CSAFL

Hands_Free

Well said mate.

He may well have left the senior game, but he is 35 and reasonably fit , not carrying any excess weight, and I can confirm that in the 4 pre season games he has played , he has been superb in all of them, as you would expect a player of his calibre to be when he steps down into the amateur ranks. Also, I have been impressed with his attitude towards the amateur game , whereby he is very patient and encouraging to the players roundabout him, including opponents, and he pays his tenner like the rest of the squad !! 
It may not last, but while he is with our Club, we will embrace it and hopefully learn from him and vice versa.
On that point, we may well not be Bannockburn or Harestanes or any other of the top clubs, but we are striving to be better,and yes we have had some bad seasons, the same as even the top clubs, but we are a proper amateur club in the truest sense and as we move into our 60th year of existence, we will try and remove the perception that we are "shite"

37 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

He may well have left the senior game, but he is 35 and reasonably fit , not carrying any excess weight, and I can confirm that in the 4 pre season games he has played , he has been superb in all of them, as you would expect a player of his calibre to be when he steps down into the amateur ranks. Also, I have been impressed with his attitude towards the amateur game , whereby he is very patient and encouraging to the players roundabout him, including opponents, and he pays his tenner like the rest of the squad !! 

It may not last, but while he is with our Club, we will embrace it and hopefully learn from him and vice versa.

On that point, we may well not be Bannockburn or Harestanes or any other of the top clubs, but we are striving to be better,and yes we have had some bad seasons, the same as even the top clubs, but we are a proper amateur club in the truest sense and as we move into our 60th year of existence, we will try and remove the perception that we are "shite"

Only good for the Club having an ex pro of international stature at the Club. 

Good response also to a poor comment.

Canny win on here! Was either gonna go one of two ways, ‘nae wonder he’s shite and done’ or ‘he was playing pro last year, they must be paying him’

Fair play to Stedfast, Craig’s been about, knows the game, played with some cracking players and under some cracking managers. He’d be welcomed with open arms to any amateur team and he obviously loves the game and wants to keep playing. Good on him as well.

Some terrible comments on here from folk who probably know nothing about Stedfast. All the best to Stedfast for the coming season.

Thought he was older than 35 but that’s what his wiki page says. Saw him playing up front for Edinburgh City must have been two seasons ago. His legs were well gone but you could see he still had it upstairs and had a young striker who was quick and played off his knocks. Think he had a bad injury up at Elgin at the start of last season. Certainly should be a good addition to Stedfast’s ranks with all his experience

2 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Good signing for Stedfast. Refereed Stedfast v Glasgow Island - Friendly and “Beats” played in Defence at end of last season. Strolled through the game and passed on his knowledge to the younger Stedfast players. Had a good battle with the young winger for Glasgow Island on the day and I’m sure the young lad enjoyed the battle with an Ex Pro. Well done to everyone at Stedfast for getting Beats onboard.  Welcome to the League and congratulations to Stedfast in their 60th year. Not easy nowadays with the amount of established teams folding. 

8 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Great post mate , I have no doubt he will stroll the amateur game week  in week out passing on invaluable knowledge and experience to teammates. 35 is nothing if playing at back still has a good few years left in him . 

Steadfast should be applauded for signing and also credit to player going to a club who are building up a challenge as I’m sure any of the top clubs would love Craig  Beattie in there squad.

13 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Refereed one of the friendlies, and he was excellent at the back. Could hear him talking to the guys around him and he also popped up with a goal right at the end, a nice volleyed finish across goal. I don't think anyone is expecting the Craig Beattie of old, age comes to us all - but at 35, with his experience and fitness he will be a great asset to Stedfast. 

Edited by Gunner
spelling

43 minutes ago, Gunner said:

Refereed one of the friendlies, and he was excellent at the back. Could hear him talking to the guys around him and he also popped up with a goal right at the end, a nice volleyed finish across goal. I don't think anyone is expecting the Craig Beattie of old, age comes to us all - but at 35, with his experience and fitness he will be a great asset to Steadfast. 

There are still guys in there mid to late 30s who stand out week in week out for there teams in the Central league so for anyone to doubt that Craig Beattie is not going to make a positive impact at this level needs there head looked at!!

Great signing. Are there anymore ex pros out there looking for Clubs? Im sure there would be a que of clubs looking for a signature!!

Does anyone know if Drumchapel Possil have strengthened/changed much from last year?
Caught their game at the Green last night and thought they had a couple of cracking individual players - particularly in midfield - but just didn’t gel as a team, which makes me think they’ve maybe brought in some new bodies, or are missing some. I seen they got skelped 9-1 last weekend off Wishaw WW and only 3-2 off them last night but don’t think the 9-1 was at all indicative of their current state.

32 minutes ago, Wallygog said:

Saw on twitter tonight that Ardencaple and Gourock Athletic have resigned from the league. Castlemilk Dynamo have moved divisions to balance the divisions.

What does the rule book say on teams moving leagues to balane? Does leagues not need to be finalised before certain date? 

1 hour ago, Wallygog said:

Saw on twitter tonight that Ardencaple and Gourock Athletic have resigned from the league. Castlemilk Dynamo have moved divisions to balance the divisions.

Just for clarification. Castlemilk Dynamo haven't moved as such. We had no say in that decision. We were informed that as we were the last team drawn into 1b, that we have been re-drawn into 1a. Definitely wasnt our choice. Due to Bearsden dropping out of the League Cup Section, and us being re-drawn into a different division, we are now preparing for a THIRD (so far) different opposition for our opening competitive game of the season Bearsden, Cambusnethan Talbot and now Falkirk, with scope for that also to change. As a new team into the league, this is something we could very well have done without.

I also think league structure is open to change until the first round of fixtures has been played. *I think* 

Edited by Sempy13

Central league rapidly declining. Few more clubs likely to go in the next few weeks I hear as well. The standard of the lower divisions are only helped by a couple of new clubs with decent pedigree. The top league is littered with disciplinary issues. 

3 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

Central league rapidly declining. Few more clubs likely to go in the next few weeks I hear as well. The standard of the lower divisions are only helped by a couple of new clubs with decent pedigree. The top league is littered with disciplinary issues. 

And what issues would that be 

35 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

Disciplinary issues?

5 minutes ago, Fraz_1311 said:

The associations just please themselves now a days. 

In fairness to the central what else can they do? They can't predict what teams fold and last season they had clubs in certain divisions finishing league seasons in march. They have tried to even it up and if any criticism would be that it should of been a redraw to see who moved.  I'm sure Dynamo won't be complaining as on paper its an easier league. 

Moving teams to balance the leagues up numerically is fair enough imo but who played god and decided who. Especially if it's a perceived easier league then hopefully this decision was done by the luck of the draw

In fairness to the central what else can they do? They can't predict what teams fold and last season they had clubs in certain divisions finishing league seasons in march. They have tried to even it up and if any criticism would be that it should of been a redraw to see who moved.  I'm sure Dynamo won't be complaining as on paper its an easier league. 

There was a friendly down here at the weekend between dumbarton accies and glenburn that had 2 red cards for dissent towards the ref. Don't think discipline problems are only an issue for central teams

Spoke to many referees who have dealt with some of the central teams so far this pre season and they say they are by far the worst teams to ref.  Obviously not all of them but a fair few.