Hampden or Murrayfield

P475

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I always thought Murrayfield would be a far better option, but then I went to the Hearts v Saints game there last season and it isn't much better than Hampden in terms of view behind the goals.  It's a pretty basic set up in terms of no food stalls, you have to go out to beside the turnstiles to use catering vans.

I would be fine about leaving Hampden if it were to go to a great 50,000 capacity stadium with top facilities, supporters bars etc, steep stands close to the pitch and easy to get to.. but Murrayfield isn't that stadium.

What was the attendance, and how much of the ground was open?  If they only opened the lower north or south stand then that’s not a fair comparison.

dont think you’d have to go out of the turnstiles, unless they had installed temporary ones for the football.  Murrayfield turnstiles are set well back from the ground so that once you’re in you have access to everywhere.  I guess that makes segregation a problem...and again, we’re back in the territory of the ugly sisters ruining it for everyone else

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vaguely remember watching a Hearts European game at Murrayfield and the stands behind the goals were miles away from the action due to the size of the pitch.  

Hampden is a dreadful arena for watching football, and other than leveling everything other than the main stand and starting again, I can't see how they can redevelop it into something fit for purpose.  That route brings it's own issues with the proximity of houses and (if i remember right) a river running underneath part of it?

I'd go with the option of takiing games on the road round the country.  I'd much rather see a full Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie than a half empty Hampden for the smaller games and use Ibrox and Parkhead for the bigger games.

3 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Preferences:

1. Hampden (with firm commitment to redevelop).

2. Football stadiums around the country. 

3. Hampden (with no commitment to redevelop).

-

-

-

-

-

4. My back garden.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

5. Home of rugby.

6. Celtic Park/Ibrox

Preferences:

1. Hampden (with firm commitment to redevelop).
2. Football stadiums around the country. 
3. Hampden (with no commitment to redevelop).
-
-
-
-
-
4. My back garden.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
5. Home of rugby.

Option 4 is getting dismissed a concerning amount of times.

Murrayfield is too big for most matches it would be used for - what team who averages around 40,000 would see a 67,000 stadium as their best option? It also has quite a distance between the pitch and the stands on three side and it's glaringly obvious that it's not made for a football pitch with the large areas of grass behind the goals (I must admit I really hate the way that it looks). It's less convenient for a greater proportion of the population of Scotland (although it will serve many better than Hampden does). 

I just don't see it as an appropriate solution for Scottish football. If we're leaving Hampden, I would have preferred rotating games between Celtic Park, Ibrox, and Murrayfield. 

The long term solution should be a redeveloped Hampden, but if we move away then we deprive ourselves of that option. 

11 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

As a Thistle fan who hasn't been to a Scotland game in over 10 years I'm not really that bothered either way.

Just the Thistle now ... :D

Murrayfield would be a lot handier for Scotland games and finals but if they can get the Hampden finances to work then I would rather stay there.  

2 hours ago, bendan said:

My fear about redeveloping Hampden is that we'd almost certainly do a bad job of it. They'd probably leave massive gaps in the corners, in our uniquely shite way of building stadiums.

No excuse for doing a seriously shite job of it, there are many examples of converting old grounds with running tracks into modern football arenas. The main worry I guess is that they will try and do it as cheaply as possibly, which delivers the pun of cutting as many corners as possible, so maybe you are right...

Having separate national rugby and football stadiums is ridiculous with the amount of times they get used. They are both outdated too. Sell them both and build a new modern stadium they can both share. Would be easier to get fundraising from goverment, lottery and private investment too.

Gordon Smith on Radio Scotland this morning seemed to be suggesting that the only reason the SFA are considering Murrayfield is to persuade Queens Park to accept less money for the sale of Hampden.

39 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

As a Thistle fan who hasn't been to a Scotland game in over 10 years I'm not really that bothered either way.

I don't care about where the national team plays.

I only care about the Scottish and League Cup finals. 

1 minute ago, Im_Rodger said:

I don't care about where the national team plays.

I only care about the Scottish and League Cup finals. 

Why would that concern a Hamilton fan ??

I'm also pretty sure that the current Athletics situation and Glasgow's place in the European stage, would put paid to any situation where the stands are moved closer to the action.

We all know that nobody gives a toss about the paying punter and all they're interested in is the big pound signs.

Archived