Dons vs Killie

Now that the forum appears to have recovered from its barcode-related issues, I actually popped down to thank Queens and chortle at the neighbours, before I came on this thread.

Cracking result, ended a run which was becoming embarrassing given the teams' recent status, and both goals were absolute crackers - especially GS and his nonchalant chip to the far corner. Lovely.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another thought - the bench today was full of players you know will do a job if called on, and we haven't even got Byrne or Enobakhere involved yet. Truly, this is the best time in a decade to be a Killie fan.

Also, if we'd kept Dicker and done the Jambos last week, we'd now be top. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, I know - but as we enter September, I'm not even thinking about playoffs, let alone going down. This feels weird, but in a good way.

All Hail Sir Steve!

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's only a one-match ban for denying a goalscoring opportunity (and it's only two for violent conduct or serious foul play).

I haven't seen the red card from this afternoon yet, but if a player has a free run at goal from any distance then that is a goalscoring opportunity. Emilio Izaguirre got sent off for one about 80 yards from goal in the 2011 League Cup final.

9 hours ago, Estragon said:
9 hours ago, Rodhull said:
Unless its an empty net a shot from 25 yards out is hardly a goal scoring opportunity.

Why even express an opinion when you don't know the laws of the game?

Because my post wasn’t referring to the incident that led to the red card.  

Well done to Killie - about time you beat the dons!

Where do I start with this, the sending off is a joke - it’s about 35 yards out and I don’t think he is last man as look like others dons defenders could have got back. The build up to Killie goal was hand ball and even then maybe Shinnie fairly won the ball. Great free kick and wonderful 2nd.

Everything is going against us the decisions today - Injuries in key defensive positions before the game, our major star striker out for 8 weeks too. No options in the back - what a nightmare and thank god for International weekend.

Lot of negativity with dons fans today, yes we didn’t create much but up against it with a team as decent and organised as Killie and having 10 men hurt us badly. Felt we did ok in first half too but that goal was a killer.

We have had a tough start in the first 4 games we have played the teams that finish 3rd, 4th and 5th last season. We need to now pick up points against those below that which we have done in the past.

Guest Bob Mahelp

We got the shitty end of the stick throughout, but that's football and sometimes it happens. Hard to judge the game after that because the red card skewed everything, but ultimately we were beaten by 2 good goals.

I do honestly believe though that all of us (including McInnes) will spend the next 4 months bitterly regretting his decision not to go for a true goalscorer or an attacking midfielder.

Lot of negativity with dons fans today, yes we didn’t create much but up against it with a team as decent and organised as Killie and having 10 men hurt us badly.

True. But the negativity isn’t necessarily just about today though. Over the 4 league games we have played, the pattern has been exactly the same - zero cutting edge.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, bpdon said:

True. But the negativity isn’t necessarily just about today though. Over the 4 league games we have played, the pattern has been exactly the same - zero cutting edge.

As it stands, we'll struggle in any game where we go behind first. We simply don't have the players to chase a game and all the other side has to do is to be a wee bit organised and they've got the game won.

How long a contract did we give Nial McGinn ? 4 years ? 

Feck me, what a folly. He looks like he's towing a caravan, and as ever when the going gets a bit tough he disappears completely. Jeeeesus.

Lovely game, thanks to the Ref.

i hope GMS knees are ok, after having fallen on them so many times yesterday. Diving little c**t.

Tsh ran the show in midfield, pleasure to watch.

Two fantastic goals and a cup of Willie Miller’s salty tears to wash them down. Glorious.

Don't think we can really draw too many conclusions from that game. For a manager as pragmatic as McInnes, an early red means a complete change to the game plan.

I'm fuming at Greg Stewart though. Where the f**k were you hiding that sort of finishing last year?! p***k.

Killie will be just fine this year I'm sure, not a bad shout for one of the cups! I'd like to see them do it too, their fans deserve some success after the shite they've had to watch all these years.

Dons just waiting another week or two to kick into gear. Reminds me of last season and that turned out just fine. Hibs dropping points early too.

Pretty concerning performance, to be honest. Yes, the red card is a mitigating factor and Thomson was poor, but there is a worrying lack of creativity and guile in this team. There is a gaping McLean-shaped hole in the middle of the park. 

Only semi-positive for us was that Lowe played quite well. McGinn and Mackay-Steven were frustrating, Shinnie all over the shop in the second half, Ferguson worked hard but his technique was occasionally found wanting. We missed Gleeson's experience and control when he was substituted. 

It looked as if Kilmarnock could have driven their team bus through our defence at periods in the second half. Considine was towing a tractor at Stewart's goal, and they had several other shaky moments between them. 

If Wilson is going to be a semi-permanent injury casualty, our striking options are looking so uninspiring. May isn't a lone forward, Cosgrove is very limited, Anderson is promising but inexperienced and raw. Of course, we firstly have to create some opportunities from open play for any of that to matter. 

Kilmarnock are a good team with an impressive manager, but they won't have many easier games this season than that. 

Great win for us yesterday. 

Losing-  Mclean Christie Rooney etc is a big loss for dons. 

If I was an Aberdeen fan I’d be fuming they haven’t invested some of the money they made on a proper goalscorer. 

If Stevie May and that big totem Pole Cosgrove was our strikers I’d be worried.

McKay Steven is a diving b*****d.  Niall McGinn is a shadow of his former self.

Archived