Queens v Ayr

Good to see McCall has a fully fit squad to pick from for the the first time this season. I’ve thought long and hard about the team and and I’d go:

Doohan

Smith Rose Adams Harvie 

Forrest Kerr Murdoch Crawford

Moffat Shankland 

Subs: Hare- Reid, Geggan, Bell, Docherty, McDaid, McGuffie, Moore 

If McCall decides not to play Adams on plastic then I expect Bell to come in and Higgins to replace him on the bench. 

Realise this is extremely harsh on Geggan who was very good on Saturday but in Smith we’ve got potentially the best RB in the league. 

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the moment,  Ayr have  got what we have experienced in recent years - a real buzz and feel-good factor around their Club.  They should enjoy it as long as it lasts, just as we did.
I'm not getting into any " who is the bigger Club nonsense"  but I think there  are a lot of parallels between the Clubs as we have both had long periods in the doldrums interspersed with periodic ,  relative success.
Somerset is, and always will be, my favourite away ground - probably to do with THAT  Cup-tie n 1976  when we took 2,500 and witnessed heroics from the late, great Allan Ball.
It is a traditional, old fashioned ground like Palmerston and generates a great atmosphere.
Should be a very  entertaining game on Saturday. 

I remember the 5-4 replay but can’t recollect the tie at Somerset, what happened? I know I was there but can’t remember it!

39 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I remember the 5-4 replay but can’t recollect the tie at Somerset, what happened? I know I was there but can’t remember it!

Ayr were 2-0 QOS fought back to make it 2-2. Allan Ball saved a penalty near the end despite having a broken ankle/leg.  What a man. Unsurprisingly Ball didn`t play in the replay. More detail in the link below.

QOS Legend

Ayr were 2-0 QOS fought back to make it 2-2. Allan Ball saved a penalty near the end despite having a broken ankle/leg.  What a man. Unsurprisingly Ball didn`t play in the replay. More detail in the link below.
QOS Legend

I remember now I was only a kid at the time and was really upset at full time.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

QOS Legend

From what I've read/heard about the great man it actually is a surprise he didn't play in the replay!  I bet it took a bit of convincing to get him to sit it out.

16 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

From what I've read/heard about the great man it actually is a surprise he didn't play in the replay!  I bet it took a bit of convincing to get him to sit it out.

Indeed. Even Bally probably couldn`t have played on crutches. He`d have given it a go if allowed to I suspect though. Great guy.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

QOS Legend

From Johnny Graham?

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes it was,

That is the only thing I remember from the game, Ball saving from Graham at the Somerset Road End I think.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

QOS fans were in the other end from memory.

Not sure, I was 10 and something tells me we were overwhelming favourites.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Not sure, I was 10 and something tells me we were overwhelming favourites.

You would certainly have been favourites but we had a decent team at the time. Took a treble winning Rangers team to extra-time over a 2 leg League Cup game earlier in the season , albeit they cuffed us 5-0 at Palmerston in the Scottish Cup QF tie that we had after beating Ayr,

You are a lunatic. Geggan starts.

Geggan is a hero but Smith is by far the one of the best if not the best right back in the league.

There’s no room for sentiment this season. We’ve got to be putting out our strongest 11 every week and unless Geggan starts performing better than Smith or Harvie then he should be on the bench.

25 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

You would certainly have been favourites but we had a decent team at the time. Took a treble winning Rangers team to extra-time over a 2 leg League Cup game earlier in the season , albeit they cuffed us 5-0 at Palmerston in the Scottish Cup QF tie that we had after beating Ayr,

Probably just my own thoughts as a 10 year old watching Ayr against a lower league team.

Geggan is a hero but Smith is by far the one of the best if not the best right back in the league.

There’s no room for sentiment this season. We’ve got to be putting out our strongest 11 every week and unless Geggan starts performing better than Smith or Harvie then he should be on the bench.
He's part of a defence that's conceded two goals, it's hardly sentiment. McCall said himself you can hardly go about changing when they've done nothing wrong. Thinking Higgins could make an appearance Saturday seems more sentimental, with that injury and in front of Bell.

He's part of a defence that's conceded two goals, it's hardly sentiment. McCall said himself you can hardly go about changing when they've done nothing wrong. Thinking Higgins could make an appearance Saturday seems more sentimental, with that injury and in front of Bell.

Nothing sentimental about giving Higgins a cameo off the bench if we’re protecting a lead. Certainly wouldn’t be starting him.

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nothing sentimental about giving Higgins a cameo off the bench if we’re protecting a lead. Certainly wouldn’t be starting him.

Who should Higgins replace on the bench? Presuming Adams starts? 

Archived