SPFL2 Reserve League

Some have no cash to splash, so organic talent development may be the only route to league sustainability or even progress.

Some do have an attractive budget, so this league could be a mix of teams with u20's only, and some teams with a blend of experienced players and young players. One or two may even be mostly full time players.

Common will likely be a desire for reserves to be one step from 1st team capability to give strength in depth for the season ahead.

Better or worse than the u20's model operating last season, to provide the challenging, competitive environment for players to meet the objective of transition to first team squad?

Or is about being SPFL2 Reserve League Chapions?

Winners and losers in any new set-up. This league has 1 championship club, 3 from L1, 4 from L2 and EK taking a bold step showing their ambition. Got to be better for the lower placed teams stretching their fringe players against full-timers, young or old, but of the 42 teams in the league 16 of them don't have a reserve team. That can't be good for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Although delighted with our 4-0 away win at Raith, some of these results are quite eye opening. Alongside teams like Alloa, who had a good group of 20's last year, folding their reserves, it does perhaps reveal the financial pressures and cost cutting required to keep clubs viable. Notwithstanding, I saw some good talent in both sides last night.Screenshot_20180912-080734_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Popped along to Berwick v Livi reserves last night. Albeit both in the same (regionally designed) SPFL East Dev league last year, I was a wee bit surprised to see them in Reserve League 2. Born out by the game, in development terms, I'm not sure a 9-0 game benefits either side.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived