The Jelly Beans v The Bloo Brasil

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gibby got booked at the end for expressing the skipper's opinion on behalf of his team. I don't often comment on ref's for two reasons. Firstly, if they weren't there we wouldn't see a game. Secondly, it's not easy to see at ground level everything we can see from the stand's. And it's even harder these days with every player from both sides so quick to tell them they've got it wrong. But there was a number of easily-identifiable yellow card decisions that were ignored yesterday and of course the late penalty claim would also have been a red. Ref's are there to enforce the rules and not to interpret. This clown chose to do neither.

The game itself was an exciting one, especially given the score line. The real positive for me was the number of accurate passes played between defenders that allowed ball receivers to collect the pass and face the goal. That's the main reason we ended up with 12 attempts. McKernon, Roberts, Summers, Grant and even Gerry & Gibby all doing well here. If they keep that up we'll definitely have more goals than the last few seasons.

But of course someone has to finish. Hawke showed us a glimpse of what he has yesterday. I'd encourage him to do more of that. He also wins a lot of balls and gets into good positions. Smart is undoubtedly going to be a continuous frustration. He played some lovely visionary passes yesterday but overhit on nearly every attempt. Nice ball skills and does get himself into the six yard box which is something that's lacked before. But again that final touch needs improved on.

As for Mortimer; we've struggled for a long time with so-called strikers who seem to want to defend defenders rather than find space. Strikers who would rather get the ball into their feet with their backs to the goal and then the inevitable back pass. Strikers who neither have pace nor strength to push past thick-necked centre backs. Mortimer has developed himself on all of these skills and that's why he's making these chances. He now needs to learn that in those last few seconds he needs to swap the high energy for composure. That's a personality thing for him but he's done so well in the other components I think he'll get there. And fairly soon too with MR's help. Nobody in Hampden yesterday could have been more disappointed than Billy. Nobody puts on the Hoops planning to have a bad day. Billy's one of our own.

Compared to where we were a couple of month's ago Gus has crafted what looks a really good style of football and a winning formula. The goals will come. And maybe then we can stop moaning about bad referees.

You don't issue red cards for late penalty claims - maybe for a late penalty

52 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

To be fair, the lack of injury time in either half was puzzling. Scullion had a good game against Berwick, but was surprised to see him selected on Hampden's wide open spaces given his complete lack of pace, and indeed he was a bomb scare for the first hour. He made a couple of crucial interventions near the end.  The midfield played as though. they had never met before. McGurn excellent again. Agree with everyone else about Queens ,decent but no cutting edge.

Scullion is fine at Central Park but like you say, on a wide pitch he is going to get destroyed and left on his arse. Robbie Deas is supposedly pacey which is what our defence is crying out for. Queen's had the same problem once Renton came on for Sheerin but Gerry was quickly replaced as he was struggling against Renton - the sub made a difference and Renton didn't get a sniff after.

Buchanan in central midfield is never going to work. I think Marsh is better in defence but I would have brought Deas in and pushed Marsh forward to play alongside Malcolm in the middle.

2 hours ago, DundeeSpider1867 said:

Correct about our No. 9. Billy Mortimer, came through our Youth Ranks and actually scored his first goal for the club in approx 40 appearances last week, but completely with you on that, I've got my doubts about whether you should be our No. 9 of you can't find the corner from here!Screenshot_20180902-093715_YouTube.jpg

Nobody should ever miss a chance like that, ever.

3 hours ago, iateallthepies said:

To be fair, the lack of injury time in either half was puzzling. Scullion had a good game against Berwick, but was surprised to see him selected on Hampden's wide open spaces given his complete lack of pace, and indeed he was a bomb scare for the first hour. He made a couple of crucial interventions near the end.  The midfield played as though. they had never met before. McGurn excellent again. Agree with everyone else about Queens ,decent but no cutting edge.

Agree 100% about Pat. He did play well against Berwick but the opposition that day was poor. He’s never a centre half and I’ve seen him struggling before when he’s played there, but now that we’ve lost Gilfillan we seem don’t have much choice.. Pity the young lad never got a game.

“Penalty claim” the boy appeared to chuck himself to the ground with minimal contact. Hopefully there’s a clip of it.

Also interested to hear about all the easily identifiable bookings that the big bad Cowdenbeath players should have received...

Two points lost there.  Five cast iron chances in the first half alone.  Mind you, Cowden did the same with the two good ones they were presented with.  It's stating the bleeding obvious that we have to sort this out.  I know...easier said than done.

Positives...it's another shut out and, importantly, Gerry and Gibby showed that they weren't going to be bullied about by a bit of aggression.  We might not have been able to handle that last year.  The full backs were solid and McKernan is simply superb.  No failures for me yesterday, despite the lack of goals.  I think we're a decent side, but you can see that teams are looking to bludgeon their way up.  Cowden were a bit of a mob; Annan were big guys putting it about and Peterhead...they're always big guys.  But, as  I said, McLauchlan and Gibson are proving to be a superb central pairing, with a real physical presence.  A couple of McLauchlan's tackles yesterday were out of this world.

What was that guy Martin Scott at 10 like?  He's like a cartoon character (Biffa Bacon?) bursting out of his strip and running into people.  How he managed to avoid a booking defies belief.  The referee let too much away, leading to quite a bit of frustration and, ultimately, I think he blew up early as it was getting towsy.  Mainly his fault.

Still, as dreadful as the referee was, he didn't cost us the game.  Even though his early finish was another example of his poor performance, we had all these chances and couldn't take one of them.  No one to blame but us.

A few games in and you can see what the opposition are going to be like in this division; it looks like everyone has just gone out and signed huge guys and are trying to make them into footballers.  I'm missing the decent football that some of last year's opponents played.  Still, I think we're knocking the ball about quite well and we'll get better.  Someone mentioned Lachlan, and I'd love to see him back ASAP. 

Looking forward to the TNS trip.

9 hours ago, houstonspider said:
9 hours ago, an86 said:
It was Cammy Foy, I think.

Good to see him back playing after his lay off. Another lad that looked promising when he first appeared.

Excellent to have him back; we will probably need cover at the back and I thought he fitted in very well after coming on.

Agree definitely an opportunity lost for another home victory and the missing of so many chances in the 1st half was quite ridiculous..this squad todate has shown much promise apart from upfront where a solution is needed asap.Dont think aside from Peters who is out injured that there is a recognised goal scoring forward in the squad...unless sorted pronto a top 4 finish will be a real struggle.

Good to see McLaren on the bench but unsure where he will play as believe his preferred position is centre back although think he can fill in at RB.

Lachlan is versatile and has helped out in defence but hope he can offer something different in midfield as need some precision with final thro balls which todate has been missing.

19 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

“Penalty claim” the boy appeared to chuck himself to the ground with minimal contact. Hopefully there’s a clip of it.

Also interested to hear about all the easily identifiable bookings that the big bad Cowdenbeath players should have received...

The penalty claim was for your no.2 taking out our no.9. The shirt pull was a seperate incident and a  distraction but equally a foul according to FIFA. The "clip" is in the highlights package put up earlier.

A full list of yellow and red card offences is available on the SFA website and other leading football authorities' websites. Multiple fouls by the same player would be a good place to start. Three or four is usually enough for a yellow. Despite being a university lecturer it seems Mr. McKendrick can't count past two. Violent conduct (as defined by FIFA, not the Cowdenbeath Miners Welfare) on an opponent after the ball is out of play would be another. Sorry, no clips. If the editor kept in all the illegal challenges he'd still be working on it.

Just now, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The penalty claim was for your no.2 taking out our no.9. The shirt pull was a seperate incident and a  distraction but equally a foul according to FIFA. The "clip" is in the highlights package put up earlier.

A full list of yellow and red card offences is available on the SFA website and other leading football authorities' websites. Multiple fouls by the same player would be a good place to start. Three or four is usually enough for a yellow. Despite being a university lecturer it seems Mr. McKendrick can't count past two. Violent conduct (as defined by FIFA, not the Cowdenbeath Miners Welfare) on an opponent after the ball is out of play would be another. Sorry, no clips. If the editor kept in all the illegal challenges he'd still be working on it.

Hahahahahahahaha!!! 

13 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I'm missing the decent football that some of last year's opponents played.  

Looking forward to the TNS trip.

Me too. Can't help wondering what might have been if McKernon had stayed.

Me too. Still touring the near continent introducing our beautiful football to those less privileged. 

16 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Have you got a link to this? Sounds very informative although I'm concerned for the future of the Cowdenbeath Miners Welfare now.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Wow. I’ve used bad language at three consecutive games. Will I get a ban or Not?

Archived