PETERHEAD v EDINBURGH CITY

Guest TOPFITTER

Would have been buzzing off 2 points from games away at Clyde and Peterhead so after strolling our way to 3 points at Broadwood last weekend I’m already 50% above buzzing. What I’m trying to say is this is a bit of a free swing and as long as we put in a solid and controlled performance (just like we have so far this season) against the team you’d imagine will end up as champions that’ll do me.

Would love a win right enough.

If my maths is right I’m 200% above buzzing (2 points is base buzzing rate, 2 * 200% = 6) and if it’s wrong I’m no caring as we’ve just gone and beaten the title favourites away from home. What a result and what a difference from last season (and the one before).

Willie Gibson must go. What a thoroughly embarrassing display today and I’m not just talking about his play. In a week where we’ve read about petulance and disrespect towards other senior clubs and management, Gibson overshadowed even the Dembele debacle. No player is bigger than the club. Gibson not only embarrassed himself but disgraced the name of Peterhead FC in front of the away bench & management and in front of the directors of both clubs.
To vent such a venomous tirade of abuse towards Jim McInally and his coaching staff merely because he was substituted for being, once again, ineffective in the game was abhorrent. In any workplace that would be an instant dismissal and it will be interesting to see what action is taken by JM.

Didn’t make game, but In all the time Gibson has been with us I’ve only seen him show his potential in one cup game.  Don’t know if being asked to play out of position is suiting him, but he knows we have a small squad and everybody eventually ends up being used as and where injuries dictate.  Be Interesting to see how McInally will deal with him 

5 hours ago, Toon 68 said:

Didn’t make game, but In all the time Gibson has been with us I’ve only seen him show his potential in one cup game.  Don’t know if being asked to play out of position is suiting him, but he knows we have a small squad and everybody eventually ends up being used as and where injuries dictate.  Be Interesting to see how McInally will deal with him 

I suggest a free transfer to Albion Rovers- that'll teach 'im! 

Thanks again to everyone who recommended the bus links - it was nice and simple to get the Interchange, and then just one short, straight road direct to the ground, going past a pub on the way. Could not be better. Took 14 hours door to door, but that's one of the trickier trips of the 42 done, and you won't get any better than doing it on a day when City go top of the league.

For the game itself, it was a slightly weird one. Both sides started quite well I thought and looked like sides high up the table. But for all that, there were not many clear cut chances for either side, and I can't remember a game I've been to with so many free-kicks. All the officials seemed to give something whenever any players came together, so it was a totally dis-jointed game with no flow. I think City must have had about 8 corners as well in the first half-hour, so it descended into a series of constant set-pieces one after the other.

At half-time I was worried as it was my turn to choose the Man of the Match and whilst everyone was solid and doing their job, no-one was standing out. Over the second half though, I think Blair Henderson up front was the difference between the sides. Anything lumped forward he managed to hold on to more than his fair share, so was crucial in keeping pressure off the defence (especially after the goal when Peterhead were pushing for an equaliser) and building attacks with his flick-ons. I was sat in the main stand, and he was coming in for more and more stick as the game went on, which is normally a pretty good sign that you're doing something right as an opposition centre forward. Ok, Andrew Black did manage that as well, but that was more for persistent fouling than anything else! He got the only goal as well, to put the cherry on top of a very good performance.

Calum Antell made an excellent double save early on, but after that neither keeper had too much to do. It looked like a nailed on 0-0, so great to snatch a winner and take all three points. Made the journey home a bit faster...

Guest TOPFITTER
Thanks again to everyone who recommended the bus links - it was nice and simple to get the Interchange, and then just one short, straight road direct to the ground, going past a pub on the way. Could not be better. Took 14 hours door to door, but that's one of the trickier trips of the 42 done, and you won't get any better than doing it on a day when City go top of the league.
For the game itself, it was a slightly weird one. Both sides started quite well I thought and looked like sides high up the table. But for all that, there were not many clear cut chances for either side, and I can't remember a game I've been to with so many free-kicks. All the officials seemed to give something whenever any players came together, so it was a totally dis-jointed game with no flow. I think City must have had about 8 corners as well in the first half-hour, so it descended into a series of constant set-pieces one after the other.
At half-time I was worried as it was my turn to choose the Man of the Match and whilst everyone was solid and doing their job, no-one was standing out. Over the second half though, I think Blair Henderson up front was the difference between the sides. Anything lumped forward he managed to hold on to more than his fair share, so was crucial in keeping pressure off the defence (especially after the goal when Peterhead were pushing for an equaliser) and building attacks with his flick-ons. I was sat in the main stand, and he was coming in for more and more stick as the game went on, which is normally a pretty good sign that you're doing something right as an opposition centre forward. Ok, Andrew Black did manage that as well, but that was more for persistent fouling than anything else! He got the only goal as well, to put the cherry on top of a very good performance.
Calum Antell made an excellent double save early on, but after that neither keeper had too much to do. It looked like a nailed on 0-0, so great to snatch a winner and take all three points. Made the journey home a bit faster...

Glad you enjoyed your trip[emoji106] Poster Lord Catto is a great supporter of Russel McLean what did he not do to get subbed 1st for Peterhead? Must gave had a mare to preceed MacAllister and Cattos nemisis The Evil Gibson [emoji23]

Guest TOPFITTER

Glad you enjoyed your trip[emoji106] Poster Lord Catto is a great supporter of Russel McLean what did he not do to get subbed 1st for Peterhead? Must have had a mare to preceed MacAllister and Cattos nemisis The Evil Gibson [emoji23]

6 minutes ago, EdinburghTurkey said:

Actually, on that note I should say how nice it was, and again on the highlights, to watch a game played on grass. Plastic just never looks or feels right to me, and it's sadly all too rare to see a game on grass still.

Glad the journey went well. We are fortunate to have one of the very best surfaces in the country for teams to play on. From our point of view the game was very disappointing but we will be back to fight another day. I am accused of being a bit hard on refs at times but thought it was interesting you mentioned how our one on Saturday interfered in the game, thought he was terrible but anyway looking through a few different pages on here think that supporters at  two other games in our league thought the ref at their game was the worst they had seen, coincidence or just the reality of the standard of refs we have to put up with. See the one at the Aberdeen game also appears to have had a howler as well.

Glad you enjoyed your trip[emoji106] Poster Lord Catto is a great supporter of Russel McLean what did he not do to get subbed 1st for Peterhead? Must gave had a mare to preceed MacAllister and Cattos nemisis The Evil Gibson [emoji23]

Once again, I’m at a loss to understand what you are on about. It may be due to your poor English, grammar or punctuation but I fail to see how your response to another poster managed to include some bizarre reference to me. Perhaps you simply dislike everyone that may have a differing opinion to yours? Can you expand upon “Cattos nemisis The Evil Gibson”? Please, please assure me that you are not, in any way, going to defend Gibson’s behaviour?

Archived