Partick Thistle vs Greenock Morton

Bad needed result with the added bonus of a clean sheet, Banzo making an appearance and Brice (once fit) adding a desperately needed bit of steel in the midfield. If we can get Quitongo and Bannigan fit and keep them fit, things will be looking a hell of a lot more encouraging. Don't shoot the messenger if this doesn't happen, but got told after the match yesterday, from a good source, that the club are hopeful that the Coulibaly situation MIGHT  be resolved next week and if so, he will be in the squad for the East Fife game. Time will tell, but if we get clearance what a gigantic boost that will be!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

OK, I will take the bait. Who is the best player in the league?

Sean McGinty.

(or the guy who has scored back to back hattricks and already has 16 goals this season, with 8 in 4 in the league)

The first half was a complete nothing game of football. Both sides were fine, looking tidy in possession and not playing badly but there wasn't a single clear cut chance. Second half Partick went up a gear when we didn't have one to go, started creating while we still didn't and they deserved to win that.

Any hope we had of somehow bludgeoning an equaliser out of nowhere disappeared when Sutton decided to sub Tidser. He'd been the only player who looked like doing anything creatively and it's no surprise that we ended up with a Duffyesque five players standing in a line not moving ahead of the ball after he went off. It was never likely but the subs alone rule Sutton out of the job.

That was by a distance the worst refereeing decision I've ever seen. He'd lost the plot generally and shitebagged his way through the game - not giving Erskine a second booking for his trip on McKeown was a complete abdication of responsibility - but we're not really in a position to complain when Partick had a perfectly good goal disallowed for no apparent reason.

That first half was, at best, forgettable. Erskine had what looked a decent enough chance after a bit of a f**k up at the back from Morton. That was pretty much it.

Brice Ntambwe (pronounced Tambwe?) was poor in the first half, some bad distribution and had the makings of a walking red card. Played far better in the second though, and overall a solid debut.

Bannigan looked incredibly sharp when he came on, they couldn't get near him. Very good cameo appearance.

Spittal didn't have one of his best games imo, pretty ineffective.

I'm guessing that Morton fans wanted a 2nd yellow for Erskine when he conceded that free kick in the 2nd half in front of the main stand while already on a yellow?

Storey getting booked for an elbow looked harsh, eyes were firmly on the ball. Think it was a foul but nice of the Morton no.19 to start pretending it was a flailing and very deliberate elbow though.

We looked good at 1-0 up - I don't mind us shifting the ball about and retaining possession without purpose while 1-0 up all that much, gives us a platform to create chances to kill the game off (which we did - McGinty free header, Scully's double save) and doesn't really let the opposition start ramping up pressure on our defence which we're generally not great at soaking up.

Morton generally looked very weak at defending set pieces throughout - don't know how much of that is something that we're working at getting better on vs. them perhaps being disorganised what with the managerial change.

That disallowed goal was remarkable - I was convinced it must have somehow been an offside somewhere or someone had fouled a defender but nope, throw in. I mean the Morton defender has booted it away in disgust at conceding and literally all the players reacted as if it was a goal which might have been the first clue that, er, it was a goal.

Word of advice to the Thistle announcer guy, cut out the thing after a goal when you say the scorers first name and the crowd shouts his surname. That only works in a stadium with 90,000 passionate fans foaming at the mouth the whole game.

Just glad that non-goal decision didn’t come back to haunt us, I was convinced it would -  it’s saved about 1800 Ainsley Harriott pics on this thread from VT so small mercies. It's by some margin the worst decision by a linesman I’ve ever seen- I’m putting the Paddy Connolly one down to Mottram.

I was raging at the time but I feel a bit sorry for the ref, he must have known by the reaction of all 22 players it was in, but the linesman was evidently adamant. The linesman can hand his resignation in any time he likes tbh.

That aside, that was quite a pleasing performance especially in that we actually got better as a game went on and the opposition ran out of ideas which is the opposite of normal, so I’ll keep the negatives as brief as possible: Christie Elliott is a bombscare at right back, he lucked into the position by default and will cost us goals- and quite probably should have given away a penalty today- it’s worrying we think he’s not even worth covering with an actual right back. Spittal now refuses to take any responsibility, his confidence is gone, needs benched ASAP.

Positives, second half there were plenty of them. The main one being Bannigan being back, his ball retention and even just weight of pass are a class apart from anyone else in our team. Brice started like a man towing a caravan and was very lucky not to get booked for persistent fouling but came onto a game after half an hour before tiring. Those two in midfield with Slater – who is by a mile our best number 10 and not suited to taking the ball off the centre halves- in front of them should be the midfield triangle if all available and fit.

Erskine was up and down, he looked the only player in the first half that would do anything at all for us going forward and took his goal well, he seems to have some record vs Morton IIRC. The two CBs were fine, McGinty is clearly limited but I’m happy for him to Row Z it most of the time, and Keown with a run of games and confidence should be easily good enough at this level. Loving Penrice’s mazy runs and attacking intent but he had a couple of brain farts near the end. Storey doesn’t have a brain to fart with, thought yellow was about right for his foul, didn’t think he meant it but his elbow was up, the Morton #19 was running about like a wee grass, considering he was lucky to be on the field himself after his tackle in the first half.

Hopefully Quitongo, Brice, and Bannigan get as much game time as possible vs East Fife next week.

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Word of advice to the Thistle announcer guy, cut out the thing after a goal when you say the scorers first name and the crowd shouts his surname. That only works in a stadium with 90,000 passionate fans foaming at the mouth the whole game.

That'll be Firhill. What's your problem? :whistle

7 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

That'll be Firhill. What's your problem? :whistle

90,000, eh? Really?

What with your poor grasp of arithmetic, and that of whoever came up with the idea that there were only 300 or so of our fans there when it was quite clearly something like three times that number,  it doesn't say much for the quality of schooling in the Maryhill area.

Either that,  or the  turnstile operators  in the away stand have a very profitable little number going on.......

Just now, Rudolph Hucker said:

90,000, eh? Really?

What with your poor grasp of arithmetic, and that of whoever came up with the idea that there were only 300 or so of our fans there when it was quite clearly something like three times that number,  it doesn't say much for the quality of schooling in the Maryhill area.

Either that,  or the  turnstile operators  in the away stand have a very profitable little number going on.......

Did they announce 300 away fans, or is that just what you've heard a fan suggest you had?

Looked about 600-700 to me.

Just now, Nightmare said:

Did they announce 300 away fans, or is that just what you've heard a fan suggest you had?

Looked about 600-700 to me.

The announcer mis-read it as 320 at the game. Our twitter confirmed it as 820.

1 minute ago, tonup9 said:

Did we have any forwards on yesterday,we done nothing to cause the keeper any problems.

We did, but not so you'd notice. The most disappointing thing about that game was that the nearest we came to scoring was what would've been an own goal from a deflection near the end.

Archived