games you'd like to see

Herman Hessian

i've been fortunate enough to see some deeply amusing games in my time but there are still some encounters that i think may be more amusing than anything i've yet encountered: how's about listing the "ones you'd like to watch" - i can imagine that roma v lazio can be a bit lively, but i think that feyenoord v ajax would be the one to go to for some proper full-on enmity and real fear and loathing...

20 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

but i think that feyenoord v ajax would be the one to go to for some proper full-on enmity and real fear and loathing...

aren't away fans banned from that,though,which would make it a bit of a damp squib in my opinion

id like to go to milan-inter, marseill-psg, benfica-sporting, wisla Krakow-cracovia, levski-cska, fenerbahce-galatasary and independiente-racing(in fact, any south American derby I could manage if I was there)

Boca Juniors vs River Plate.

The atmosphere would be amazing and La Bombonera looks like an insane stadium for regular games but for this; f**k! Google photos of what it's like behind the goals up the back. At the sides there's a tiny wee fence to stop you from plummeting to death.

Boca river the one that springs to mind for me also. Lucky enough to have attended a barca madrid, paid a fortune for ticket (offset by a fortune won on pique fgs that game) but was in with “ultras” behind goals and flags waving the whole time did my head in, found myself grabbing them to stop them blocking the view. Didnt go down particularly well

2 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

but was in with “ultras” behind goals and flags waving the whole time did my head in, found myself grabbing them to stop them blocking the view. Didnt go down particularly well

no I wouldn't have thought so

off to Poland next week,read an article about slask Wroclaw ultras and their "rules" for attending in their end-pretty strict stuff.ill just sit with the normal folks I think,been in with ultras in Poland before and it was nerve wracking

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2018 at 22:55, DA Baracus said:

Boca Juniors vs River Plate.

The atmosphere would be amazing and La Bombonera looks like an insane stadium for regular games but for this; f**k! Google photos of what it's like behind the goals up the back. At the sides there's a tiny wee fence to stop you from plummeting to death.

La Bonbonera is absolutely mental. I was at Boca v Racing and i've never seen anything like it. I went to River v Boca and it wasn't quite as crazy for a couple of reasons. 1 there was no away fans and 2 the stadium is more open than La Bonbonera.  I think away fans are slowly being allowed back which will make it even better.

1 hour ago, Currahee! said:

La Bonbonera is absolutely mental. I was at Boca v Racing and i've never seen anything like it. I went to River v Boca and it wasn't quite as crazy for a couple of reasons. 1 there was no away fans and 2 the stadium is more open than La Bonbonera.  I think away fans are slowly being allowed back which will make it even better.

How easy was getting a ticket?

I sorted it all through my hotel when i went cost about 50 usd all in for me.That was for game at the chocolate box.Behind the goals is really scary though they dont take kindly to outsiders as they all stand in the same spot at every home game.I ended up being shuffled to the side and back

7 hours ago, doulikefish said:

I sorted it all through my hotel when i went cost about 50 usd all in for me.That was for game at the chocolate box.Behind the goals is really scary though they dont take kindly to outsiders as they all stand in the same spot at every home game.I ended up being shuffled to the side and back

Have heard that a few times, know a Liverpool lad who went to watch Boca and he had a really tough time. Said he had little to no enjoyment as he felt on edge for most of the game.

Lazio V Roma is very good, however because one side always seems to be protesting about something at the moment, the atmosphere seems to suffer a bit. Lazio have some incredible displays though. Was lucky enough to go into hills after a game last year and saw the surfer flags in their initial stage for derby. It was a full four months away. 

Best one I have ever done is still and I doubt will ever be beaten, West Ham V Millwall 2009 Carling Cup. Have never felt an atmosphere like that before. 

9 hours ago, doulikefish said:
20 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I was behind the goals and never felt uneasy at all. I went with my girlfriend too. We were told not to go into section 12 though as it can be dangerous there.

Boca v River is the popular choice, but for an Argie game I quite fancy the Avellaneda derby (Racing v Independiente). El Cilindro looks absolutely class; somehow managing to be a big bowl stadium that's right on top of the pitch.

Red Star v Partizan is the one I'd like to see in Europe, I think. Galatasaray v Fenerbahce another obvious one if they started letting away fans go again.

A left-field shout could be PAOK v Aris at Toumba this year. Aris are just back in the top flight after 5 years away, and the Thessaloniki teams tend to have a bit more of a rabid support than the big Athens clubs. That one should be pretty special.

Just remembered there was 4 searches before we got into la Bombonera too. Police and army and that was with no away fans. Quite strict there. There was only 1 for River v Boca and it was quite timid compared to the brutal searches at Boca. All worth it though.

Archived