Hell in a Cell 2018

JamieStevenson

1 minute ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I'd say that was a decent show. Braun/Reigns was going really well before they started going for the big stuff and it all fell to shit, and then an ending which sums up why I don't bother with the TV product anymore. The tag title match was just wonderful. The mixed tag was basically just a placeholder in that rivalry, and as such I didn't mind it. Orton/Hardy was really good, and that stuff with the screwdriver was fucking great, but also never want to see it again. The two women's matches were good. Becky/Charlotte deserves credit for recovering from the utterly god awful start they had. Thought Styles and Joe had a good match, but not TOO great. Hopefully their Showdown match hits proper heights.

I thought it was a really easy PPV to get through, which given it was way over the 3 hour mark, is quite an achievement, so fair play.

All PPV's are 4 hours minimum now so if anything we've been sold short! I actually fell asleep during the Ronda match but went back and finished the show. Overall it was pretty good. I really like that for once they didn't just start throwing random matches on to the card for the sake of it, everything had a purpose on this show. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got caught up on it late last night.  A very good show I thought, following on from a pretty solid Summerslam.  I expect they'll ruin it by putting out a couple of stinkers, but I wonder whether maybe they've found their groove with the shows after combining the brands and moving to the 4-hours-ish model.  Not too many matches on the card, giving each one of them time if it was needed, and a definite feeling that they were running a show that had an end-point, rather than some of the ridiculously over-running ones they've done in the past.

Probably only the one weak match in the mixed tag.  It pushes the story along a bit, so it serves a purpose, but you can see the light dying behind Bryan's eyes.  Miz just about saves it, because he is just brilliant at everything he does.  Could have done with them just keeping it a single's feud though, f**k knows where they go from here.  Outside of that...

Orton/Hardy was a revelation.  Showed what a Hell in a Cell match could be in the PG Era.  Didn't go for the big shock value of going to the top and falling off, and kept everything locked up tight, pun not intended.  And that ear spot...f**k sake.  Orton might not be the most exciting person on the roster, but when he really gets into something he really gets into it.

Rousey continues to improve, and she's starting to look like she's been doing this for years.  Some might complain that Bliss got too much offence in, but it worked as a story, and they can't just keep having Rousey go the Lesnar route with short matches.  Make her look vulnerable but come out on top in the end, and she'll have a lot more variety.  Love watching her matches, there's just something so "real" about her moves.  They seem that little bit less polished and smooth like most wrestlers, but still look professional.  If they can keep giving her opponents that can keep up, or at least decent stories like last night, she'll be brilliant.

The main event was...meh.  I expected the Braun and Reigns to be involved in more of the spots, but they put in a pretty middling performance before going for a sleep.  It almost seemed like Vince was sitting in Gorilla and thought "f**k this, it's bombing" before sending out the rodeo clowns.  Nice little diversion to the top, but it became so obvious they're working towards the exact same spot that Ambrose and Rollins did in their HIAC match.  Nasty fall though - didn't see much of a replay, initially looked like Ziggler completely missed the table. 

For me, the run-in at the end saved it from being a complete fail.  I'd managed to read a spoiler that an old face came back for the main event, but not who it was.  Before watching it, I thought we were getting Bray or something similarly poor.  Lesnar was very much unexpected.  And in the few minutes he was in the ring, he showed how absolutely wasted he was in his title reign.  Instead of just going out to do the bare minimum then retreating, he was on the attack, and when he fancies it he still looks fucking terrifying.  With him as the chaser - and presumably losing - the match should be a lot better, so it's definitely a boost to what is a fairly meh feud.

Oh, and are Ambrose and McIntyre still on top of the cell?

Why was the ref telling Orton he shouldn't pin Jeff because he (Jeff) was hurt? That's the whole fucking point of wrestling! You batter your opponent until they're too hurt to break a pin! Plus it was a no DQ match!

Brie and Maryse are dreadful in the ring. They don't belong in it. Awful stuff from them. 

Lesnar looks a lot leaner. 

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why was the ref telling Orton he shouldn't pin Jeff because he (Jeff) was hurt? That's the whole fucking point of wrestling! You batter your opponent until they're too hurt to break a pin! Plus it was a no DQ match!

Brie and Maryse are dreadful in the ring. They don't belong in it. Awful stuff from them. 

Lesnar looks a lot leaner. 

Was wondering if he was in training for the UFC already as he looks to have shed a fair bit

Archived