Scottish Cup 2018/2019

newcastle broon

39 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

The Welfare are debt free ;)

Maybe the floodlights are a goer if they reach the quarter finals :whistle

Delighted they debt free.

I think floodlights are pretty costly - maybe around 58k but I’m sure there are one or two grants that can account for about 40% of the costs.

Dream would be to get to the third round - nice wee 12k in the floodlights kitty. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Delighted they debt free.

I think floodlights are pretty costly - maybe around 58k but I’m sure there are one or two grants that can account for about 40% of the costs.

Dream would be to get to the third round - nice wee 12k in the floodlights kitty. 

The thing about floodlights is as there used predominantly in the winter ww pitch is not the most reliable in those months....in truth it would be somewhat of a false investment for Whitehill for say maybe 3 games a year....the location of Ferguson park also us a bit of a problem...it's not just lighting up the pitch..any balls that go out of the park etc would be lost straight away at night...I know it sounds petty but it would be one if the many issues 

5 minutes ago, magoo said:

The thing about floodlights is as there used predominantly in the winter ww pitch is not the most reliable in those months....in truth it would be somewhat of a false investment for Whitehill for say maybe 3 games a year....the location of Ferguson park also us a bit of a problem...it's not just lighting up the pitch..any balls that go out of the park etc would be lost straight away at night...I know it sounds petty but it would be one if the many issues 

Can’t argue or disagree with any of that. Makes perfect sense. 

I just feel that the LL sooner or later will have to adopt the stricter criteria of their Highland counterparts by making floodlights mandatory. 

Suspect they’d love WW, Civil and VOL to exit league over next few seasons to help implement a rule change. 

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Dalbeattie v Kelty, Gretna v Vale and Whitehill v Edinburgh Uni means 3 LL clubs are guaranteed to exit but equally 3 are guaranteed to progress - alongside BSCG who benefit from Selkirk's demise to get a bye.

Forres v Civil Service is a really interesting tie... as both are exceeding expectations and flying high at the top of their respective divisions. CSS certainly the potential at least to get a replay.

Cumbernauld will be strong favourites at Burntisland. East Stirlingshire will be favourites to dispatch Huntly, and at home Gala will be favourites against toiling Lossiemouth.

Stirling v Keith looks a finely-balanced tie, and will almost certainly go ahead on the Sunday (due to Stirling Albion being at home the day before). Edusport won't be favourites against Buckie, but they're mid-table this season, and at 'home' in plastic the Frenchmen and their chums could spring a surprise to shock the visitors.

Overall a good draw for LL teams if they can play to their potential.

Interesting trip to dalbeattie for Kelty. A tricky place for any team to go to. East Stirlingshire will be hoping they fare a bit better than last time they travelled to Huntly when they crashed out the cup at the first hurdle.

2 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I just feel that the LL sooner or later will have to adopt the stricter criteria of their Highland counterparts by making floodlights mandatory. 

Suspect they’d love WW, Civil and VOL to exit league over next few seasons to help implement a rule change. 

I'm not sure the lowland league power brokers are desperate to see anyone leave,I may be naive to think so, but there always seems to have been a level of respect from all clubs involved from the offset regardless of there set up etc, the junior revolt of the last 18 months had had virtually no impact on the ll or was in anyway influenced by,I agree in time all teams will  probably find there correct level but I don't think the lowland league are in a desperate need to get rid of any clubs 

2 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

As the LL are the clubs there's at least 3/15 that probably wouldn't love it :)

20 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

Interesting trip to dalbeattie for Kelty. A tricky place for any team to go to. East Stirlingshire will be hoping they fare a bit better than last time they travelled to Huntly when they crashed out the cup at the first hurdle.

At least we avoid LTHV this year :)

Hopefully fair better this year than we have on the last two ventures! 

17 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Would any replays be played the following Saturday or would clubs wi floodlights play midweek ?

Following weekend, unless both clubs agree to midweek (which only happens very occasionally mainly in all-SPFL ties in R2-3). Only from R4 onward do 2nd attempts go straight to midweek.

Deveronvale v Bonnyrigg
Edusport v Buckie
Forres v Civil Service
Gala v Lossiemouth
Huntly v East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow v Fort William
Strathspey v Coldstream
Stirling Uni v Keith

Big weekend for LL and indeed EOSL sides, and if FN is anything to go by the Highlanders hold surprisingly gloomy hopes for their northern prospects against the southerner.

So far only Civil Service seem to have been written-off , with Gala, 'Shire and Coldstream tipped to draw, and views varying on Bonnyrigg's chances.

the-highland-clearances_prebble.jpg

Remarkable day in the recent history of both Highland and Lowland pyramids as HL sides widely beaten: only Deveronvale winning, and Forres drawing.

Burntisland 1-4 Cumbernauld
Dalbeattie 0-0 Kelty
Edusport 3-1 Buckie
Forres 2-2 Civil Service
Gala 6-0 Lossiemouth
Gretna 3-2 Vale of Leithen
Huntly 1-4 East Stirlingshire
Whitehill 1-0 Edinburgh Uni
(Sun) Stirling Uni v Keith

Deveronvale 2-1 Bonnyrigg
Linlithgow 3-0 Fort William
Strathspey 0-2 Coldstream