Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

1 hour ago, strichener said:

He was previously a party member and resigned from the party whilst the court case was running.  The SNP have no basis to exclude him from joining the party if that is a route he wants to go down (which is what his statement at the time of his resignation indicated he would do).

I can’t imagine that you’re not bright enough to realise that the situation isn’t as simple as that.

Edited by Londonwell

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

I can’t imagine that you’re not bright enough to realise that the situation isn’t as simple as that.

Isn't it?  Perhaps you can enlighten us all with why a previous member of the party who resigned their membership at a time when:

a) they were being improperly investigated by the Scottish Government and

b) was later charged and cleared in a court of law of charges arising from a)

shouldn't be able to rejoin the party. 

It may be inconvenient for the current party leadership but if any of the rumours are true regarding the actions of factions within the SNP then the current leadership may already be untenable.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

Isn't it?  Perhaps you can enlighten us all with why a previous member of the party who resigned their membership at a time when:

a) they were being improperly investigated by the Scottish Government and

b) was later charged and cleared in a court of law of charges arising from a)

shouldn't be able to rejoin the party. 

It may be inconvenient for the current party leadership but if any of the rumours are true regarding the actions of factions within the SNP then the current leadership may already be untenable.

I work for the party so I won’t be getting into anything to do with it I’m afraid. I am sure you are smart enough to read between the lines of what is going on yourself. All the information is out there. 

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

I work for the party so I won’t be getting into anything to do with it I’m afraid. I am sure you are smart enough to read between the lines of what is going on yourself. All the information is out there. 

Fair enough, we'll leave it there Peter. 😁

45 minutes ago, strichener said:

they were being improperly investigated by the Scottish Government

Only the process was found to be improper, I don't think anyone thinks the allegations didn't merit investigation, even though it turned out they didn't meet the level of criminality. Any HR department in any organisation that ignored them would be rightly condemned.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Only the process was found to be improper, I don't think anyone thinks the allegations didn't merit investigation, even though it turned out they didn't meet the level of criminality. Any HR department in any organisation that ignored them would be rightly condemned.

The investigation was found to be conducted improperly.  The weight of merit of the accusations and the right to due process for the accused were both adversely affected by the incompetence of the investigations.

The interesting thing about this episode is that the original complainants appear not to be questioning how such a snafu was allowed to happen nor seeking to ensure that such mistakes cannot be allowed to re-occur and that people are held accountable for this incompetence.  I wonder why this is?

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

The investigation was found to be conducted improperly.  The weight of merit of the accusations and the right to due process for the accused were both adversely affected by the incompetence of the investigations.

The interesting thing about this episode is that the original complainants appear not to be questioning how such a snafu was allowed to happen nor seeking to ensure that such mistakes cannot be allowed to re-occur and that people are held accountable for this incompetence.  I wonder why this is?

Probably because they're more concerned with the facts than procedural and legal arguments.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

In what way?

Having Cherry overthrowing or even seriously challenging Sturgeon in the run up to the Holyrood election would leave them like the Simpsons Dad when he stole the internet. It's got zero chance of happening so it's a bit irrelevant.

If I was looking to take over the party I might align myself with the parts of the party that actively engage with internal party democracy and get their candidates elected at conference rather than the extremely online but then again I'm not a fancy clever lawyer so who knows.

By the looks of it he is looking to make Sturgeon's position untenable - if it isn't already - and then support Joanna Cherry in the leadership contest.

The SNP payroll squealing that Sturgeon's way is the only way to get Indyref2 seems a bit desperate. The Tories aren't granting a referendum and Starmer probably won't either. This is the beginning of a struggle over the SNP's relationship with the UK state. 

Joanna Cherry has more chance of winning the SLab leadership than being SNP leader.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Having Cherry overthrowing or even seriously challenging Sturgeon in the run up to the Holyrood election would leave them like the Simpsons Dad when he stole the internet. It's got zero chance of happening so it's a bit irrelevant.

I still don't get it. Half the activists I know keep claiming Slab can win next year which is lunacy but will be spitefully funny when the vote collapses further.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Craig Murray has been charged with contempt of court for blogs he wrote during the Salmond trial.

I wonder whether any MSM journalists will also be charged.  Those MSM journalists who, in the main, are anti-independence.