Next permanent Morton manager

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jury was still out on Ray for me. But on the face of it his record still stands up. 

Did well at Brechin and Raith. Dundee United haven't exactly improved since he left them and had a decent start in the league with us (albeit small sample size). 

I'm not sure about Falkirk. Obviously they are on a downward trajectory and have been very much pissing about in the same league as Morton for a few seasons, with probably a much bigger budget, which hasn't paid off in terms of getting them promoted. It's obviously still very early in the season, so all results are still possible, but it would be a pretty decent achievement for them to make the playoffs given the teams in the Championship now. 

As for Morton, we have now lost 2 competent managers in 5 months. We also have lost a core of decent young players with none or very little compensation. We have this massively failed strategy of signing everyone on a 1 year contract - whether they are promising young players, experienced pros or outstanding candidates for the position of manager.  

Surely we have a budget that extends beyond 12 months, so inevitably we are going to pay a managers salary beyond May 2019, as well as the salaries of 12 to 15 1st team professionals... so why handicap ourselves by doing this in 12 month chunks and basically having to replace half the team most summers. 

It's great that we have a youth system in place that is starting to produce for the 1st team, but we are doing it far too half baked meaning we will never really see the fruits of this as decent young players end up leaving at the end of their short term contracts. I accept that some players were reluctant to sign longer deals, but I'm sure this wasn't the case with many guys who have now moved on. 

Hopkin aint exactly the solution to this problem give his short tenure at Livvy, but at least it would make us all feel better about what has happened in 2018, so far. 

This is a Morton thread. Yeah I know, you're a daftie.

I think you’ll find this is a Falkirk thread, where Falkirk fans are having a release of Euphoria at having poached Ray McKinnon (seriously). Taunting ‘Ton fans about how difficult it will be to replace him (yeah, seriously), and how they are likely to suffer demise as a result.

All this whilst propping up the division. Ye couldnae make it up.

Nothing like signing a manager on deadline day so that he can then blame the fact he had no time to sign the players he wanted and has to work with what was there. Pretty shitty behaviour voluntarily leaving a club at that point as well. No class. Will fit in well at his new club.

1 minute ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I think you’ll find this is a Falkirk thread, where Falkirk fans are having a release of Euphoria at having poached Ray McKinnon (seriously). Taunting ‘Ton fans about how difficult it will be to replace him (yeah, seriously), and how they are likely to suffer demise as a result.

Nothing like signing a manager on deadline day so that he can then blame the fact he had no time to sign the players he wanted and has to work with what was there. Pretty shitty behaviour voluntarily leaving a club at that point as well. No class. Will fit in well at his new club.

No being funny here but your hardly storming the league, being a whole 3 points off the bottom as well a win for us and a defeat for you puts you in as much sh*t as us

I see the tears and snotters are contagious.

Imagine coming in here trying to claim that this hasn't been absolutely hilarious.

Also, poor form on the "No class" thing. A nasty thing to say IMO.

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

No being funny here but your hardly storming the league, being a whole 3 points off the bottom as well a win for us and a defeat for you puts you in as much sh*t as us

I almost said fair comment because I'm a fair guy. However whilst we're signing players to add to a healthy squad your Circus act becomes ever more complex.

But I won't crow too hard as I'm a humble football supporter. I think we will win today and I think we'll win promotion.

I think Falkirk will do better under McKinnon but how hard would that be?

Spoiler

Hopkin only sensible choice. Replace McKinnon who has done nothing as player or manager with a Manager who had successful playing career, with top managers and clubs and has proven he can get a squad together and gain promotion.

5 minutes ago, LiviTon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hopkin only sensible choice. Replace McKinnon who has done nothing as player or manager with a Manager who had successful playing career, with top managers and clubs and has proven he can get a squad together and gain promotion.

He speaketh the truth.

Archived