Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

52 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ive got to say id find the prospect of Alec Salmond being involved in any indy campaign too distasteful for me to engage with it in any way.

I can fully understand your thinking and I'm sure that thousands would feel the same way

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

He's as hugely divisive as he ever was and to borrow a phrase from football he has taken the team as far as he can take them.

He has no place in the independence  movement going forward.

.......for the cause of independence.....this is just wrong.....very wrong!!!!!

The current management of the snp have no desire to get us their.

It's surely just SNP fanboys who are in denial now.

Edited by git-intae-thum

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 13:00, Jacksgranda said:

And I'm no Salmond/SNP/independence fan boy, although I always thought he was a very able politician.

Agreed entirely. His role in pushing independence from a fringe movement to a serious and credible option is hugely indebted to him.

However, illegal or not, his behaviour was not fitting of a politician and rather than accept that, and the not guilty/not proven verdicts, and slink away he seems hell bent on revenge and is putting his own ego and reputation ahead of all else.

9 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Unless Salmond is delusional then he'll know he's gubbed as far as front line politics is concerned. I expect he'll make some money from a newspaper column or two, the odd TV appearance and after-dinner speaking.

Has he not got his RT gig to go back to?

Alex-Salmond.jpg

Agreed entirely. His role in pushing independence from a fringe movement to a serious and credible option is hugely indebted to him.

However, illegal or not, his behaviour was not fitting of a politician and rather than accept that, and the not guilty/not proven verdicts, and slink away he seems hell bent on revenge and is putting his own ego and reputation ahead of all else.
This will be a big self test of awareness for Alex

This will be a big self test of awareness for Alex

I think we’ve seen that he’s got very little of that. His RT job, for one, has really meant he’s got very little legitimacy as a public figure at this point, from an SNP perspective at any rate. I think Sturgeon will rightly give him a wide berth.

8 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

.......for the cause of independence.....this is just wrong.....very wrong!!!!!

The current management of the snp have no desire to get us their.

It's surely just SNP fanboys who are in denial now.

This post wins the Wings Da paranoia bingo. Mind and call house! 

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Unless Salmond is delusional then he'll know he's gubbed as far as front line politics is concerned. I expect he'll make some money from a newspaper column or two, the odd TV appearance and after-dinner speaking.

The best thing he could do is get all the angry cybernats doing some productive organising and activism instead of shouting at people online. In my experience some of the people who spent their day in Monica Lennon's mentions perpetually foaming at the mouth actually ended up being credits to their local party apparatus once they logged off.

3 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

The party would be idiotic to let him back in given he will clearly only cause trouble and undermine the FM. Elements of the 'movement' will unfortunately have no such qualms and will think they can use his profile for their own ends. There are obviously differences but the parallels with Sheridan in terms of someone who is willing to undermine the cause he did so much for in order to support his own ego are striking.

On what basis would the party be able to exclude him?  I think the FM is already undermined in this whole episode and the reason why we won't see any inquiry being pushed by the Government.

If Salmond has anything showing that the SNP organisation were complicit in any of this episode then he is well within his rights to seek to have this exposed.  Doing so is nothing to do with ego or "undermining the cause" but seeking the public exposure of behaviour that should not be tolerated regardless of the "cause".  

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, strichener said:

On what basis would the party be able to exclude him?  I think the FM is already undermined in this whole episode and the reason why we won't see any inquiry being pushed by the Government.

If Salmond has anything showing that the SNP organisation were complicit in any of this episode then he is well within his rights to seek to have this exposed.  Doing so is nothing to do with ego or "undermining the cause" but seeking the public exposure of behaviour that should not be tolerated regardless of the "cause".  

He’s not a member of the party so they don’t need to exclude him. 

As a public figure, what he does off his own back is of course up to him and no-one in or out of the SNP will tell him otherwise, I’m sure. 

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Probably not for the Sunday Herald, though.

By the looks of it he is looking to make Sturgeon's position untenable - if it isn't already - and then support Joanna Cherry in the leadership contest.

The SNP payroll squealing that Sturgeon's way is the only way to get Indyref2 seems a bit desperate. The Tories aren't granting a referendum and Starmer probably won't either. This is the beginning of a struggle over the SNP's relationship with the UK state. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

He’s not a member of the party so they don’t need to exclude him. 

As a public figure, what he does off his own back is of course up to him and no-one in or out of the SNP will tell him otherwise, I’m sure. 

He was previously a party member and resigned from the party whilst the court case was running.  The SNP have no basis to exclude him from joining the party if that is a route he wants to go down (which is what his statement at the time of his resignation indicated he would do).

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

By the looks of it he is looking to make Sturgeon's position untenable - if it isn't already - and then support Joanna Cherry in the leadership contest.

SLAB's wet dream.

Edited by welshbairn