Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

21 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

At the risk of making a parochial comparison, Salmond is beginning to act like Stevie Aitken; his time was up and everyone else has moved on save for himself.

And like Aitken, he is rapidly burning through what goodwill and respect remained. I honestly doubt whether this stuff will affect the SNP vote by any more than a few hundred.

Much to his credit I thought, the first thing Salmond did when this came to light was to resign from the party. That should have been enough to minimise any serious or lasting damage -  unfortunately the tories, not surprisingly, are going to make this it all as uncomfortable for Nicola as they possibly can. She didn't handle last Thursday's FMQ's very well.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

At the risk of making a parochial comparison, Salmond is beginning to act like Stevie Aitken; his time was up and everyone else has moved on save for himself.

And like Aitken, he is rapidly burning through what goodwill and respect remained. I honestly doubt whether this stuff will affect the SNP vote by any more than a few hundred.

#AlexSalmondTacticalGenius

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If I had been falsely accused (as he asserts) of sexual assault and subject to a stitch up then I don’t think I’d be taking one for the team either....

There's a police investigation ongoing that will hopefully come to a conclusion either way. The Government HR process was botched, but I doubt very much it was a conspiracy against an ex-MP and part-time cable TV presenter. Nobody would gain.

I agree, I've thought from Day One that there are parallels with the anti-Semitism smears on the Labour party. It is incredibly easy to take some basic facts and then embroider them to suit an agenda.

As evidence I would cite the recent apocalyptic headlines about civil war and rampant factionalism within the SNP - these are a lot easier to print than to prove and justify. No matter, the story is off and running.

And you know what ? Outwith anoraks like us, who the flying f**k really cares about the minutae of esoteric points of ministerial and civil service conduct ? Two women have made a complaint about the alleged conduct of Alex Salmond; fine, let the investigation be vigorous and thorough, but don't try and portray a complaint as a contagion.
This.

Your average voter couldn't give a flying f**k.

The SNP are reaching 12 years of being in government. I always think that when someone has been so entrenched in the furniture for that long, shit starts to stick and it's generally not the sort of things that people anticipate that can have really dramatic effects and damage a party.

Sex sells and people love feuds like this. I think that the party will be OK with such a shit opposition and a big constitutional issue but I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up becoming a bigger thing than people anticipate.

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

The SNP are reaching 12 years of being in government. I always think that when someone has been so entrenched in the furniture for that long, shit starts to stick and it's generally not the sort of things that people anticipate that can have really dramatic effects and damage a party.

Sex sells and people love feuds like this. I think that the party will be OK with such a shit opposition and a big constitutional issue but I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up becoming a bigger thing than people anticipate.

With the way the media behaves in this country. Having the facts of the matter twisted and blown way out of proportion is exactly what we anticipate.

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm thinking more of Jim Sillars. A man consumed by personal bitterness, holding bizarre grudges for more than 20 years. A boon to the anti-SNP media with his off-the-cuff criticisms of pretty much everything the SNP does.

It's very sad seeing someone as influential as Alex Salmond moving into that same territory. But like Sillars, Salmond's ego won't allow him to rest in peace.

Actually, Salmond's ego outstrips that of Sillars by around 1000%. And unlike Sillars,  he still has the potential and power to cause significant damage to the SNP and the independence movement, if he so wished.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Just heard that there will now be a parliamentary enquiry into how the government has handled the Salmond situation which will ensure that this saga will run and run. It's certainly not now going to be quickly swept aside and forgotten. 

Not good for Nicola - especially at a time when she could, or should be preparing for the next GE

Edited by ICTJohnboy

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just heard that there will now be a parliamentary enquiry into how the government has handled the Salmond situation which will ensure that this saga will run and run. It's certainly not now going to be quickly swept aside and forgotten. 

Not good for Nicola - especially at a time when she could, or should be preparing for the next GE

No it isn't and it's all by design. It will drag on and on until just after the general election, when the SNP will have been found to have behaved appropriately throughout the process, despite the MSM propaganda suggesting otherwise leading up to the general election.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Can't help thinking that the police investigations, having begun last Autumn, are taking an inordinately long time to reach a conclusion.

It will reach it's conclusion.

After the next general election.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Why would he have been arrested now? 

There's been a police investigation ongoing about this the entire time has there not? Separate from the Scottish Government case.

ETA - STV have changed their headline a bit from Mackays tweet, he's due to appear in court just not in custody

https://stv.tv/news/politics/1434895-former-first-minister-alex-salmond-arrested-by-police/ 

Edited by Big Fifer