Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

39 minutes ago, renton said:

I don't think so, and it's probably not the thread for it. Sturgeon has gone out of her way to play this with a straight bat, there is literally nothing in the public domain or even implied to date to connect her, or her government to the actions that Salmond is accused of. The movement, such as it is grew way beyond Salmond some time ago. While irony of ironies, as Mixufixit has already pointed out, Salmond's scalping in the last election destroyed whatever political capital he still had. The press will love this, but it's not like the press was going to go in and bat for Yes next time anyway. 

This.

It will have a negligible effect. If Richard Leonard or Ruth davidson was caught doing similar, no-one would even mention the end of the unionist movement.

I find it interesting that you seem more offended by songs and banners rather than the depraved acts themselves. Says a lot about you.
You're just trolling now. My first post on this thread stated that if he's guilty he deserves to go away for a long time. But don't let me interrupt you, go get your crayons and make your wee banners and compose a wee ditty or two

12 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'm more concerned by those ones you mention actually. It's already been covered though that these people do more harm than good. Idiots slagging the SNP and Salmond on this ultimately won't make much difference.

Hopefully it won't make any difference at all. As far as I'm concerned Salmond in an ex-MP, an ex-MSP, a former FM and is now not even a member of the SNP. The party simply has to put this behind them and move on. I'm firmly of the opinion the party is currently in good hands.

Salmond did a lot for the SNP over many years, but they needn't become a slave to that. Nicola Sturgeon is certainly making her mark as FM, and there is plenty of talent in evidence on the SNP benches at Westminster.

Whether Salmond is found guilty on any of these charges or not, sadly his political career is now at an end.

What will damage the independence movement will be arseholes loudly proclaiming this to be a plot and conspiracy the entire time. The media will have a field day giving as much attention as possible to the cyberda contingent and making the argument that the Yes campaign is willing to prioritise the reputation an already irrelevant man over the safety and consideration of women. Regardless of whether he deserves people’s support, Salmond clearly doesn’t require your support.

You can see why Sturgeon distanced herself from Salmond. That's a horrendous charge sheet at this stage in the proceedings.
The so called "spat" between Sturgeon and Salmond has probably done her a favour if the worst comes to the worst.  
The Yes movement is bigger than Salmond and Sturgeon too for that matter. The press will have a field day of course, but lets face it if you vote SNP your not going to suddenly go back to voting for Unionist parties because of this happening. 
Let the courts decide whether Alex id guilty or innocent and we'll get on with independence

Absolutely. I'm not and never will be an SNP member. I believe in Scottish independence as the best way forward for our country. It's bigger than any one person. Something unionists don't understand at all

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What will damage the independence movement will be arseholes loudly proclaiming this to be a plot and conspiracy the entire time. The media will have a field day giving as much attention as possible to the cyberda contingent and making the argument that the Yes campaign is willing to prioritise the reputation an already irrelevant man over the safety and consideration of women. Regardless of whether he deserves people’s support, Salmond clearly doesn’t require your support.

Absolutely this.

The amount of absolute simpletons who have taken to social media already to decry this as a stitch up is depressing.

I had members from my local branch into my office earlier, people whom I respect, saying the same. Presumably they must think that the SNP has been infiltrated by female Westminster moles just to discredit a former first Minister, amazing. 

Edited by Londonwell

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

f**k off, Willy and away and punch some horses.

The Separatist case was put before the sensible electorate of Scotland over 4 years ago and found wanting.  If Unionists now want to make political capital out of this then they are fucked.

The YES movement is bigger than the SNP kinky,it's going to take more than a couple of horses to stop it,Bruce and the spider for inspiration.
Salmond is a big fish but there is plenty more.

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Hopefully it won't make any difference at all. As far as I'm concerned Salmond in an ex-MP, an ex-MSP, a former FM and is now not even a member of the SNP. The party simply has to put this behind them and move on. I'm firmly of the opinion the party is currently in good hands.

Salmond did a lot for the SNP over many years, but they needn't become a slave to that. Nicola Sturgeon is certainly making her mark as FM, and there is plenty of talent in evidence on the SNP benches at Westminster.

Whether Salmond is found guilty on any of these charges or not, sadly his political career is now at an end.

So if it turns out that there is no merit to these allegations he should still suffer the consequences?

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is there any indication of the number of women that these charges relate to?

Don't think so. We probably won't hear anymore till the trial which could be many months away. 

1 hour ago, Billy Rubin said:

Of course nobody knows at this stage whether to believe Alex Salmond or the complainants but why would Alex Salmond - only months before a vote that was basically his life's work -  jeopardize everything my attempting to rape a collection of women ?  

Why would anyone do it?

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So if it turns out that there is no merit to these allegations he should still suffer the consequences?

Yes, unfortunately, whether you and I like it or not,  his career will forever be tainted with these allegations.

You must surely have noticed the number of cretins coming on here this afternoon describing him as scum, and all the rest.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That's not even been implied, let alone said.

EDIT: Holy f**k, the guy actually said yes. :lol: I'm going to give Johnny the benefit of the doubt here, and assume he doesn't mean Salmond SHOULD suffer the consequences.

Edited by Principal Flutie

Exactly. And it’s creeping into this thread already.

The weirdo Cybernats are going to have a field day, flinging their misogynistic crap at the walls of Westminster and Fleet Street’s finest.

And those people, while not necessarily doing much to dissuade people from the yes movement (although i suppose that’s possible), certainly push folk away from the SNP and the grassroots movement.

So, another day, another political firestorm.  Unless any has anything factual to add to what has been announced today I suggest we all get back to the clear and present danger that is Brexit, in any of its manifestations.

Because as sure as night follows day, whatever is the outcome of the charges now brought before Alex Salmond, they are highly unlikely to threaten my grand-daughters' life chances.  Keep focused on the immediate task in hand, and let the QC's sort it out.