Dons vs Killie

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed the game as I was in Krakow. Fair play Killie, took advantage and got the win you probably should have had in March.

Looks a bizarre red card but Craig Thomson is a product of the Scottish FA way of developing referees - athletic frame above actual refereeing ability.

You're going to need better bait than that to catch someone old enough to remember Joe Harper in action.
Me? I can remember Ernie Winchester. And Jorgen Ravn. And Willie McIntosh. And Billy Hume. And Andy Kerr (the original one, ex Killie among other clubs). And Billy Graham (ex Gateshead). 

TBF Ernie’s goals to games ratio would have him the millions of pounds in transfers these days, 70 in 124 IIRC?

Fully expect Devlin to get a 5 match ban for appealing. 

Couple of decent finishes from Killie.

I am not optimistic at all for this season. Our best hope is youngsters stepping up. Ross, Wright, Anderson, Fergusson all look capable but need to take their chances. 

I've just seen the red card incident, and for me it's nowhere near as contentious as people are making out.

That's a professional foul, on a forward with a clear run at goal, fullback absolutely not getting across in time.

For me it's to be filed under "seen them given", definitely not in the same category as Gary Dicker's - I don't know if it's worth appealing. 

9 hours ago, Raidernation said:

TBF Ernie’s goals to games ratio would have him the millions of pounds in transfers these days, 70 in 124 IIRC?

91 in 169 for the Dons, according to Wikipedia. 23 from 40 in the States for Chicago/Kansas City Spurs. 6 from 47 for Hearts and 0 from 33 for Arbroath.

22 minutes ago, Estragon said:

I've just seen the red card incident, and for me it's nowhere near as contentious as people are making out.

That's a professional foul, on a forward with a clear run at goal, fullback absolutely not getting across in time.

For me it's to be filed under "seen them given", definitely not in the same category as Gary Dicker's - I don't know if it's worth appealing. 

Never a red card in a million years.

never thought for one second at the game that the ref was going to bring out a red.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Never a red card in a million years.

never thought for one second at the game that the ref was going to bring out a red.

Nice to have such constructive debate...

On what basis are you so certain?

2 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Nice to have such constructive debate...

On what basis are you so certain?

As if that's a red card then you'd see them every game.

I don't think there was one person in the stadium who thought for one minute that was a red. Well, apart from the ref.

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

As if that's a red card then you'd see them every game.

I don't think there was one person in the stadium who thought for one minute that was a red. Well, apart from the ref.

So I've listed three circumstances that support my assertion that it was arguably a red card.

You haven't stated anything. What is the basis for your certainty?

Brophy too far from goal? Logan gets across? Magnanimity?

Guest Bob Mahelp
43 minutes ago, Estragon said:

So I've listed three circumstances that support my assertion that it was arguably a red card.

You haven't stated anything. What is the basis for your certainty?

Brophy too far from goal? Logan gets across? Magnanimity?

I would suggest that a red card should be issued only on absolute certainty...i.e. could there be no doubt in the referee's mind that the foul prevented a goal scoring opportunity ?

Given the position of the foul and the fact that it was around 40 yards from goal, I'm not sure how you can say with absolute certainty that it denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

That's without even considering that there was obviously no intention from Devlin to deliberately bring Brophy down. Brophy had grabbed Devlin's shirt and stepped in front of Devlin as he tried to re-orientate himself......it was clever play from Brophy and the referee bought it 100%.

As I said earlier though, sometimes you get the shitty end of the stick, sometimes you don't.

Edit to say that I wonder exactly how confused Thompson was about where the incident took place. He allows Killie to take the free-kick from 15 yards further forward and 15 yards further infield from where the foul actually took place.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Definitely not in the same category as that was violent conduct and this is allegedly denial of a goal scoring opportunity.

I think we can all agree that if Scott Brown had comitted either then there would be no foul.

I think we all know why the referee gave it, and it's probable that Brophy had a clear run at goal, but probable isn't good enough. It had to be a clear goalscoring opportunity and there were certainly variables in that instance. What if Logan cut him off? What if he miscontrolled? What if a seagull shat on him as he was running through?

For me, there's too much still to happen for it to he labelled clear.

Having said all that - get it up yi all! Super Killie away!

Archived