Sectional League Cup Final

Kennie

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Nocknosh1988 said:

Should of been at Cumnock under the lights would of attracted big crowd. 

You can't ask the Gow boys to travel down midweek to a shanty town next to Auchinleck.  Darvel was the ideal venue for both clubs even Muirkirk remembering we were made to play Kilbirnie in the 2005 Ayrshire Cup final at Lugar.

6 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

Not actually sure what venue would have been of a decent standard and equidistant-has anyone worked out the geography?

The ones along the A71 axis - Hurlford/Darvel - would have probably been the best shouts. Muirkirk is actually almost bang in the middle, but isn't served well by public transport even on a Saturday which would have been a factor.

If you'd gone for the in one team's backyard option any of Glenafton, Cumnock, Lanark or even Carluke could have been possibilities. As it is, the only people Newlandsfield will suit are some neutrals like me - I'm 10mins away on the train - and the West high heid yins.

This doesn't really suit either support who'll have to trail in from East Ayrshire or rural South Lanarkshire on a Sunday though.

Would be intresting to hear what criteria they use to pick grounds . Im not 100% sure but thought i had heard that both dugouts had to be at the same side so the useful 4th official could keep a eye out on them both . Could be a load of rubbish but might explain why some grounds arent picked . Happy to be told im completely wrong thou .

13 minutes ago, eaglelok said:

Would be intresting to hear what criteria they use to pick grounds . Im not 100% sure but thought i had heard that both dugouts had to be at the same side so the useful 4th official could keep a eye out on them both . Could be a load of rubbish but might explain why some grounds arent picked . Happy to be told im completely wrong thou .

Been a few finals at Troon and Beith recently and Meadow so that kicks that to the kerb. Decent working toilets for fans must not come into the equation, but then again its not the fans that are filling the paper plates with finger and sausage rolls.

A few weeks ago, I sent out the following email to all 63 clubs in the region.
To all clubs The West Region are looking to hold Cup Finals at suitable venues. Would your club like to host a Final? Does your venue fit the bill? Sell it to us. Tell us why you think we should come to you. Tell us about your facilities and why they would be suitable. Tell us about the benefits we would get by holding it there. Tell us about transport links and nearby facilities for fans etc. It's over to you. Reply to me via a separate message preferably with a PDF listing your application. Many Thanks Kennie Young Fixture Secretary WRSJFA   The response to this was very, very disappointing indeed. It was our intention to try and find suitable venues to take our finals to outwith the 'normal suspects'. We are also considering, for next season anyway, announcing at the start of the season where the final will be placed, and no matter who gets to that final, that's where it's to be. But back to the matter in question. As I said, the response to my email was very poor, 8 clubs replied. On this occasion we also had a request from Lesmahagow Juniors F.C. to consider and that played a part in our deliberations. It is, therefore, our view that Newlandsfield is the best option out of those 8 applicants.

Is there a criteria for hosting finals?

Surely the powers that be consider various factors before granting these games?

Facilities
Parking
Accessibility
Catering
Licensed premises
Disabled access and facilities
Ability to host official delegates
Etc.........

Although I applaud the sentiment in seeking applications, surely there must be a short list of venues who possess the capability of hosting such an event?

One recent example, is when I attended a final at Meadow Park recently when Cumnock played Talbot. I’m sure everyone on here will agree that this is a brilliant traditional junior park. On this occasion the lack of parking and access to the park made for terrible queues and cars being left abandoned in residential areas which didn’t go down well with some local home owners.

I’m well aware that we are talking about junior football “stadiums” here, but there must be other factors to consider other than deciding to plump for the “go to” venues constantly.

Show some imagination. You may be surprised!

I know everybody and their granny always talk up their club, but, I have to say my club has a facility that would have ticked most of the boxes that have been mentioned on here to host a final

Parking - 2 good sized, surfaced car parks and another good sized unsurfaced but level space , ideal for buses / minibuses

Transport - on most main bus routes - would have been easier if not a Sunday like Sunday service in most areas, not as frequent as on other days

Facilities - a good snack facility (Nock Nosh) and also a social club on site - Money going to somebody connected with the Junior game - not a private concern

Hospitality - one large room upstairs and also another room downstairs for officials /guests etc

Floodlights - if game was to b midweek

Astro pitch - not every bodies cup of tea, but, as good an Astro facility as there is

Let’s look at Pollok

Plus point - train station next to park

Minus points -

Parking - Naw
Social club - Naw
Catering - Naw
Playing surface - fair but not excellent
Hospitality facilities - only for the Blazers

Remind me again Why Pollok ????!!!!!

17 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

If you’re right with your guess (although we’ve been told St Rochs were one) then ANY of the others would have done. They’ve expressed interest, the desire for new, or different venues has been expressed yet it’s back to the same place.  Makes no sense

I believe the clubs were,

Pollok,Darvel,Irvine Meadow,St Rochs,Troon,Beith,Cambuslang and Cumbernauld.

22 minutes ago, Bul2 said:

I know everybody and their granny always talk up their club, but, I have to say my club has a facility that would have ticked most of the boxes that have been mentioned on here to host a final

Parking - 2 good sized, surfaced car parks and another good sized unsurfaced but level space , ideal for buses / minibuses

Transport - on most main bus routes - would have been easier if not a Sunday like Sunday service in most areas, not as frequent as on other days

Facilities - a good snack facility (Nock Nosh) and also a social club on site - Money going to somebody connected with the Junior game - not a private concern

Hospitality - one large room upstairs and also another room downstairs for officials /guests etc

Floodlights - if game was to b midweek

Astro pitch - not every bodies cup of tea, but, as good an Astro facility as there is

Let’s look at Pollok

Plus point - train station next to park

Minus points -

Parking - Naw
Social club - Naw
Catering - Naw
Playing surface - fair but not excellent
Hospitality facilities - only for the Blazers

Remind me again Why Pollok ????!!!!!

Cumnock, Auchinleck and Glenafton will never be in the equation due to geography unless two local sides meet each another. On saying that the recent Glens v Talbot Ardagh Cup final was played at Irvine.

17 hours ago, peasy23 said:
18 hours ago, fan of the juniors said:
Am I right in saying Pollok didn’t host a final last season ?

Yes, Somervell Park, New Tinto and Meadow Park x 2 hosted the 4 regional finals. Pollok last hosted the West Final in 2016, and that was the only final they hosted that season too.

The 2016 Evening Times final was at Pollok: Talbot vs Renfrew

Archived