The Jelly Beans v The Bloo Brasil

How QP failed to score I’m not really sure. A point is a good result for us.
The referee wasn’t great but I’m not really sure why all the hatred towards him. Hardly had any glaring issues.
Queens use the pitch really well but badly lack a cutting edge. We badly lack anyone that can run. 
Glaring Issues? First of all there's the attempted assassination of one of our players? You had Sheerin's consistent fouling. There should have been plenty more bookings.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, DundeeSpider1867 said:
15 hours ago, Muzza81 said:
The referee wasn’t great but I’m not really sure why all the hatred towards him. Hardly had any glaring issues.
Queens use the pitch really well but badly lack a cutting edge. We badly lack anyone that can run. 

Glaring Issues? First of all there's the attempted assassination of one of our players? You had Sheerin's consistent fouling. There should have been plenty more bookings.

Sheerin is an old fashioned centre forward. Never complains when he is fouled and gives as good as he gets.

Big Gerry tried to block him from getting the ball so Sheerin flattened him. Fair play. Shearer did it for years and i believe it’s called letting the centre half know your there. I love it.

Also, QP couldn’t score in 90 mins so why so excited abouted about not getting another 2 mins to not score ! Your no 9 is a good player except he couldn’t score in a brothel.

Frustrating 90 minutes. First half could have ended 5-3 to us if all the chances had been put away. I would love to know what Gus says to them at halftime because in the 3 home league matches the second half performance has been poor and nobody seems to be able to lift it or provide a spark. I still think this starting eleven has promise but I would love to see Lachlan playing in centre mid which might give more drive. Mortimer does a lot of good stuff until he gets the goal in his sights. Good pace and takes up good positions. If only he could.....

16 hours ago, DundeeSpider1867 said:
16 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

:lol:

Sheerin is an old fashioned centre forward. Never complains when he is fouled and gives as good as he gets.
Big Gerry tried to block him from getting the ball so Sheerin flattened him. Fair play. Shearer did it for years and i believe it’s called letting the centre half know your there. I love it.
Also, QP couldn’t score in 90 mins so why so excited abouted about not getting another 2 mins to not score ! Your no 9 is a good player except he couldn’t score in a brothel.
Correct about our No. 9. Billy Mortimer, came through our Youth Ranks and actually scored his first goal for the club in approx 40 appearances last week, but completely with you on that, I've got my doubts about whether you should be our No. 9 of you can't find the corner from here!Screenshot_20180902-093715_YouTube.jpg

23 minutes ago, DundeeSpider1867 said:

Correct about our No. 9. Billy Mortimer, came through our Youth Ranks and actually scored his first goal for the club in approx 40 appearances last week, but completely with you on that, I've got my doubts about whether you should be our No. 9 of you can't find the corner from here!Screenshot_20180902-093715_YouTube.jpg

He won’t come up against Mcgurn every week though.

16 hours ago, DundeeSpider1867 said:
16 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

You’ve obviously never seen McAllister play then .

8 minutes ago, DundeeSpider1867 said:

Spot-on assessment, but it raises an interesting question. Last week we were praising the influence that our new striker's coach had on our performance, so what has he been telling Billy which is surely his prime role? Has he said "just hit the target, and the goals will come" or "if the 'keeper spreads himself too wide then put it between his legs", which is what at the time I think he was deliberately trying to do. I'd really love to know what he's being told though, as yesterday any semi-competent scorer at this level could have had a hat-trick.

Billy wasn't alone in that deficiency though, as Hawke again missed a "goalden" chance (was it going wide before the defender cleared it?) whilst Smart's failure to trickle the ball in at the first attempt from his offside position (was it going in if he'd left it?) was even worse than his glaring miss from last week.

I think Cowden fans are being a bit harsh on their side as they looked decent to me and on another day would have scored a couple themselves. Their no. 10 has amazing stamina for a guy his shape, but he'll fall foul of some referees if he maintains those levels of aggression every week. Yesterday's referee was a major talking point, and it's been a long time since such collective fury was vented at one at the end of the game, rather than a few isolated shouts. That in itself was indicative of his general ineptness; major decision-making not withstanding.

Overall though it was another good performance from Queen's, and the forwards (especially Mortimer) played their part too, but now that the transfer window has closed I hope that one of Gus's centre-forward targets remains available as yesterday again demonstrated that we just a regular goal-scorer away from potentially being a top four side this season.

Spot-on assessment, but it raises an interesting question. Last week we were praising the influence that our new striker's coach had on our performance, so what has he been telling Billy which is surely his prime role? Has he said "just hit the target, and the goals will come" or "if the 'keeper spreads himself too wide then put it between his legs", which is what at the time I think he was deliberately trying to do. I'd really love to know what he's being told though, as yesterday any semi-competent scorer at this level could have had a hat-trick.
Billy wasn't alone in that deficiency though, as Hawke again missed a "goalden" chance (was it going wide before the defender cleared it?) whilst Smart's failure to trickle the ball in at the first attempt from his offside position (was it going in if he'd left it?) was even worse than his glaring miss from last week.
I think Cowden fans are being a bit harsh on their side as they looked decent to me and on another day would have scored a couple themselves. Their no. 10 has amazing stamina for a guy his shape, but he'll fall foul of some referees if he maintains those levels of aggression every week. Yesterday's referee was a major talking point, and it's been a long time since such collective fury was vented at one at the end of the game, rather than a few isolated shouts. That in itself was indicative of his general ineptness; major decision-making not withstanding.
Overall though it was another good performance from Queen's, and the forwards (especially Mortimer) played their part too, but now that the transfer window has closed I hope that one of Gus's centre-forward targets remains available as yesterday again demonstrated that we just a regular goal-scorer away from potentially being a top four side this season.

Referee was fine - just because he wasn't card happy and willing to issue cards on demand was no reason for the storm in a teacup furore.

To be fair, the lack of injury time in either half was puzzling. Scullion had a good game against Berwick, but was surprised to see him selected on Hampden's wide open spaces given his complete lack of pace, and indeed he was a bomb scare for the first hour. He made a couple of crucial interventions near the end.  The midfield played as though. they had never met before. McGurn excellent again. Agree with everyone else about Queens ,decent but no cutting edge.

Gibby got booked at the end for expressing the skipper's opinion on behalf of his team. I don't often comment on ref's for two reasons. Firstly, if they weren't there we wouldn't see a game. Secondly, it's not easy to see at ground level everything we can see from the stand's. And it's even harder these days with every player from both sides so quick to tell them they've got it wrong. But there was a number of easily-identifiable yellow card decisions that were ignored yesterday and of course the late penalty claim would also have been a red. Ref's are there to enforce the rules and not to interpret. This clown chose to do neither.

The game itself was an exciting one, especially given the score line. The real positive for me was the number of accurate passes played between defenders that allowed ball receivers to collect the pass and face the goal. That's the main reason we ended up with 12 attempts. McKernon, Roberts, Summers, Grant and even Gerry & Gibby all doing well here. If they keep that up we'll definitely have more goals than the last few seasons.

But of course someone has to finish. Hawke showed us a glimpse of what he has yesterday. I'd encourage him to do more of that. He also wins a lot of balls and gets into good positions. Smart is undoubtedly going to be a continuous frustration. He played some lovely visionary passes yesterday but overhit on nearly every attempt. Nice ball skills and does get himself into the six yard box which is something that's lacked before. But again that final touch needs improved on.

As for Mortimer; we've struggled for a long time with so-called strikers who seem to want to defend defenders rather than find space. Strikers who would rather get the ball into their feet with their backs to the goal and then the inevitable back pass. Strikers who neither have pace nor strength to push past thick-necked centre backs. Mortimer has developed himself on all of these skills and that's why he's making these chances. He now needs to learn that in those last few seconds he needs to swap the high energy for composure. That's a personality thing for him but he's done so well in the other components I think he'll get there. And fairly soon too with MR's help. Nobody in Hampden yesterday could have been more disappointed than Billy. Nobody puts on the Hoops planning to have a bad day. Billy's one of our own.

Compared to where we were a couple of month's ago Gus has crafted what looks a really good style of football and a winning formula. The goals will come. And maybe then we can stop moaning about bad referees.

On a positive note in all league and cup matches only Spartans have managed to breach our defence which is a great effort compared with last season. Was that Dom McLaren that came on for Gerry. If it was Dom quite encouraging we've got some depth in personnel to play at the back. Noticeable Gus has been a bit quieter on the touchline last couple of games when he must have been raging inside at times.

In terms of the particular chance it looked to me like Billy was caught in 2 minds. If you are going for through the keepers legs it's got to be hard and low with the outside of the boot. For the corners a bit of placement with the instep is often the best bet. Bill opted for a mix of the two but chose the wrong option. Instep aim at the the keepers legs with less pace on the ball gives the keeper an extra split second to reposition. Easy for us to analyse from our perch but hopefully the coach will point this out.

16 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

On a positive note in all league and cup matches only Spartans have managed to breach our defence which is a great effort compared with last season. Was that Dom McLaren that came on for Gerry. If it was Dom quite encouraging we've got some depth in personnel to play at the back. Noticeable Gus has been a bit quieter on the touchline last couple of games when he must have been raging inside at times.

It was Cammy Foy, I think.

Archived