Could Brexit Actually Be Stopped?

th1stleandr0se

On 8/27/2018 at 11:30, Fullerene said:

I recall a colleague from a company I use to work for.  He was made redundant, I went to his leaving-do and a week later he was back.
"Now they know what I do," he said.

It is a similar issue with the EU.

At the moment, a lot of people who voted leave have absolutely no idea what EU membership is really all about.
I suspect it will become obvious the day after we leave and that April 2019 will be spent trying to undo the whole thing.

Probably once they realise that most of their rights came from the EU and that they weren't British law.
Wait till workers find out their maternity leave is 3 weeks, there's only 10 days paid holidays.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, welshbairn said:

Why do you keep banging on about Cerberus living in America? 

Cause he's made some very smarmy posts about how shite Scotland is and how amazing America is.  I have quite a lot of experience of America and know he's talking shite, and also is talking shit about Scotland too which is actually pretty awesome, so I like to remind him of it.  There's good and bad points to both in reality, but you wouldn't believe it reading his fanny talk.

San Francisco for example where he lives has a massive and notorious homeless problem in certain areas downtown, people literally shit in the street.  Whereas Edinburgh is a fucking wonderful city with no such problems.  Yet reading his wankertalk you'd think Scotland is a third world country.

San Francisco for example where he lives has a massive and notorious homeless problem in certain areas downtown, people literally shit in the street.  Whereas Edinburgh is a fucking wonderful city with no such problems.  Yet reading his wankertalk you'd think Scotland is a third world country.

Are you seriously arguing that no one shits in the street in Edinburgh and also arguing that this somehow makes it a superior place to live? Having visited San Francisco and Edinburgh I know which I’d rather reside within (I’ll give you a clue it rhymes with Han Brancisco). You’ve lost the plot.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are you seriously arguing that no one shits in the street in Edinburgh and also arguing that this somehow makes it a superior place to live? Having visited San Francisco and Edinburgh I know which I’d rather reside within (I’ll give you a clue it rhymes with Han Brancisco). You’ve lost the plot.

Not on nearly the same scale.  I would be surprised if anybody will shit in the street in Edinburgh tonight, a thousand people will do it in San Francisco.  And I know which one is more popular with tourists.  People in Scotland don't realise what they have.  It's an incredible place.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Not on nearly the same scale.  I would be surprised if anybody will shit in the street in Edinburgh tonight, a thousand people will do it in San Francisco.  And I know which one is more popular with tourists.  People in Scotland don't realise what they have.  It's an incredible place.

I've not been to Edinburgh for a few years, but I used to live in, and still live near, an equivalent tourist trap in York. I assume Edinburgh has its equivalents of Clifton, Bell farm and other areas of deprivation. I would also be extremely surprised to hear that Scotland's capital was immune to the rough sleeping which has become a fixture across the UK in recent years.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I had a shit in a wheelie bin coming up Easter Road after the game on Saturday.

I just thought 'when in Rome' and aw' that...

Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but are you the same poster who stropped that you would leave Scotland for the States if a 2nd Indy Ref returned another No vote?

Brexit hasn't helped the case for trusting politicians. It's probably killed any trust that was left.

The worrying part now is that No Deal is being viewed as a viable option and this was never mentioned at all at any point over the past year or two. Getting a trade deal with the EU was supposed to be easy.

I'm currently reading the book All Out War by Tim Shipman and it highlights how many of the Tory MP's supporteud Leave to get one over Cameron and Osbourne for the failed reforms they tried to get in 2015/16. Brexit is defo a right wing eutopia!

As for the question, can it be stopped? I would like to think yes, but when Labour and the "rebel" Tories constantly support the government in crucial voting then I'm unsure.

1 hour ago, zidane's child said:

Brexit hasn't helped the case for trusting politicians. It's probably killed any trust that was left.

I think that’s correct and will have ramifications beyond Brexit and should be very, very worrying.

People have been rightly cynical of politicians for a long, long time but it could be reaching a tipping point whereby the concept of representative democracy is called into question.  

The populist approach adopted by Trump where continuous, easy proven, outright bare-faced lying has replaced subtle half truths without any diminution of support from his base is a further example of this.

If this comes to fruition the ‘oh well they’re all the same’ brigade will realise to their cost that this is an inaccuracy and an important one at that.

It won’t be stopped.

Either there will be a shit deal (with loads of detail left for negotiations in transition) or there will be a no-deal followed by a chaotic year or so in which emergency measures are put in place.

Paradoxically the latter might eventually lead to (de facto) EEA membership (the least worst Brexit) under a new government (which a deal before April will never be) but that’s still unlikely.

Archived