USA pub etiquette

Cosmic Joe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Heading to California next week. What's the code of conduct buying drinks in a pub? 

Is it pay at the bar per drink/ round with a tip each time or tip the bartender before you leave?

I just tip each time if paying each round at bar or tip on the total bill at the end if they open up a tab. Depends on the place whether they'll offer to open up a tab.

A dollar a beer is standard for tipping, more if it's cocktails or whatever where they've put more effort in

39 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Heading to California next week. What's the code of conduct buying drinks in a pub? 

Is it pay at the bar per drink/ round with a tip each time or tip the bartender before you leave?

A dollar with the first and generous tip for the last worked for me. It'll depend how fancy the bar is, but in normal ones there isn't the strict 15-25% rule you get in restaurants, otherwise the barman would be earning more than the owner.

Guest Bob Mahelp

American bars are the best anywhere. 

Just plonk yourself down at the bar and ask if you can start a tab. If the bar isn't packed you'll have no problem. 

I've never come across a bartender who isn't sharp as anything at serving the bevvy or won't chat if he/she's on a quiet night. Within no time at all you'll be talking to whoever sits next to you, and they'll love that you come from Scotland. 

In quiet moments there'll be any sport you can think of on multiple TV's, and if you time it right you'll get the after-work single (*or married but pretending to be single) burds wandering in in high heels and tight skirts to knock back a few vodkas while eyeing you up. 

Makes me feel like booking a flight to America just now. 

I kinda miss buying rounds. All the bars in my town will just assume you want to start a tab so you have to point out if you just want to pay now. The only other downside of the tab system is there are times when you get a bit of a shock at the end of the night when you get your check.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Within no time at all you'll be talking to whoever sits next to you, and they'll love that you come from Scotland. 

This is absolutely true and can actually be a total pain in the arse when all you want to do is have a pint and a read of the paper on your own in silence, which let's face it, is one of life's greatest pleasures. Generally speaking, though, it's great being Scottish in America.

If you don't tip, the people who served your food and drinks earn less money. Servers in the US take their jobs very seriously and, for the most part, they're excellent at their jobs and work really hard. Waitstaff typically make a couple of bucks an hour, but they're taxed at what they would be expected to make through tips. So if you don't tip, your server is probably out of pocket for the pleasure of serving you. They're also going to assume they did something wrong, so you've put them in a shitty mood for the rest of the day. The waitstaff at my local probably make a couple of hundred bucks on a busy night thanks to tips, compared to the 16 to 24 bucks the pub actually pays them. I usually tip 25% or so and as a result, my double Laphroaig is usually pretty generous. Also, the tips are typically distributed among the key staff in the restaurant. So your server gets the bulk, but then they have to contribute percentages for the bartender, the runner, the host / hostess, the bus boys.

So would you get your glass spat in next time? Probably not. But you'd be best ordering your steak well done, coz you're probably getting the skankiest piece of shit they have at the back of the fridge. 

1 hour ago, MSU said:

If you don't tip, the people who served your food and drinks earn less money. Servers in the US take their jobs very seriously and, for the most part, they're excellent at their jobs and work really hard. Waitstaff typically make a couple of bucks an hour, but they're taxed at what they would be expected to make through tips. So if you don't tip, your server is probably out of pocket for the pleasure of serving you. They're also going to assume they did something wrong, so you've put them in a shitty mood for the rest of the day. The waitstaff at my local probably make a couple of hundred bucks on a busy night thanks to tips, compared to the 16 to 24 bucks the pub actually pays them. I usually tip 25% or so and as a result, my double Laphroaig is usually pretty generous. Also, the tips are typically distributed among the key staff in the restaurant. So your server gets the bulk, but then they have to contribute percentages for the bartender, the runner, the host / hostess, the bus boys.

So would you get your glass spat in next time? Probably not. But you'd be best ordering your steak well done, coz you're probably getting the skankiest piece of shit they have at the back of the fridge. 

Thank goodness i live in a country where there is no tipping culture!  

5 hours ago, MSU said:

Mental system. Genuinely infuriating,

A few of the bars we were at had table service and set up a tab for us. The bill at the end of the night came and had a suggested tip on it (IIRC ~15%) but we left a bit more as it was rammed and the barmaids were rushed off their feet. It's mental how polite all the service staff over there even when they're busy.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Presumably folk who work in bars in America can't get mortgages.  2 spot an hour?  f**k that.

They can, because they’re taxed on their tips and that’s what appears on their tax returns. 

It also differs by state. Waiting staff in California must get at least the state minimum wage of $11 / hour in addition to any tips.
It's a hard job and it's still a low wage so I give near 20%.

My quick rule is just to double the first number(s) and add $1.

$44.76 = $9
$35.80 = $7
$86.98 = $17
$130.34 = $27
Under $20 I usually leave $4 or $5.

I'd throw another $2 or $3 on there if the service was really good. Like my refill was right there as soon as I've finished.

I don't tip anyone else although I use Uber rather than taxis.

Archived