Early impressions?

1 hour ago, Shogun2 said:

I'm not often described as nice.. Better make the most of it.. Love visiting the new grounds too.. Some fantastic set ups.. But the journey home could be better.. #miserable

Totally agree, you’ve ruined the ambience at Warner Park in many an occasion :thumsup2

Gordon I was also at the IHS v LR game, decided to venture down, yes the teams were leagues apart but looks like the Swifts are trying to create a age 5 to seniors team. Can’t see them getting anyone supporting them who isn’t already associated with the team, but with hundreds of young players it should help. I will be back on days Dunfermline aren’t playing, everyone knows this season was never going to set the bank on fire, next year will be more challenging.
Inverkeithing's a big enough place to support a team, especially when the will be a few hundred families with a connection to the club. They're following the same path as Cumbernauld Colts, who are doing well enough in the LL and have had some decent Scottish Cup results, and Bonnytoun Thistle in the SoSFL. You can see they're getting the foundations right, and the squad is a mix of experienced older guys and young tyros. I'm sure they'll do well in the long run.

Is anybody able to shed a bit more light on the new set up for me?

I know there's 3 conferences A, B and C in the EOSL and we have the SOSL alongside it leading to an opportunity for progression to the LL. What confuses me slightly is how it came about with many Junior sides going senior and the licensing headache I've read snippets about?

Also, are there plans to make alterations to the conference style set up from next season? There are a few sides that appear out their depth and some crazy results taking place...

Cheers in advance for anyone who takes the time to explain some of this for me.

23 minutes ago, Pete83 said:

I know there's 3 conferences A, B and C in the EOSL and we have the SOSL alongside it leading to an opportunity for progression to the LL. What confuses me slightly is how it came about with many Junior sides going senior and the licensing headache I've read snippets about?

Also, are there plans to make alterations to the conference style set up from next season? There are a few sides that appear out their depth and some crazy results taking place...

Cheers in advance for anyone who takes the time to explain some of this for me.

Top 5 from each and potentially best 6th wI'll form a premier league next year. The rest will falk into whatever they decide to do next season. Whether it's conferences at tier 7  depends who joins etc

59 minutes ago, Pete83 said:

This thread caused the entire thing https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/244580-junior-football-what-is-the-future/ ;)

The short answer is that the SFA requires a club to join the pyramid to get licensed. Kelty wanted to get licensed, so they stole a march on everyone and joined the EOS first. 6 months later Dalkeith announced they were moving over to gain their license, and later Bonnyrigg. Others moved to keep the local derbies or so as to not get left behind.

The licensing embargo was supposed to be during the summer while talks were ongoing with the SJFA (whose members voted to join the pyramid).

Next season the top 5 teams in each conference (plus maybe 1 or 2 more) will make up EOS Premier Division of 16 teams. Below that will depend on number of teams and how many move across from the Juniors.

There's some crazy results because each conference contains a spread of abilities.

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

This thread caused the entire thing https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/244580-junior-football-what-is-the-future/ ;)

The short answer is that the SFA requires a club to join the pyramid to get licensed. Kelty wanted to get licensed, so they stole a march on everyone and joined the EOS first. 6 months later Dalkeith announced they were moving over to gain their license, and later Bonnyrigg. Others moved to keep the local derbies or so as to not get left behind.

The licensing embargo was during the summer while talks were ongoing with the SJFA (whose members voted to join the pyramid).

Next season the top 5 teams in each conference (plus maybe 1 or 2 more) will make up EOS Premier Division of 16 teams. Below that will depend on number of teams and how many move across from the Juniors.

There's some crazy results because each conference contains a spread of abilities.

It's hard to overlook Clydebank's vote to go senior. A vote to  return to senior football with no clear destination helped push the discussion and made it seem more viable over remaining junior.

2 hours ago, Pete83 said:

I know there's 3 conferences A, B and C in the EOSL and we have the SOSL alongside it leading to an opportunity for progression to the LL. What confuses me slightly is how it came about with many Junior sides going senior

Kelty moved last season. Dalkeith announced their intention to move about the turn of the year then by February this trickle had become a stream of about 6 clubs (but it included Clydebank and amateur side St Bernards, IIRC). Then by deadline of 31st March this had become a flood with 13 clubs applying... not including those 2, nor Dundonald who withdrew their application on the day of EGM on April 26th, when all were admitted. Following this the deadline was extended to 31st May and the flood became a tidal wave with 13 more clubs applying - including Dundonald - and all were admitted at AGM on June 7th.

At one point during the height of spring it was a bit like the high drama of general election night - hardly an evening passing without some club calling an emergency meeting, or announcing their intent to move - and in the end the majority of Juniors south of the Tay did, including all Superleaguers except 1. There are no Junior clubs in East Lothian, Midlothian, Edinburgh or Clackmannanshire... 9 in West Lothian; 9 in Fife (including Newburgh + Tayport); 1 in Perth.

To fairly accommodate 26 new members alongside 13 existing members a 'conference' format was adopted, not hierarchical divisions.

2 hours ago, Pete83 said:

Teams were put in conferences according to a rank system based on last season's finishing positions: with Hawick (relegated from LL) in position #1, then the 12 existing EOSL members from #2-#13, then the East Juniors from #14-#37, then Dunipace from the West Juniors at #38, then 'newly-formed' Inverkeithing at #39. They were then allocated to the conferences from left to right i.e. Conference A got #1, #4, #7 etc.; Conference B got #2, #5, #8 etc.; Conference C got #3, #6, #9 etc. In this way, the conferences should all have a reasonably equal spread of ability, to give a reasonably equal chance of qualifying for the new Premier Division.

As noted the new Premier Division will contain anyone relegated from LL east of the salt & sauce line; the top 5s from each conference; and howevermany of the best 6th places to make 16. It isn't known what will happen to remainder i.e. conferences again, regional divisions, whatever.

Thanks for the summaries guys. I've only ever known Musselburgh as a Junior side so was surprised to see them in the EOS set up then shocked to see the Junior set up on this side of the country had effectively collapsed!

It was a fair bit to try and get my head around and these replies clear it all up. Roll on tomorrow, the Burgh Vs. Dunbar!

No worries. There's also an Under 20 league for Lowland & East of Scotland clubs (some SPFL and South of Scotland clubs too) which you have a team in as well.

Cups you enter are as follows:

South Challenge Cup ... for all Lowland, East and South clubs (plus Glasgow Uni)
Gala v Musselburgh in R2 on Sat 15th Sep

EOS Qualifying Cup ... for most Lowland and all East clubs... finalists qualify to join Berwick and Edinburgh City in EOS Cup
Penicuik v Musselburgh in R2 on Sat 22nd Sep

King Cup ... for all East clubs
LTHV v Musselburgh in R2 on Sat 2nd Mar

EOS League Cup ... for East clubs qualifying from the EOS Qualifying League
Musselburgh v Hill of Beath/Edinburgh Utd in R1 on date tbc

Alex Jack Cup ... for East clubs not in the Scottish Cup ... winner plays champion of equivalent SOS tournament in South & East Cup-Winners' Shield for place in next season's Scottish Cup
lost at Dalkeith in R2

12 minutes ago, Pete83 said:

Thanks for the summaries guys. I've only ever known Musselburgh as a Junior side so was surprised to see them in the EOS set up then shocked to see the Junior set up on this side of the country had effectively collapsed!

It was a fair bit to try and get my head around and these replies clear it all up. Roll on tomorrow, the Burgh Vs. Dunbar!

The good thing is it's happened fairly quickly - one season of Kelty getting a jump on everyone, and a second transition season integrating the Juniors (maybe a third when the rest move over next season below the Premier Division). There's no longer any artificial barrier between teams like Whitehill and Bonnyrigg, Musselburgh and Preston, or Burntisland and Crossgates.

Did a search for Musselburgh in the big Juniors thread - always interesting to look back and see what they were saying and how quickly things have changed!

Archived