Selkirk FC

If you go to the Pie and Bovril Lowland League page you will be able to watch the sad demise of Selkirk FC unfold before your eyes. There is a lesson and a warning in here for clubs hell bent on being 'ambitious' without a sustainable income plan and financial governance arrangements in place. Football clubs are part of our communities heritage and we must look after them for future generations!

On 8/28/2018 at 15:11, left half said:

If you go to the Pie and Bovril Lowland League page you will be able to watch the sad demise of Selkirk FC unfold before your eyes. There is a lesson and a warning in here for clubs hell bent on being 'ambitious' without a sustainable income plan and financial governance arrangements in place. Football clubs are part of our communities heritage and we must look after them for future generations!

Thats why the Threave committee of the time (they were a LL team) have to be congratulated for taking the steps to secure the clubs future . Which was unpopular to some people who said will never be back as they have no ambition by leaving the LL .  But at the time were struggling player wise and financially . But have rebuilt and appear stable both on and off the pitch .((more so off at the moment .))  

2 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Threave are building for the future can’t take that away from them.

And that future is running ( potentially at least ) into the East of Scotland winners which like Kelty last year won’t see them or any other South team progressing for the foreseeable future ! They and their big spending neighbours will have to content themselves with this level for quite some time although I’d agree you can’t knock them for the stability the current Committee have provided down at Meadow and they should be fully applauded for that alone. 

Big spending always has to be sustainable. You need to have access to a larger footfall and prize money to justify big spending and pyramid ambitions. The South of Scotland League in its present form, in my opinion, serves football in the South well. To allow for bigger ambitions you would need to reduce the number of sustainable clubs in the area to about six max. Access to enough high-quality players to fill 16 teams of min 18 players in this area is impossible.

On the other hand is it really wrong to provide a reasonable standard of football, well run, for nigh on 300 young men every Saturday from July till May?

We need to temper ambition with a dose of reality.

18 hours ago, AML67 said:

And that future is running ( potentially at least ) into the East of Scotland winners which like Kelty last year won’t see them or any other South team progressing for the foreseeable future ! They and their big spending neighbours will have to content themselves with this level for quite some time although I’d agree you can’t knock them for the stability the current Committee have provided down at Meadow and they should be fully applauded for that alone. 

Who are "their big spending neighbours"?

2 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Well you know what club you support/follow/help . 

That hardly answers my question though does it and shouldn’t that have said ‘well I know’ ? Be proud of your team whoever that might be - for now 

That hardly answers my question though does it and shouldn’t that have said ‘well I know’ ? Be proud of your team whoever that might be - for now 

You making no sense!!! Your moaning about clubs spending cash ?? Focus on your own and get on with it and give us peace

34 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

You making no sense!!! Your moaning about clubs spending cash ?? Focus on your own and get on with it and give us peace

I can assure you I prioritise my focus 100% and when exactly did I moan ? I simply stated a widely known fact which I have no real problem with if certain sides can sustain such an approach - that’s their business. My main concern would be for the welfare of ,  let’s call them for arguments sake the less well off sides in monetary terms , whose teams on a regular basis lose players they’ve brought through and invested a great deal of time and effort into due to the financial carrot offered elsewhere. This probably covers half of the current South sides who regularly see their lads being approached by these ‘big guns’ and they’re the ones left to find replacements when guys have lucrative offers put to them.

Oh and if I do have any one particular gripe it’s that contact is never made through official channels using the proper procedures , they’d rather use some sneaky third party or blatantly contact lads by text who are contracted players ! Just be open , honest and above board and we’d all get on fine - have a good season 

4 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

That’s football

Agreed it is and I’m sure even the biggest local Clubs might lose players to Clubs further up the Pyramid ! Where you thinking of heading this weekend 

Archived