Partick Thistle vs Greenock Morton

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We started well and then fell away to feck and had no decent options on the bench apart from Telfer... what's the script with him? Is he carrying a knock? 

For all that McHugh will get slaughtered,  Denny was every bit as bad and shouldn't have started the game. 

Tidser and Midge looked fucking knackered before the hour mark. 

f**k knows how Erskine stayed on the park but f**k knows how that 2nd goal wasn't given!

We didnt deserve anything from that. 

Benefit of the doubt is we blame the circumstances. 

Oh well, at least we're still in touching distance of the top of the table and chief rat b*****d's lot are still without a point. 

Thought we were pretty good today. First half was bland with f**k all happening, but (for once) we really grew into the game in the second and ran out deserved winners.

I like Ntambwe; he puts himself about and does the dirty work for the ball players like Slater and Bannigan, and while he was a bit over-zealous in some of his tackles, he has the makings of a solid Osman-type enforcer. For a guy who hasn't played a match since Lierse folded in May, he was impressive. Great to see Bannigan back as well, and despite barely playing for two years, he strolled it when he came on against Morton's much-vaunted central midfielders. Morton as a whole were pretty pish, although in the circumstances of losing a manager on the night of the game, that's not a huge surprise.

The referee had a terrible game, and the far-side linesman even worse. Why he's sticking his nose in to disallow a goal that people 100 yards away in the Lambie Stand could see had crossed the line, nobody but him will know. I hope the stupid c**t enjoys running the line at Borough Briggs for the foreseeable future.

Ntambwe looked very raw but the difference of finally having a credible, physical presence in midfield for the first time in about two years was glaring - Keown and McGinty actually looked passable as a centre half pairing without having to deal with the immense pressure that comes from a piss-weak midfield. Indeed we had the better of Morton's much vaunted midfield for most of the afternoon, with Bannigan's cameo topping off an unexpectedly well-rounded performance.

I still think Penrice is too much of a defensive liability to be perfectly suited to left-back, but ability to attack from the position isn't in question and he and Storey had the better of Morton's right hand side all afternoon. If Storey could lift his head more often we might've had more goals.

I don't often dwell on referees, but the officials today were responsible for probably the worst decision I've ever seen. Most of the blame lies with the referee, who saw the goal from a far superior position and had his view completely revised by a linesman who clearly didn't have a clue what was going on. No danger he'd have told his assistant to f**k off if they'd been in the same position at Parkhead tomorrow.

I presume Morton fans are saying Erskine should have been off just for going mental at the disallowed goal? Can’t remember him doing anything else and think it would have been very harsh to send him off for dissent given the circumstances.

Chris Millar ran the show first 25 mins but after big Brice got into the game, I thought we were more than deserved winners.

Probably the best second half performance we’ve had in a while. Seeing Banzo back on the park was amazing. His passing was so crisp and miles away from what Barton/Edwards and Woods were serving up last season. He can do things with one pass that they would do together in two, so should help speed up our attacks.

Big Jinty McGinty might actually be a player. Had written him off after the Ayr game but he was imperious yesterday. A lot of good performances all over the pitch and Erskine showed he’s still a match winner at this level. Happy days.

Was a bit 'meh' on Bannigan coming on (the joke was would he make it to the touchline without breaking), but he was the best player on the park by miles - every Thistle player looked better just by his movement and passing speeding things up.

If he can stay fit, he'll be the 2nd best player in that league.

IF he stays fit...

This is Steven McLean scoring Hearts first goal v Cowdenbeath on 24th July this year in the Betfred cup.

The referee who missed the blatant punch into the net, ? Barry Cook ! So don’t hold out any hope that he will be demoted. In fact, will probably be a shoe in for UEFA promotion now.

8C7ABAA6-006F-428B-9D44-5FF7D54CD12E.jpeg

From a neutral standpoint:

- It was an interesting game. Thistle looked shaky first half, with Morton probably shading things. Second half, Thistle were more or less in control.
- Ntambwe looked very shaky in the first half, but grew into things as the game went on. I’m sure he’ll only get better.
- Was surprised not to see a red card on a couple of occasions. Very lenient ref. The disallowed goal also goes down as the worst decision I’ve ever seen at a game.
- Standout players for me were the Thistle full backs. Dominant on either flank.
- Morton didn’t look like a team whose manager had left them 24 hours ago. All credit to them.
- Could end up being a season defining win from Thistle’s POV. Scraping a 1-0 (well, 2-0) against a team near the top (albeit a managerless one) is a solid basis to build from.

I prioritised going to this game over unpacking having just arrived here, and I’d say it was just about worth it.

How the hell did they not give that goal? What has the ref said about it? I take it they thought it hit the bar? Surely the players actions tell you its a goal? Partick players away celebrating and Morton players walking away? 

20 minutes ago, bad chad said:

Was a bit 'meh' on Bannigan coming on (the joke was would he make it to the touchline without breaking), but he was the best player on the park by miles - every Thistle player looked better just by his movement and passing speeding things up.

If he can stay fit, he'll be the 2nd best player in that league.

IF he stays fit...

OK, I will take the bait. Who is the best player in the league?

Archived