Rate your Transfer Window

Shamelessly stolen from the Premiership thread but how would you rate your teams business this window?

Ayr have made very few changes to the squad this season but those we’ve brought in have been considerably better than the ones we’ve let go.

In
Ross Doohan (loan) - Celtic
Daniel Harvie - Aberdeen
Liam Smith - St Mirren
Andy Murdoch - Morton

Out
Jordan Hart
Paddy Boyle
Craig Reid
Lyle Avci

Our most impressive business has of course been keeping hold of some crucial players so overall I’d say we’ve done some impressive business this window.

9/10

Jury most definitely not still out for me. Hartley and Superscout have presided over the most calamitous overhaul of a playing staff ever seen at this level of football.

Something like 16 or 17 players brought in, yet we are unable to field a team of players in their natural positions that you would consider acceptable.

To take a side that couldn’t kick its own arse in the first half of last season, and actually make it significantly worse for this season is just ridiculous.

He was given every trust, and pissed all over it. It would be one weird football club that would go anywhere near him now.

Yeah, pretty happy.

Going to ignore last season's loan players departing as that was inevitable and out of our control, though Todd returned on a permanent deal. In terms of last season's departures we lost:

Shaun Rooney (Inverness), John Rankin (Clyde), Derek Lyle (Peterhead), Dan Carmichael (Cumnock), Ross Ferguson (Annan), Jesse Akubuine (still clubless I think)

In have come:

Gary Harkins (Morton), Josh Todd (St Mirren), Callum Semple (Sheffield Utd), Michael Doyle (Morton), Adam Frizzell (Kilmarnock), David Norman Jr (Vancouver Whitecaps) & young players Dean Watson (Carlisle Utd) and Charlie Exley (Gateshead).

A little inconsistent I suppose as my In list includes loans but the out one doesnt.

Harkins has given us the creative midfielder we have missed since McShane left. He has been terrific so far. A very different player to Rankin / Joe Thomson but ideal for our style.

Todd isnt really new I suppose as he was here last year on loan.

Semple is a massive upgrade on Kyle Cameron as a loan centre half.

Michael Doyle has given us the pacey defender we lacked before. He is a much better defender than Rooney too.

We havent seen Frizzell or Norman yet. Frizzell effectively replaces clubmate Dom Thomas as a loan winger and both in turn replaced Dan Carmichael whose undoubted talent was wasted by injury. No idea at this stage what Norman will offer.

The likes of Owen Bell, Dean Watson and Charlie Exley will likely offer more than Jesse Akubuine did last year. Bell in particular looks ready to contribute more.

The lack of an out and out 3rd forward to replace Lyle (should have been Ferguson's role before his own departure) does leave us weaker up top as Declan Tremble is still young for that role but the current formation doesnt necessarily need a third striker and opportunities would be severely limited if Dobbie and Dykes remain fit anyway.

Overall given our financial restrictions its been a better window than we could have hoped for.

Archived