Sectional League Cup Final

Kennie

Eight replies, which were presumably up for hosting, yet it goes to Pollok again. Good on Kennie for answering but it’s the venue of choice for these things. Whether the reason is that it’s a good purvey or just close to the officials home it doesn’t matter. The truth is it could have gone to anywhere else and been applauded. There has been debate on here since the finalists were known. No one wanted Newlandsfield but we all knew it would happen. It’s almost as if they’re twisted enough to do it deliberately. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We (St Roch's) applied to host the final

We gave a number of reasons why we feel we have a venue that would be suitable.... it would be excellent if the committee could let us know if there was a specific reason why we did not get it and we could look t make the appropriate improvements to give us a better chance next time?

This is not a moan - just looking for some guidance that would support us in our bid for future finals?

Thanks

Eight replies, which were presumably up for hosting, yet it goes to Pollok again. Good on Kennie for answering but it’s the venue of choice for these things. Whether the reason is that it’s a good purvey or just close to the officials home it doesn’t matter. The truth is it could have gone to anywhere else and been applauded. There has been debate on here since the finalists were known. No one wanted Newlandsfield but we all knew it would happen. It’s almost as if they’re twisted enough to do it deliberately. 
Assuming Pollok were 1 of the 8, what's the guesses on the other 7.
I'm guessing Meadow, Maryhill, Cambuslang, Beith, Ladeside, Benburb, Troon.
If that's right, I'd say Pollok is the right choice.
Also what is the Lesmahagow input that was taken into consideration? Perhaps Hong Kong Phooey could let us know.

15 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Assuming Pollok were 1 of the 8, what's the guesses on the other 7.
I'm guessing Meadow, Maryhill, Cambuslang, Beith, Ladeside, Benburb, Troon.
If that's right, I'd say Pollok is the right choice.
Also what is the Lesmahagow input that was taken into consideration? Perhaps Hong Kong Phooey could let us know.

If you’re right with your guess (although we’ve been told St Rochs were one) then ANY of the others would have done. They’ve expressed interest, the desire for new, or different venues has been expressed yet it’s back to the same place.  Makes no sense

Am I right in saying Pollok didn’t host a final last season ?
Yes, Somervell Park, New Tinto and Meadow Park x 2 hosted the 4 regional finals. Pollok last hosted the West Final in 2016, and that was the only final they hosted that season too.

I'm not on the Lok committee any more, so I don't know what internal discussions took place before Newlandsfield was offered as a venue for this final.

I DO know that Pollok declined to host any end-of-season cup finals in 2018 and also the Evening Times final in 2017 because of the need for essential pitch works to commence.

There was also the problem that a significant number of the volunteers normally involved in match day operations would not be available due to holidays etc. (I won't be available for any duties at a Sunday 1.30pm k.o. this time round either, but presumably enough other bodies will be.)

From memory, the hosting club gets a % cut of the net gate receipts (around 10% I think), the rest being shared between the participating clubs and the West Region.

I'm not sure who pays for the refreshments etc but I'm pretty sure they're restricted to regional officials, tournament sponsors and their guests, plus a handful of top officials from the  participating clubs.

When a final's at Newlandsfield there's also the problem that the blazerati take over the main room in the pavilion, excluding the hoi-polloi - thereby cutting off access to the only female toilet in the ground!

I DO know that Pollok declined to host any end-of-season cup finals in 2017 and also the Evening Times final in 2016 because of the need for essential pitch works to commence.

Do you mean declined to host in 2018?
Because I'm pretty sure I saw Pollok beat Cumnock on penalties at Newlandsfield in the WOS Final in 2017.

I find it strange that Darvel showed no interest in hosting the final as it was roughly between both towns.

You can watch games from outside the perimeter fence at Darvel, maybe that was a factor

10 hours ago, Kennie said:

A few weeks ago, I sent out the following email to all 63 clubs in the region.

To all clubs
The West Region are looking to hold Cup Finals at suitable venues.
Would your club like to host a Final?
Does your venue fit the bill?
Sell it to us. Tell us why you think we should come to you.
Tell us about your facilities and why they would be suitable.
Tell us about the benefits we would get by holding it there.
Tell us about transport links and nearby facilities for fans etc.
It's over to you.
Reply to me via a separate message preferably with a PDF listing your application.
Many Thanks
Kennie Young
Fixture Secretary
WRSJFA

The response to this was very, very disappointing indeed. It was our intention to try and find suitable venues to take our finals to outwith the 'normal suspects'. We are also considering, for next season anyway, announcing at the start of the season where the final will be placed, and no matter who gets to that final, that's where it's to be.
But back to the matter in question. As I said, the response to my email was very poor, 8 clubs replied. On this occasion we also had a request from Lesmahagow Juniors F.C. to consider and that played a part in our deliberations. It is, therefore, our view that Newlandsfield is the best option out of those 8 applicants.

To be fair, 55 clubs probably didn't think it was worth their while as they knew that it would end up at Pollok...

For convenience alone, Hurlford or Darvel were surely the obvious choices; although technically by the shortest route Muirkirk would be in the middle (never been so don't know what the facilities are like).

ur right about us hosting the boat race, saw both oxford+ cambridge doing a recce today rowing down the river cart,  

we also put in a bid to host scotland games but were knocked back yesterday

la liga might also switch to us if the usa deal falls through

grand national is a non starter due to the eurovision song contest being being held that night in loks kitchen

cops haven't the manpower to deal with 2 events on the same day

11 hours ago, Kennie said:

A few weeks ago, I sent out the following email to all 63 clubs in the region.

To all clubs
The West Region are looking to hold Cup Finals at suitable venues.
Would your club like to host a Final?
Does your venue fit the bill?
Sell it to us. Tell us why you think we should come to you.
Tell us about your facilities and why they would be suitable.
Tell us about the benefits we would get by holding it there.
Tell us about transport links and nearby facilities for fans etc.
It's over to you.
Reply to me via a separate message preferably with a PDF listing your application.
Many Thanks
Kennie Young
Fixture Secretary
WRSJFA

The response to this was very, very disappointing indeed. It was our intention to try and find suitable venues to take our finals to outwith the 'normal suspects'. We are also considering, for next season anyway, announcing at the start of the season where the final will be placed, and no matter who gets to that final, that's where it's to be.
But back to the matter in question. As I said, the response to my email was very poor, 8 clubs replied. On this occasion we also had a request from Lesmahagow Juniors F.C. to consider and that played a part in our deliberations. It is, therefore, our view that Newlandsfield is the best option out of those 8 applicants.

It would have been nice to get a reply from the association before reading it on here , and just a wee question as we were one of the eight u or any of ur cronies been to Darvel recently to see the improvement in the park and surroundings ? 

It would have been nice to get a reply from the association before reading it on here , and just a wee question as we were one of the eight u or any of ur cronies been to Darvel recently to see the improvement in the park and surroundings ? 

Do you think the abuse your chairman gave last seasons fixture secretary on here was a factor in not getting the final?

1 minute ago, Terry Tibbs said:

Do you think the abuse your chairman gave last seasons fixture secretary on here was a factor in not getting the final?

Tt im no sure I wasn’t at the meeting but imagine the other 7 were discarded right away and pollok were getting it which isn’t right 

Tt im no sure I wasn’t at the meeting but imagine the other 7 were discarded right away and pollok were getting it which isn’t right 

I actually agree with you, definitely good for the Junior game trying different venues for finals.
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Johns comments has went against yous

Archived