Stenhousemuir -vs- Dumbarton

This has always been the game I've had in my mind that will let us know whether or not Stevie is the right man to take us forward. He's under huge pressure and, dare I say, a majority of our support (or certainly a vocal minority) now want him punted.

If we were serious about a promotion charge then we should've been targeting three consecutive wins from the league games against Brechin, Stenhousemuir and Montrose. That's now out the window, and I dread to think what the 'Sons of the Rock' Facebook group will be like if we lose. It was a bloodbath on Saturday evening.

It would be nice to see the injury situation clear a wee bit, but that's probably wishful thinking. I would be inclined to hand Jamie McGowan a start though. He's a young guy who shouldn't be happy sitting on the bench, and Grant Adam's done little to convince that he's a better option. That aside we probably don't have many changes we can make.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back up home for the weekend and for my sins i'll be making my way through for this. This is a must win. There's a toxic atmosphere about the club at the moment and I get the feeling this game may well be last chance saloon for Aitken.

After Saturday's shambles this is a huge game.

We have a threadbare squad already, and the blame for that lies solely with the manager. Losing to Brechin and in such a manner has ramped up the pressure on Aitken and he really needs a result here.

It's early in the season and I don't want to say this is a must win. But this is a must win.

I'm looking forward to this game. I missed the last two matches due to being on holiday so this is a great one to come back to - two jobbers, duking it out like punch-drunk boxers.

By all accounts, we've been pretty rubbish the last two weeks and I can't really see things changing here. I did watch Dumbarton's highlights from their game against Brechin City - Boris Melingui's last-minute winner is a legitimate contender for Goal of the Season, by the way - and while there was some neat-and-tidy play, they looked profligate up top (Rory Loy in particular) and soft-centred at the back. I saw a couple of players went off injured and I wonder if they'll be around for Saturday. They can be got at, but I don't know if we have the wherewithal to do it.

I've been looking out for Rory Loy's performances since I interviewed him on the Pelé Podcast and, for all the misses, once he gets one, I reckon he could score 10 or 15 over the course of the season; I think this could be the game where it opens up for him. I haven't been terribly convinced by Alan Reid at full-back and I think Bobby Barr could skin him alive - the law of averages says Loy will have to convert at least one of these crosses.

As I mentioned above, Dumbarton look a little fragile and even an old warhorse like Andy Dowie wasn't at his best against Brechin. Stick big Mark McGuigan on him, get the ball into him and get Seb Ross and Sean Dickson up to support him.

I'm going for a solid 2-1 home win. McGuigan will get one, Kieron Gibbons will open his account for the club and Connor Duthie will add gloss to the score-line. Loy will eventually get his first goal for the Sons late on but it will count for nothing.

Stenhousemuir should be really fancying this game. If Brechin can beat us, they certainly can too. I think they’ve been unfairly written off as the team to finish last this season, and have always thought they’d surprise a few people and stay up.

Our threadbare squad should be desperate to restore some pride after the weekend. If Aitken isn’t drilling that into them all week long, then something is seriously wrong. Fail to win this and we’re looking at crisis territory, only five games in.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm looking forward to this game. I missed the last two matches due to being on holiday so this is a great one to come back to - two jobbers, duking it out like punch-drunk boxers.

By all accounts, we've been pretty rubbish the last two weeks and I can't really see things changing here. I did watch Dumbarton's highlights from their game against Brechin City - Boris Melingui's last-minute winner is a legitimate contender for Goal of the Season, by the way - and while there was some neat-and-tidy play, they looked profligate up top (Rory Loy in particular) and soft-centred at the back. I saw a couple of players went off injured and I wonder if they'll be around for Saturday. They can be got at, but I don't know if we have the wherewithal to do it.

I've been looking out for Rory Loy's performances since I interviewed him on the Pelé Podcast and, for all the misses, once he gets one, I reckon he could score 10 or 15 over the course of the season; I think this could be the game where it opens up for him. I haven't been terribly convinced by Alan Reid at full-back and I think Bobby Barr could skin him alive - the law of averages says Loy will have to convert at least one of these crosses.

As I mentioned above, Dumbarton look a little fragile and even an old warhorse like Andy Dowie wasn't at his best against Brechin. Stick big Mark McGuigan on him, get the ball into him and get Seb Ross and Sean Dickson up to support him.

I'm going for a solid 2-1 home win. McGuigan will get one, Kieron Gibbons will open his account for the club and Connor Duthie will add gloss to the score-line. Loy will eventually get his first goal for the Sons late on but it will count for nothing.

Mick Paton and Stuart Carswell both went off injured and will miss this week (probably the next few after that too). If none of our injuries clear up from Saturday's list then we'll have 12 fit players, 2 of those being Grant Adam and Jim McGowan. Carswell and Paton will be big misses. I suspect there will be some sort of addition to our squad for Saturday, more than likely a trialist (Brad Spencer again perhaps). I'm praying to all that is holy that Craig Barr is back this week but that would be a surprise. I would expect (and hope) that Calum Gallagher starts up front again, he seems to be the only striker we have who has the confidence to find the net at the moment. Jim McGowan must be sitting at the side wondering just how many mistakes Grant Adam needs to make before he gets a go too.

I have a horrible feeling we'll see Calum Gallagher deployed wide if our injury list is still honking:

Adam

Little -- Thomson -- Dowie -- Dyer

Gallagher -- Hutton -- Forbes -- Barr

Loy -- Russell

The plus side there is that Forbes plays centrally and can create things. The down side is we have a defence who could put on a display worthy of a nomination for Slapstick Comedy film of the year. A big week for us, defeat and I see no way back for Aitken.

23 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

But all that aside, I take it this is a Category A fixture? 

After all those heady years in the championship here we are in league one which with our current resources is the best we can hope for. The trouble is now that we are in league one the fans are expecting us to win matches rather than putting our backs to the wall and hoping for the best. 

i find it hard just to blame Steve Aitken for our problems. There is a much bigger problem in the background as the club staggers forward from the Dalmoak fiasco and with little money or resources and no clear idea what Brabco will do next the best what few players we have left can do is keep us in this division. Stevie Aitken and the players are not the bad guys but the money men or should I say lack of money men who have been invisibly controlling the club for the past few years must shoulder the blame.

It would be great if the fans could have complete control of the club but unless Brabco are bought out that will not happen. In the meantime at least support the players as they are as much victims as the fans are.

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

What happened to all the Stenny posters on here? Only seems to be about two left.

Good question. (Although I see it's been answered) :lol:

I was reading the League 2 threads the other day & Annan never even had a thread. They've had a great start to the season  as well, Someone started one just a few days ago.

Archived