Dunfermline v ICT

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Higgy, Connolly and I think Beadling played today in reserve match 1-1 with Motherwell. Lewis McCann scored.

Beadling didn’t play today. Higgy, Connolly and Thomson did. Beadling is out injured again.

Someone on dotnet is saying around two weeks for Beadling. Due to start running today ICT too early.

One of the few decent folk on there so it seems credible.

We should just go for the jugular against ICT and get Higgy back in. He played 80 mins today against Motherwell reserves.

15 hours ago, Snafu said:

Maybe we are in for one of these seasons where our away form is better than our home form?

Seen a few encouraging signs on Saturday to make me believe we are starting to gel but converting these chances into goals is a still problem. Tom Walsh looks our most improved player since the start of the season, he is creating opportunities for himself and for others and that is key. I think if he continues he will become a vital player for us as the season progresses.

I can't help wondering if this ridged 4-4-2 formation that Robbo seems to like is not working with the players we have, it just seems to old fashioned and predictable. I don't think we are using the full attacking potential this squad of players have. Against decent teams we will be sussed out too easily.

Yep.  The play is too lateral and it'a like the players have been told not to waiver from their positions.  It's always a ball across the 4 midfielders, a cross and it's cleared ad nauseam.  There's no dynamism in a 4-4-2, no one dropping deep or playing in the 'number 10' slot.  4-2-3-1 worked so well for us from 2012-2016 but we haven't recruited the players capable of playing that way now.  We only really have Polworth and Doran left from that era, midfield wise.

10 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I’ve been thinking for a while that a 4-2-3-1 with Doran on the right, Calder on the left, Walsh as the number 10 and Polworth and Welsh holding might work for us.

Also, apparently Angus Beith is in training.

I'd probably have Doran as the Number 10. He has by far the most ability in our team and I think he is the only one who can see that pass that can break through defences.

Who do you play up front though? Austin or Oakley? Maybe have Austin coming in from one of the wide positions and drop one of Calder and Walsh. Only suggesting this as Austins goal against Dunfermline in the 2-2 was from him cutting in from the right wing.

12 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I’ve been thinking for a while that a 4-2-3-1 with Doran on the right, Calder on the left, Walsh as the number 10 and Polworth and Welsh holding might work for us.

Also, apparently Angus Beith is in training.

It's worth a shot, still provides good cover to the centre halves.

I'd probably have Doran as the Number 10. He has by far the most ability in our team and I think he is the only one who can see that pass that can break through defences.
Who do you play up front though? Austin or Oakley? Maybe have Austin coming in from one of the wide positions and drop one of Calder and Walsh. Only suggesting this as Austins goal against Dunfermline in the 2-2 was from him cutting in from the right wing.

I’ve thought myself lately if Austin would be better suited to the wing. His pace and power would certainly offer more than the likes of Polworth. I wouldn’t want to drop Walsh though. Oakley will only score mostly tap-ins but that’s still more than what White would offer, while Austin doesn’t seem to have the fire in his belly this season.

Didn't we play Foran on the left of the 3 behind Mckay in the Butcher days? Maybe Austin could do a job there with Oakley up front by himself?

I'd be fine with a narrow, rigid 4-4-2 if we had the players for it, but it stifles Polworth and excludes Doran and Calder. Again, that's fine if we're bipassing midfield but I'm not convinced our strikers are good enough in the air for that. Then there's Rooney - if there's any chance that he can play at this level then it's not in a back 4. 

10 minutes ago, CaleyStan said:

I'd be fine with a narrow, rigid 4-4-2 if we had the players for it, but it stifles Polworth and excludes Doran and Calder. Again, that's fine if we're bipassing midfield but I'm not convinced our strikers are good enough in the air for that. Then there's Rooney - if there's any chance that he can play at this level then it's not in a back 4. 

Indeed, we need a formation that means we can swap out Chalmers for Calder or Doran.  I'm fine with Polworth, Walsh and Welsh in there.

I'd go, 

Ridgers

McKay  McCart  Donaldson  Tremarco

Welsh     Polworth

Walsh                Doran                 Calder

Austin

And Walsh and Calder need to fucking hug the touchlines.  Robbo has some non-width fetish for some reason.

Archived