CSAFL

Hands_Free

2 hours ago, dumbarton82 said:

It was always going to be difficult for anyone taking on the Colville job this year due to the success Mick had but didn't think they would have any problems attracting players, especially with the inventive of playing in the big Scottish. From what I can see the big problem they have is none of the players, that didn't go junior but have instead went elsewhere in the amateur ranks, had no real affiliation to them. Mick cast his net far and wide to bring in some of the best players in the amateur game to the club and as soon as he left they were off as well. The 2 main amateur teams from down here tend to have mainly local players that have attended the secondary schools there names come from and are playing for the club's there brother, dad, uncle, grandad etc played for. They don't seem to bring in players from out with the area and that is maybe one of many reasons none of the majors have been in Dumbarton for a good few years. However they will always have a decent team and not struggle for players due to this.

That's why Accies and St Pat's are proper clubs. Value stability over short term success. Yip, it's great to win things but the most important thing is keeping clubs running each season for the community and if the success comes then that's a bonus.

Amateur football should be all about playing for your local team with your mates. 

You have these flash in the pan teams every few seasons now who appear from nowhere and compete or win things but then disappear out of the game altogether. 

Guest Mick Kennedy
2 minutes ago, Boab17 said:

lol its never ending Mick. Obviously it was YOU that was paying the players lol 

Ano mate, it was always going to be interesting to see if the club ever got accused of playing players if it ever struggled. At a time when they need to build a new squad they would stop paying players, yeh that makes sense it’s embarrassing. The club has never paid a player and never will.

The truth is we where successful through hard work, commitment, desire and a togetherness that was unbreakable until I left. The foundations I would build anywhere I go. But if it makes it easier to accept our success they can make up what they want.

Dumbarton said it, I cast me net wide and far to attract players with no relationship with me some who played with our biggest rivals, who I was desperate to get and I couldn’t convince them to Join us, not one was offered a penny, some have already came out on social media and admitted I didn’t offer money. 

Guest Mick Kennedy
18 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

That's why Accies and St Pat's are proper clubs. Value stability over short term success. Yip, it's great to win things but the most important thing is keeping clubs running each season for the community and if the success comes then that's a bonus.

Amateur football should be all about playing for your local team with your mates. 

You have these flash in the pan teams every few seasons now who appear from nowhere and compete or win things but then disappear out of the game altogether. 

Club was founded in 1968, 14 years of being at the top amateur football competing each year isn’t a flash in the pan, and Colville are still going .

Amatuer football should be about trying to win if you don’t have that hunger or desire then why bother yourself. It should be no different from any other level of football. I’m sure the above 2 clubs have signed players who arent their mats when the join I’m sure they have aspirations of winning trophies every season. 

Edited by Mick Kennedy

6 hours ago, Mick Kennedy said:

Club was founded in 1968, 14 years of being at the top amateur football competing each year isn’t a flash in the pan, and Colville are still going .

Amatuer football should be about trying to win if you don’t have that hunger or desire then why bother yourself. It should be no different from any other level of football. I’m sure the above 2 clubs have signed players who arent their mats when the join I’m sure they have aspirations of winning trophies every season. 

I wasn't specifically getting at Colville mate tbh it was more of a general point. Colville have always been a decent club with a good reputation. 

Yes, you play to win and yourself as a manager your only focus is on getting the best possible team on the park for yourself but the committees at clubs should be looking at long term stability rather than short term success. Without getting a dig in at you (and it's not your problem tbh) but anybody looking from the outside in at Colville could see the moment you walked away, all the players were going to follow as their loyalty was to you and not the club. As I said, that's not your issue though and the committee should have had plans in place for your eventual departure and bringing in other Glasgow based guys makes no sense when they dont have the pull you do with players. 

They should have looked locally. Even looked to merge with another club or even get a local 21s team to step up, and if it takes a few seasons to rebuild the club again then so be it. Colville still being there in 5-10 years time is more important than more short termism.

5 hours ago, Des18 said:

Pleased to see Gaz currie back playing after being out for long period with injury. A class act ! Good luck for new season.

Great wee guy and defo one of life’s good guys, all the best to him.

Good to see the footie is back and central teams flying

Eastfield n stpats in particular 

Caught some of Stpats game on my way to Largs for a 99er Easy win murdered them!

Big Arnie looks like hes been tossing the Caber all Summer!

Big Centre hawf for stpats never broke sweat! Absolute Pler!

Roll on the 7th x

On 19/07/2019 at 09:25, Gunner said:

I know Heepsy who is in at CP with Rab. I asked him yesterday if Rab had stepped away and he said no. 

Maybe he didnt want to tell you the truth.

But Rob has def stepped down as manager but will still coach.

Strange. 

1 hour ago, BarmyAmmy said:

Strange. 

Very strange. 

Club needs a manager more than ever the now, for Robert to step down after only a couple of months from being announced is worrying for them. 

I hope Colville do sort things out and get back on track. In a time when Clubs r struggling it would be a travesty for the amateur game if a Club like Colville fell away.

Strange. 

Has John Heeps taken over? I know he’s been making a few phone calls to players from other amateur/junior clubs trying to entice them with the ‘big Scottish’.

As it stands they will embarrass themselves in that competition, if they last that long.

18 hours ago, BarmyAmmy said:

Strange. 

Ah. ok, so I guess were getting caught up in manager/coach etc. I asked heepsy if Rab was away. He said no. I didnt think to be so specific to ask if rab was now not manager but a coach. 

I've not spoke to heepsy since, since I'm not overly fussed. I'm sure CP will find their feet in time - the next ones in the door were always going to be compared to the last few years and clearly have a big rebuild job on their hands. 

14 hours ago, Chappy said:

What’s our predictions for the leagues this season then ? 

Premier wide open and probably 5 teams all think they have a chance of winning, but think the winner will come from Bannockburn or Eastfield.

Always dangerous to predict before a ball has been kicked but I suspect the usual suspects, st pats, Eastfield and Bannockburn to be in the mix. Harestaines have strengthened and will be there or there about and I  fancy Fallin and Drum to cause of few surprises as both very good young teams.

at a push I think Eastfield might just edge out Bannockburn for the title. 

Eastfield seem to have racked up a few good pre-season results and think they will be team to beat. Harestanes impressed me last year when I seen them and the additions of the Colville boys will push them into contention. Bannockburn are always there abouts. St Pats have managed to keep squad together and added a couple from St Joe's I believe. There 2nd team had some decent players last season that won a couple of trophies in the greater glasgow so would expect one of two of the young boys to move up from there so reckon they should be stronger. Will be a really competitive league again and look forward to taking in a few games

On 21/07/2019 at 18:32, Redondo said:

Very strange. 

Club needs a manager more than ever the now, for Robert to step down after only a couple of months from being announced is worrying for them. 

I hope Colville do sort things out and get back on track. In a time when Clubs r struggling it would be a travesty for the amateur game if a Club like Colville fell away.

So much for the colville family brigade! Surely a manager leaving doesn't mean all players leaving to go to other amateur teams? Hung the new gaffer out to dry!!!! 

Guest Mick Kennedy
32 minutes ago, Kaiser88 said:

So much for the colville family brigade! Surely a manager leaving doesn't mean all players leaving to go to other amateur teams? Hung the new gaffer out to dry!!!! 

No one hung the new manager out to dry, the players where open and honest about their intentions about leaving. Only a couple agreed to wait to see how the club would look then they have decided to move on. 

That group of players gave the club everything whilst I was there they brought many years of success, they decided they wanted to move on. The new manager was appointed well before the season ended, but it was going to be difficult for anyone trying to pull a full new squad together in this day and age.