Airdrieonians v Stranraer

Watched highlights of Stranraer win over Montrose-scored from corners so we better be on alert. Montrose did have quite a lot of attacking but could not convert chances. It will be a tough test again if we switch off. Interesting to see Stranraer with names on jerseys and it made it easy to spot Brownlie who will no doubt want to impress for his new club. Still don't know if we should go down that road when our new strips arrive-always thought 1-11 was still the classic garb and avoided all those daft high numbers, but maybe that is me just being grump.

1-11 should be compulsory.

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

1-11 should be compulsory.

Yes from me for the starting 11. Many clubs did not like the Number 13 for Subs but I could live with that. Where squads are limited in size it makes sense and I don't know if it costs the club more to source these numbers such as 88 and names etc.  Interesting that many fans like sticking their names etc on the replica shirt so I suppose we are swimming against the tide. Hope that is not the score today!

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Whilst I’d like us to win handsomely today, we need to learn how to win ugly. I’d happily take a shitty 1-0 win with a deflection off someone’s face than play well than lose again. 

Especially keen to avoid losing in the manner in which we did last week. Still gives me shivers down my spine. 

Setting out in hope yet again. Winning teams often do just enough whereas fans always want entertained!

15 hours ago, The clean living guy said:

Much needed win. 

Over the piece Airdrie deserved win, two bad induvidual errors from Stranraer for goals, but Airdrie getting into scoring positions more often than Stranraer . One here for "AMMO" horrendous decision by nearside lineman when Anderson pulled back on route to goal, he should have went down ,and Airdrie player sent off as last man.

Over the piece Airdrie deserved win, two bad induvidual errors from Stranraer for goals, but Airdrie getting into scoring positions more often than Stranraer . One here for "AMMO" horrendous decision by nearside lineman when Anderson pulled back on route to goal, he should have went down ,and Airdrie player sent off as last man.
Glad to still be in your thoughts bbe x

Scrappy at times, some great football at others, and overall a deserved win. Thought Stranraer, particularly Grant Anderson and Luke Donnelly, troubled us in the first half and they were carving open Crighton and Page with ease. Thankfully they were pretty wasteful in front of goal. Don't think Hutton had a meaningful save to make the whole game. In the second half though we sat a deeper and Stranraer's threat faded although I never felt the game was won until the final whistle after last week! 

Carrick and Victoria were a joy to watch at times. Carrick's work in the buildup to Victoria's goal was superb and that's Joao hit another lovely finish. Not everything Joao tried came off but he's such a skilful and exciting player to watch and our most potent attacking threat. Always feel like there's a goal coming when he's on the pitch. I've said elsewhere that I have been so pleasantly surprised by how well he's playing. He never impressed me when I saw him play for other clubs and he was universally panned by supporters of Arbroath, the Rovers and Queen's Park. I'll hold my hands up too and say I was not best pleased we had signed him. But my God what a revelation he's been so far.  I don't know what's changed but he seems to have a new found confidence and belief in his abilities. Long may it continue. 

The front 3 linked well together. In the first half, we struggled to get on the end of McIntosh's headers and flick-ons but again we got better at this in the second half. Credit to Findlay and the players for changing the shape at HT and executing the game plan better in the 2nd half. MacDonald and Victoria also linked very well together too.

Was impressed with Grant Gallagher in the middle of the park. Neat and tidy, broke up play and done the simple things very well. Don't think he misplaced a pass the whole game and recycled the ball well. Stewart and Conroy were not in the game at all in the middle of the park IMO although I thought Stewart had a much better game when he moved into Robbo's position. Don't want to criticise the manager too much seeing as we won but again I have to question his substitutions as I thought the game was crying out for a sub or two before we scored. Would have put on Wilkie for Conroy, who may have been carrying a knock, and Stewart can probably consider himself lucky he hadn't been hooked for Millar before Robertson had to come off too. Would like to see Millar start the next game. 

Looks like we maybe have a few knocks and, with it being a cup game, will be interesting to see how we line up next week. 

Overall a much-needed home win. And to think if we hadn't fucked it last week we'd be top of the league...

Glad that P/B was off line for Saturday night as it gave me time to think about the game. Was very relieved to see the 2nd goal go in and it was well deserved by Victoria who had worked so many openings and was always willing to attack (and defend) but just missed out on scoring. Thought the front three were excellent in their link up when they did see the ball but like Airdrieman I was less than impressed by how long it took Stewart/Conroy to get to grips with Stranraer. Gallagher did a fine job in that role but Stewart is not a third man in midfield and millar might well be back in. It shows the level of competition and back up I suppose . The rather scary mix ups between Crichton and Page in the first half certainly eased in the second half but it looked out of character for that pairing to be bumping into each other. Donnelly and Anderson gave them a hard time in that first half but that ended in most of the second half. Stranraer fans might have had a better view of the Anderson attack but I thought it was not a last man situation and will watch the highlights to prove the Ref. was correct!( hindsight is magic). The game showed that no one will be able to outplay any other team in most games and Stranraer look capable of being on a challenge for top four, just like us! 

Archived