There is no such thing as an independent Scotland.

Jambo99

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

The notes will have all the famous landmarks of this great land. Sheep, coos and shortbread tins.

They would probably be covered in realky tacky images like Robert Burns, Robert the Bruce and the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

Cringe.

14 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Aye, they did.

My source

"Scottish money was abolished as a circulating currency at the Act of Union in 1707.However, the valued rent of land , and in many places, feu duties and ministers stipends , schoolmaster`s salaries,  and other parochial payments were still reckoned  by the pound Scots and the merk, or mark, for some considerable time after theUnion. But payment was made in English pounds sterling.

Both the English and the Scottish pound  was made up of twenty shillings, each of twelve pence. Thus there were 240 pence in a pound. But there were 12 Scots pounds to the English pound. The merk was 2/3rds of a Scottish pound or 13 shillings and fourpence."

If you have any evidence to the contrary please oblige. 

On 01/09/2018 at 01:29, Jambo99 said:

An independent Scotland is impossible. 

An independent Scotland is worse than a Scotland in the United Kingdom of of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. 

You're the guy that called Gandhi a racist, aren't you?

Know that when you hear moderates of all types talk about the zoomers, they're talking about you.

Know that when you hear moderates of all types talk about the zoomers, they're talking about you.

Wasn’t Ghandi virulently racist towards black people?

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Wasn’t Ghandi virulently racist towards black people?

Some people say so, though on the evidence I would say he was substantially less racist than Churchill (though people who complain that "you're not allowed to say nuffing in this country" would tell me I'm not allowed to say that).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34265882

The OPer said 'all nationalism is bad cos it's bad and all nationalists are bad cos nationalism is bad. Cos it is.' I felt that lacked, y'know, nuance. And logic.

I'm so completely sick to death of the zoomers on both sides of this debate. 

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ive never said that. 

I can't agree with the boomer thing. 

(also I just noticed I typed "of of".)

To my mind Independence is inevitable once the Scottish people wake up to the amount of financial no lube screwing we get from Westminster, you only have to travel around the Tory dominated southern and home counties to see where the money is being spent.

The HS2 railway project is now up to an estimated £56 Billion cost and did you know that Scotland has to provide 10% of that money out of our budget even though the line will never reach Scotland!  The Chancellor sets Westminster spending priorities then it's worked out how much will be spent in england before allocating a percentage of the spend to all the home nations. So we will pay for something we will never see, feckin fantastic eh and there's something you Unionists support, fools all.

£34 Billion plus another £10 Billion set aside for overrun for a nuclear missile system where the UK are not allowed to service the guidance systems but see that they are sent back to the states for the service, another feckin waste of money and another no lube shafting!

£15 Billion for the London Crossrail rail project.

Billions spent needlessly acting as if they were still an Empire with two new aircraft carriers while our hospitals and NHS are falling apart.

Westminsters Scottish oil and gas tax revenue from 1978 to 2015 comes to £64.2 Billion.

Now look around your towns and cities  here in Scotland and tell me about all the grandiose big money projects that has been part funded by that oil revenue.

Wakey feckin Wakey or continue dropping yer troosers and smile as you get shafted and laughed at. 

20 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

To my mind Independence is inevitable once the Scottish people wake up to the amount of financial no lube screwing we get from Westminster, you only have to travel around the Tory dominated southern and home counties to see where the money is being spent.

The HS2 railway project is now up to an estimated £56 Billion cost and did you know that Scotland has to provide 10% of that money out of our budget even though the line will never reach Scotland!  The Chancellor sets Westminster spending priorities then it's worked out how much will be spent in england before allocating a percentage of the spend to all the home nations. So we will pay for something we will never see, feckin fantastic eh and there's something you Unionists support, fools all.

£34 Billion plus another £10 Billion set aside for overrun for a nuclear missile system where the UK are not allowed to service the guidance systems but see that they are sent back to the states for the service, another feckin waste of money and another no lube shafting!

£15 Billion for the London Crossrail rail project.

Billions spent needlessly acting as if they were still an Empire with two new aircraft carriers while our hospitals and NHS are falling apart.

Westminsters Scottish oil and gas tax revenue from 1978 to 2015 comes to £64.2 Billion.

Now look around your towns and cities  here in Scotland and tell me about all the grandiose big money projects that has been part funded by that oil revenue.

Wakey feckin Wakey or continue dropping yer troosers and smile as you get shafted and laughed at. 

I travel in and out of London most of the year. I've no doubt whatsoever the only driver in all that May is doing is the City of London. The Square Mile is shitting themselves that their world will drift away to Paris or Frankfurt. In Boris' last big speech before he left the Mayor's office he declared that TfL needed an additional £3.3bn per year to 2030 just to keep the infrastructure growing. The £15bn for Crossrail, to get chaps from  Leadenhall to Heathrow quicker at the weekend, was the opening price. The project is well overspent, due largely to strikes and inflated labour rates when the unions realised there was more work than skilled tradesman, and anything short of £20bn will be a miracle. The project is running very late and the penalties per week will be massive, we'll never see that published. Part of the delay at Spurs new place was due to lack of electricians because they are still down the tunnels earning a fortune.

HS2 has likewise been holding at £56bn for two years but that's another cover story. All that cost so far has been for professional fees and only recently some contracts for Euston Station. Nothing at all for the actual train set, which is widely reported as being significantly more challenging than HS1, nor anything at the Curzon Street station in Birmingham. And that's only phase 1.  HS1 cost £11bn  for 67 miles of track, average £80m per mile. By comparison, France TGV built a line from Paris-Strasbourg at the same tim for £22m per mile. Although maybe they didn't redevelop a staion like St Pancras, the Eurostar terminal, which concidentally at the same time was linked by new walkways to King's Cross which also had a major refurbishment.  Handy! 

And then there was the Olympics. A Great British event because a few football games were scattered around the island. Meanwhile, London's East end was regenerated with roads, the canal system was recovered under the guise of getting suppliers to deliver via barge rather than road. Stratford International was built cleverly incorporating London buses, DLR, Jubilee Tube line, Eurostar and main line services. All wrapped up in The People's Games.

£4bn for a new sewer down the Thames. £1bn for Tilbury Docks 2. On and on. All paid for by the UK tax payer. People in London like to tell you that 30% of the country's money comes from them. So I like to tell them that means 70% of their money comes from the rest of the country. 

https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2018/04/18-fears-grow-over-true-cost.html

Sooner we are away from that thieving mess the better. English Regions need to wake up too.

Archived