Things that make you cringe

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

However, even if my job was actually important and demanding I certainly wouldn’t be spending time working at home, for free. I’d do what I needed to at work. Otherwise your work encroaches in to your personal life, and really it just erodes the time you have to yourself. In my view we work far too much anyway, so f**k giving any more time up to that. There’s absolutely nothing smart about that.

Important and demanding jobs by definition don't come by the 35 hour work week, squire. Some other c**t can and will put in the extra effort to prove the case that they are more valuable and capable than the rest.

Effort in, results out.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

"how's your monday?" followed by beach and a cocktail picture.

Last summer we discovered that by coincidence, we had scheduled the same day off as another couple we know. We ended up having a very pleasant day out with them up in the mountains. It wasn't until we got home that I discovered the wumman from the other couple had taken a photo of us eating lunch outside and had tagged us all on Facebook with the caption

"Oh, just a lunch meeting. How's your Monday going?"

Part of me died inside. 

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I have zero need to do any of that since I have a shit, boring admin job. It requires absolutely zero forward planning. I just come in, answer some emails, update some spreadsheets and try to pad out the day as much as possible. And yes, I am taking steps to remedy that.

However, even if my job was actually important and demanding I certainly wouldn’t be spending time working at home, for free. I’d do what I needed to at work. Otherwise your work encroaches in to your personal life, and really it just erodes the time you have to yourself. In my view we work far too much anyway, so f**k giving any more time up to that. There’s absolutely nothing smart about that.

Easy to say when you don't have that kind of job.

Friday at 5.30 pm. You have an hour left of work to complete. You are dead on your feet and can't think straight. You can either (a) not complete the task, get a bollocking, lose the trust of your colleagues, and if it happens a few times no longer be asked to do the same sort of work again and then be quietly shuffled out into a "a shit, boring admin job", or (b) go home. Put your feet up. Watch a film with the missus. Have a curry. Get an early night. Wake up before she does in the morning and polish off that last hour with a coffee. Bit of a simplification but do you see the point?

When you obtain the sort of career you are taking steps to get, I believe you will then understand.

FWIW - I no longer do more than I need to. 9.30 to 5.30 for me. Poor man management have left me completely demoralised and there's little incentive for me to work hard in this role.  Were I to move elsewhere then there could be the possibility of earning high five figures within 1-2 years, but only if I impress them. Damn right I'll be putting in the extra work. I want the £s.

5 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If getting paid then of course it’s perfectly acceptable, that’s just overtime. But the idea of doing it for free I find crazy. If that was me, maybe once or twice I’d accept opening the laptop at home at doing some work, but if they expect me to come in and give up a day I’ve taken off then they can pay me for it.

To be honest, in a general sense without aiming at you directly, I am perfectly happy to let these people crack on and work during weekends and holidays. Doesn’t affect me as I enjoy my time off whilst they do the work :lol:

Think this is the point where roads started to diverge. A lot of professional jobs pay on the basis of a salary. Afaik, that means you get your salary to achieve your objectives, however long it takes. No overtime. So you are being paid for going in on your day off, it just doesn't feel like it.

Apologies for the double post.

11 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Think this is the point where roads started to diverge. A lot of professional jobs pay on the basis of a salary. Afaik, that means you get your salary to achieve your objectives, however long it takes. No overtime. So you are being paid for going in on your day off, it just doesn't feel like it.

I have set working hours, but have an annual salary.

Times when I'm not busy I can't just go home. I have to sit here wasting my time until the end of the shift. So if I ever had a really busy time when I didn't get everything done in a day, would I f**k be staying.

All of this suggests to me that it is okay if it works both ways.
Do the extra hours if the work requires demands it but also go home early if the work is all done.

My boss is really understanding on all this.
Everything done - take the rest of the day off.
Pretty quiet today - okay, take the whole day off.

It's great being self-employed.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

It's no wonder you're always moaning about your personal life being such a shambles if you can't see the logic in spending a couple of hours getting ahead and organised thus making your work time easier and in most cases, less busy.

It's called working smart.

It's also called getting rid of the stress.

There's nothing worse than working to a deadline with people waiting on your figures/calculations.

I always liked to have a job priced - and arithmetically checked - 24 hours before tender time. This gave me a night to sleep on it and plenty of time for any tweeks/adjustments - if required - in the morning. If that meant me bringing it home the night before, so be it.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Yeah, my job is an annual salary to meet the objectives of the job regardless of the time. The problem being that the industry/management are a bit old school in that if I come in at 7am and leave at 7pm I will get nothing extra, but if the following day I come in at 10am and leave at 3pm I would be getting asked questions. So whilst I’ll do the work that needs done, and as I’ve said before when under pressure to hit a deadline, I would do a couple of hours at home maybe, I will always power through all my work during work hours as I’m efficient and don’t want to waste my personal time working.

Essentially if you’re having to work consistently more than your working hours, either you’re inefficient and shite at your job and should be replaced, or the work is too much for 1 employee and you should be putting the case forward to management to employ support.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Last summer we discovered that by coincidence, we had scheduled the same day off as another couple we know. We ended up having a very pleasant day out with them up in the mountains. It wasn't until we got home that I discovered the wumman from the other couple had taken a photo of us eating lunch outside and had tagged us all on Facebook with the caption

"Oh, just a lunch meeting. How's your Monday going?"

Part of me died inside. 

NSFW forum for that sort of chat...

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah, my job is an annual salary to meet the objectives of the job regardless of the time. The problem being that the industry/management are a bit old school in that if I come in at 7am and leave at 7pm I will get nothing extra, but if the following day I come in at 10am and leave at 3pm I would be getting asked questions. So whilst I’ll do the work that needs done, and as I’ve said before when under pressure to hit a deadline, I would do a couple of hours at home maybe, I will always power through all my work during work hours as I’m efficient and don’t want to waste my personal time working.

Essentially if you’re having to work consistently more than your working hours, either you’re inefficient and shite at your job and should be replaced, or the work is too much for 1 employee and you should be putting the case forward to management to employ support.

Agreed. I've done work at home occasionally when really busy, deadlines to hit, or for convenience (childcare issues etc) but I wouldn't do work at home just to make myself less busy at work. Mental. 

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Agreed. I've done work at home occasionally when really busy, deadlines to hit, or for convenience (childcare issues etc) but I wouldn't do work at home just to make myself less busy at work. Mental. 

My initial comment about people coming in on days off/coming in early and staying late was directed more towards those people (all workplaces have at least 1) who do so solely to look busier than they actually are. They’ll spend huge chunks of the day fannying around and chatting to people, then stay until 7pm and blubbering on about how busy they are and how they can “never get away on time”. You’re not hardworking, and if you weren’t so lazy and shit during your scheduled hours you’d probably be able to leave early if anything. 

I do occasionally work from home in the evenings during busy times, but I always make sure I send a text to my boss saying I’ve been online for X hours and will get paid overtime for it. I would never, ever dream of logging on to do work for nothing.

A girl wanted me to run a job that would only take twenty mins max to do, when I was off on annual leave earlier this summer. Given I couldn’t claim less than an hour in OT, I gave someone else the instructions to run the job and send on to her.

3 hours ago, sjc said:

Not sure you can call all people that do work from home out of hours a "mug" tbh. Sometimes it's common sense doing so.

Back in my site engineering days I recall occasionally taking drawings home in order to coordinate the setting out positions to stay far enough ahead of the joiners & steel fixers. It usually paid dividends as I'd always be far enough ahead of the men and able to enjoy a coffee whilst leisurely coordinating the rest of the job in work time with having the pressure of having men & machinery at great expense waiting on me frantically doing calculations and then setting out!

If anything, it allowed me far more "free time" in work than the couple of hours spent at home getting organised. Who's the mug?!

You

3 hours ago, sjc said:

It's no wonder you're always moaning about your personal life being such a shambles if you can't see the logic in spending a couple of hours getting ahead and organised thus making your work time easier and in most cases, less busy.

It's called working smart.

Working for free is not smart champ

8 hours ago, Fullerene said:

People who use the word "power" to describe what they do.

"I'm off to a power breakfast in the morning, followed by a power meeting on the other side of town, followed by a power nap in the afternoon because I have a power dinner to go to".

^^^ Lee Power found

5b85ce05a91a2_leepower.jpg.1435fd499e4ddebe929e5149b19d1845.jpg

I thought he was just an obscure shite Jim Duffy signing but it turns out he's now Chairman of Swindon Town. 

Archived