Annan v Clyde

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Annan shaded the first half without making Currie make many saves. Johnston caused problems first half but faded away. 

Second half we were much better, keeping the ball and should’ve scored a few more. 

Thought once we got to grips with annans front pair we looked comfortable. 10 fell out the game, so did 11 for Annan.

Overall, a decent team performance with no stand out performances. Pleasing 3 points back up the road. 

P&B started working too late to write too much tonight. What I'll say is that it was a great win that I reckon will look even better in a few weeks/months time with Annan being much better than last season. 

Where people are getting Annan best team first half is beyond me they had one shot on goal . Love through one on one as was DGW Annan goalkeeper had three or four good saves good solid win could have been more

18 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Rumsby simply not good enough, lost every header. McStay barely touched the ball.

This isn’t true at all. Thought both he centre backs stood up well to Annan’s front 3. Cuddihy was fantastic at right back, dominated the big 11 in the air and on the deck. Grant is a funny choice for the other full back. Ross Lyon was the name of the other trialist yesterday apparently, didn’t get a sniff though. Belmokhtar 1 good game against us, done nothing else for Edinburgh or Peterhead.

Great result, Cuddihy man of the match for me. Grant was a strange choice at left back but did ok. Think that is an area we could be got at though if he continues to play there. Cuddihy on the other side was brilliant both defensively and getting forward. Seems to have made that position his own.

Nicol lucky not to be sent off although the behaviour of the Annan players was a disgrace, number 10 in particular constantly in the refs face trying to get Nicol sent off. He did well not to collect a second booking but that maybe cost us the equaliser when he tracked the winger down the touch line but couldn’t risk putting a tackle in. Thought rumsby still had a chance to clear before they scored though.

Mcstay continues to frustrate as he can go from anonymous to excellent in the same match. Clearly a talented player but seems to lack a bit of work rate at times. Compare that to Goodwillie who has the talent and gives his all every match.

Thought yesterday was a big opportunity for rankin playing more centrally as opposed to the left of a diamond, this should have suited him better. However he was again pretty poor for me and Lamont showed up far better.

Said it at the start of the season and I stand by it. Not in order but Annan, Edinburgh City, Clyde and Peterhead will be the top 4 at the end of the season. We'll all take points from one another all season.
Yesterdays game was massively disappointing from an Annan point of view. Our key players didn't turn up. Felt that the referee had a very poor game too.
Can't really complain to much though. Yesterday should be the kick up the arse we need.

4 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

Didn't think Annan's highlights gave much credence to Clyde yesterday (minus the two goals).

Two well taken goals as well

Where are the highlights? Couldn't find them on Annan official site.

I don't think we've ever had a song with so many inaccuracies before.

I'd agree with the Annan fan's assessment on the top four. They're not a silky team but they're physical and have a manager who has developed his team gradually. Big weakness at left back though.

I had the pleasure of watching the match alongside Peter Watson's dad and he couldn't believe how competent McNiff looked compared to his time at Galabank under Chapman. Those kind of performances are now becoming normal. He got my third placed Man of the Match vote behind Goodwillie and McStay, who I thought opened the pitch up for us time and time again. 

Currie did all the stuff that goes unnoticed (distribution, quick off his line) and made one good save on an awkwardly bouncing shot late on. Rumsby did indeed compete well against the aerial threat but he still loses possession too many times for my liking. Cuddihy class as usual and dealt well with obviously being targeted on the diagonal in the air. I didn't think Grant had a great game, stood off too much but kept possession as you'd expect.

Last season we were okay physically (Nicoll, centre halves, Duffie, McStay all good in the air) and were by far the sharpest, most energetic side in the final third. Yesterday we went back to that more open style and Annan couldn't deal with it. Nicoll and Rankin did some superb dirty work in a midfield battle (one abysmal tackle aside) and let the others play. Lamont is a better player than Boyle with a quicker turn of pace and was our out ball all game, fed by quick passes from McStay and Love who both defended well. Goodwillie was a class apart.

Two very winnable home games after the break. Huge three points yesterday and we're still the team to beat I reckon.

I don't think we've ever had a song with so many inaccuracies before.
I'd agree with the Annan fan's assessment on the top four. They're not a silky team but they're physical and have a manager who has developed his team gradually. Big weakness at left back though.
I had the pleasure of watching the match alongside Peter Watson's dad and he couldn't believe how competent McNiff looked compared to his time at Galabank under Chapman. Those kind of performances are now becoming normal. He got my third placed Man of the Match vote behind Goodwillie and McStay, who I thought opened the pitch up for us time and time again. 
Currie did all the stuff that goes unnoticed (distribution, quick off his line) and made one good save on an awkwardly bouncing shot late on. Rumsby did indeed compete well against the aerial threat but he still loses possession too many times for my liking. Cuddihy class as usual and dealt well with obviously being targeted on the diagonal in the air. I didn't think Grant had a great game, stood off too much but kept possession as you'd expect.
Last season we were okay physically (Nicoll, centre halves, Duffie, McStay all good in the air) and were by far the sharpest, most energetic side in the final third. Yesterday we went back to that more open style and Annan couldn't deal with it. Nicoll and Rankin did some superb dirty work in a midfield battle (one abysmal tackle aside) and let the others play. Lamont is a better player than Boyle with a quicker turn of pace and was our out ball all game, fed by quick passes from McStay and Love who both defended well. Goodwillie was a class apart.
Two very winnable home games after the break. Huge three points yesterday and we're still the team to beat I reckon.
The day you join in a song is day you get an opinion

In my opinion, Cuddihy was Clyde's best player. Followed by McNiff and Love. Goodwillie needs to pass the ball once in a while.

I didn't see the great performance from McStay that David did.

I did enjoy the fact that the Annan players were reacting to the Clyde support. It makes the abuse given to them worthwhile.

Archived