Queens v Ayr

This will surprise a few Queens fans but I am a very happy fan. 

That 1st half was as good as I have seen Queens play for a long time .

Sir Stephen Dobbie is  easily the best player in the Championship we are lucky to have him but every player played there part.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sir Stephen Dobbie is  easily the best player in the Championship we are lucky to have him but every player played there part.

Great to have you on board Northfield. More of that positivity please.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye the pitch invader was an embarrassment for all involved. The police officers nearby walked up to the gate and were watching him approach the ref, when they probably would have caught the fat mess had they bothered their arses to go after him. Instead, them and the stewards did nothing until he fell. I think had he not spectacularly fell on his arse he would have assaulted the ref. For certain members of the Ayr support to then applaud the muppet was equally cringeworthy.

As far as I’m aware, if an invader goes on the pitch then it ISN’T the police’s job to intervene. It’s the stewards job to go onto the pitch and bring them back to the police to deal with. It did certainly look like the stewards took an age to react to the situation 

35 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

giphy (4).gif

On to the game. That's two games in a row where it wouldn't be ludicrous to suggest it's as good as we've played for years. The last two games have had such a sense of 'the players are buying in to what the manager wants'. Everyone appears to know his role just now and not only that, they're doing it! I still fear at crosses purely because of last season but the last two games we've had to deal with crosses (as it's been the only real way the opposition got in, which is a great thing in itself) and have actually dealt with them pretty comfortably. Not one failure in the side two games in a row.

Absolutely solid at the back. Shankland got one sniff all game and Martin reacted well. To keep the league's second best striker so quiet is testament to how well the back line are performing and daft as it may sound I came away grinning more about our defence than our forward players. I think it's because we all know we are capable of scoring and know the quality we have going forward. The defence has taken a shitload a flack the last season and a bit so for them to look so good and improve so much really is worth praising. I can appreciate Naysmith harping on about them in his interviews. Finally they seem to be screwing the nut. I said it at the time and I stand by it (even though it's a ridiculous statement given our squad size) but Fordyce getting injured is a small blessing. Doyle and Semple are looking a solid partnership and Fordyce will have to wait it out even when he returns.

I'm glad someone gave Ayr a pummeling and particularly glad it was us. The majority on here are humble in victory and defeat but some of the stuff before the game was beyond arrogant. It will knock those ones down a peg or two. Also loving the irony by some of them. We were to get beat and claim we had an off day, like their previous opponents did. Yet it's completely reversed [emoji38]

Other than the muppets who applauded the eejit on the pitch I thought the Ayr fans were a decent bunch. They took a pounding and the majority still stayed to applaud them at the end and continued to shout words of encouragement. Some even applauding Dobbie off similar to last week. And as I said earlier, there were a couple I was back and forth with throughout the game who were very pleasant. One of them even approaching me to shake my hand at the end.

Long may our form continue because you have to think injuries are going to kick in, so we need to get points on the board as early as possible.

ETA. Absolutely loving our management's antics at our goals. Nothing better for me than seeing your manager going daft when the side scores. Love his passion :D

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I said it at the time and I stand by it (even though it's a ridiculous statement given our squad size) but Fordyce getting injured is a small blessing. Doyle and Semple are looking a solid partnership and Fordyce will have to wait it out even when he returns.

This. It is probably not a coincidence that the defence has conceded fewer goals since Fordyce got injured. So, it possibly isn’t so much that last season’s defence is playing better, just that the 2 main central defenders have been replaced. Saying that Mercer looks to have improved.

The last couple of games remind me a bit of our season in the seaside league.

The freedom Naismith gives our midfielders is a breath of fresh air, we aren't a static 4-4-2. They all seem to swap during the game which you'd imagine could leave us open but it doesn't somehow. We've found a Style that gets the best out our players and I am walking around still buzzing from the last two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

The freedom Naismith gives our midfielders is a breath of fresh air, we aren't a static 4-4-2. They all seem to swap during the game which you'd imagine could leave us open but it doesn't somehow. We've found a Style that gets the best out our players and I am walking around still buzzing from the last two weeks.

It's a good feeling, you've just got to ride that wave for as long as it lasts then wait for the next one to pop up, I'm hoping to hop back on it in a fortnight, .

25 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Dougie Anderson was sent to the stands. Is that it done and dusted?

Depends if the Ref includes it in his report,  if so  maybe further action will be taken.  As I said in another post, the Ref makes a mistake by not allowing  a clear advantage to be played but it's the Queens assistant (and team)   who are punished. 

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Well played Northfield

Don't worry he'll be back to his normal self predicting doom and gloom for the Crusaders game.  

Couple of points on some incidents

I've never seen a penalty greeted with so much lack of enthusiasm from our supporters - it looked like Dykes had been fouled both outside and inside the box. The ref never seemed to point to the spot and then went to book a player. Most around me thought it was to Dykes for diving. Once he booked the Ayr player knew it was a pen but no great cheers. At the pen did the fan run on the pitch before or after Dobbie took it. I actually thought the ref was going to let Dobbie take it again. The stewards were so slow in reacting and several of them got a rollicking from police and head steward.

Anderson getting sent to stand was unfortunate - don't know what he said - but ref should clearly have played advantage as although Todd was just inside Ayr half a couple he had a clear run on goals. Afterwards I thought Naysmith was a bit lost always looking for clarification from Anderson. Naysmith had to get more involved with the players on the pitch in organising a job that Anderson usually does unnoticed

The look on Missy’s face when I announced on Friday evening we were heading to Glasgow Airport on Saturday from Perth via Dumfries was priceless [emoji23][emoji23] a fantastic performance, just wish we kept at it the 2nd half and really pumped them. I still seethe at the challenge cup semi in the early 90’s when they got two dubious off side goals [emoji23][emoji23] credit to Ayr though they never chucked in the towel as other teams would have.

5 minutes ago, queenslad said:

I've never seen a penalty greeted with so much lack of enthusiasm from our supporters - it looked like Dykes had been fouled both outside and inside the box. The ref never seemed to point to the spot and then went to book a player. Most around me thought it was to Dykes for diving. Once he booked the Ayr player knew it was a pen but no great cheers. At the pen did the fan run on the pitch before or after Dobbie took it. I actually thought the ref was going to let Dobbie take it again. The stewards were so slow in reacting and several of them got a rollicking from police and head steward.

Anderson getting sent to stand was unfortunate - don't know what he said - but ref should clearly have played advantage as although Todd was just inside Ayr half a couple he had a clear run on goals. Afterwards I thought Naysmith was a bit lost always looking for clarification from Anderson. Naysmith had to get more involved with the players on the pitch in organising a job that Anderson usually does unnoticed

He wasn't running and he was well on the pitch before Dobbie took the penalty, it appeared to me like he was just coming on to show the ref what a dive looked like.

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

He wasn't running and he was well on the pitch before Dobbie took the penalty, it appeared to me like he was just coming on to show the ref what a dive looked like.

Perhaps he was coming on to explain what a red card offence is. Quite how your centre half stayed on at the second penalty is beyond me. If he was on the pitch when it was taken it should really have been retaken.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Perhaps he was coming on to explain what a red card offence is. Quite how your centre half stayed on at the second penalty is beyond me. If he was on the pitch when it was taken it should really have been retaken.

It was definitely a red card and the penalty should have been retaken.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just be happy with your 5 and give us a wee break, please..............

Yeah it wasn't clear. He did point, but given where the incident happened folk still weren't sure if it was a penalty or a FK. The yellow card being produced probably made it even more confusing as most would be waiting for a red (forgetting the new rule).

The fan was definitely on the pitch before Dobbie hit the penalty because I missed the actual penalty because I was watching in great disbelief this moron being allowed to stroll onto the pitch without anyone intervening. Luckily for Ayr the ref never noticed him until after the penalty. I think it would have been controversial to re-take it after he missed. Having said that, why the linesman never warned the ref is baffling (I'm sure they had the headpieces on).

I wasn't at the dugout side but I think it's harsh to suggest Naysmith was lost after Dougie got sent off.

An excellent performance from Queens and a very poor one from Ayr. 1st pen was very soft and it looked like we should have got 2 pens. The ref was a joke but we were well beaten. This was a reality check and hopefully we will regroup and take 3 points off Falkirk who will be pumped up for this fixture to please their new manager.

Archived