Things that make you cringe

3 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Honest Man sucks up to his boss on Facebook. I’ve been known to go in to work on time off to get shit done.
The bit about honest man may not be true.

Absolute mug behaviour. 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If getting paid then of course it’s perfectly acceptable, that’s just overtime. But the idea of doing it for free I find crazy. If that was me, maybe once or twice I’d accept opening the laptop at home at doing some work, but if they expect me to come in and give up a day I’ve taken off then they can pay me for it.

To be honest, in a general sense without aiming at you directly, I am perfectly happy to let these people crack on and work during weekends and holidays. Doesn’t affect me as I enjoy my time off whilst they do the work :lol:

Even that is mug behaviour. 

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

I can work from home on the laptop but it’s a pain in the arse some of the stuff I need to do on a stupid wee screen and I’m only 5 minutes away...
Saying that, there’s no chance I’m giving up the whole day. I’m talking about being in for an hour or two at most, doing what needs done and then away again.

Nah, still total mug behaviour.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At my pals wedding his sister sang a speech to the tune of Happy by Pharell Williams, but had hilariously changed the words to tie in with his life. Obviously nobody else knew the words so couldn't sing along to ease the pressure of her. It was the longest three minutes of my life.

Nah, still total mug behaviour.

Not everyone has the same work ethic, that’s okay though...
“Mug behaviour” maybe but I prefer to know stuff has been done and it’s not a total shit show on my return. I reckon there’s more folk here that think and act similarly but it’s not cool to admit it or whatever.

At my pals wedding his sister sang a speech to the tune of Happy by Pharell Williams, but had hilariously changed the words to tie in with his life. Obviously nobody else knew the words so couldn't sing along to ease the pressure of her. It was the longest three minutes of my life.
I'll give you ten green dots if you can provide a video of this.

8 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

“Mug behaviour” maybe but I prefer to know stuff has been done and it’s not a total shit show on my return. I reckon there’s more folk here that think and act similarly but it’s not cool to admit it or whatever.

I genuinely don't care if I'm seen to have a 'lazy' work ethic. I do what I have to and if it isn't finished by the end of the day, tough. I will have a very good work ethic for something that's important. Work is not important though, so deserves only the minimum effort. Even it were important, I certainly wouldn't be doing it for nothing at the expense of my own time, and I don't even have a family.

Why should I give a single f**k about work outside of work hours? It already takes up way too much of my time, so there is zero chance I'd give any more over to it for free.

I personally would agree that it's not cool to admit you're a mug.

I genuinely don't care if I'm seen to have a 'lazy' work ethic. I do what I have to and if it isn't finished by the end of the day, tough. I will have a very good work ethic for something that's important. Work is not important though, so deserves only the minimum effort. Even it were important, I certainly wouldn't be doing it for nothing at the expense of my own time, and I don't even have a family.
Why should I give a single f**k about work outside of work hours? It already takes up way too much of my time, so there is zero chance I'd give any more over to it for free.

Aye, work only keeps a roof over our heads and a pint in our hands...just f**k it off all together. I give a f**k about work outside of working hours because I like those working hours to be as straightforward as possible. I completely agree it takes up too much of our time though. Our working week should be 4 days a week. You’ve made that quite clear, I’m okay with it.

On 26/08/2018 at 20:04, peasy23 said:

On the subject of retiral presentations, I've been at one that turned out to be hilarious. After the senior manager had made a speech (obviously with next to no knowledge about the guy who was finishing up after 43 years), the retiree then launched into a tirade against said manager and all the other supervisors that were there. He went through them all one by one, sharing his thoughts about their individual talents and abilities, or lack of. Really wish someone had filmed it.

59 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure you can call all people that do work from home out of hours a "mug" tbh. Sometimes it's common sense doing so.

Back in my site engineering days I recall occasionally taking drawings home in order to coordinate the setting out positions to stay far enough ahead of the joiners & steel fixers. It usually paid dividends as I'd always be far enough ahead of the men and able to enjoy a coffee whilst leisurely coordinating the rest of the job in work time with having the pressure of having men & machinery at great expense waiting on me frantically doing calculations and then setting out!

If anything, it allowed me far more "free time" in work than the couple of hours spent at home getting organised. Who's the mug?!

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

Not sure you can call all people that do work from home out of hours a "mug" tbh. Sometimes it's common sense doing so.

Back in my site engineering days I recall occasionally taking drawings home in order to coordinate the setting out positions to stay far enough ahead of the joiners & steel fixers. It usually paid dividends as I'd always be far enough ahead of the men and able to enjoy a coffee whilst leisurely coordinating the rest of the job in work time with having the pressure of having men & machinery at great expense waiting on me frantically doing calculations and then setting out!

If anything, it allowed me far more "free time" in work than the couple of hours spent at home getting organised. Who's the mug?!

You

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

You

It's no wonder you're always moaning about your personal life being such a shambles if you can't see the logic in spending a couple of hours getting ahead and organised thus making your work time easier and in most cases, less busy.

It's called working smart.

People who show their strong work ethnic by turning up for work wearing jeans to indicate that it is their day off.

"Sorry, I'm not wearing a shirt and tie today but it is my day off."
They then proceed to work the same hours doing the same work as they normally do.

Truly sad people IMO

People who use the word "power" to describe what they do.

"I'm off to a power breakfast in the morning, followed by a power meeting on the other side of town, followed by a power nap in the afternoon because I have a power dinner to go to".

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

It's no wonder you're always moaning about your personal life being such a shambles if you can't see the logic in spending a couple of hours getting ahead and organised thus making your work time easier and in most cases, less busy.

Why would you want to sacrifice home and family time to make yourself less busy at work? Surely being busy at work makes the day pass quicker, and gives you peace at home to spend time with your family? Working at home to make yourself less busy at work seems very strange to me indeed.

28 minutes ago, sjc said:

Why didn't you use the free time at work to prepare for the next day?

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Why would you want to sacrifice home and family time to make yourself less busy at work? Surely being busy at work makes the day pass quicker, and gives you peace at home to spend time with your family? Working at home to make yourself less busy at work seems very strange to me indeed.

You're misreading what I said, I would do this at the start of a new job so I had just enough information to be far enough ahead of the men on site and then could leisurely maintain being ahead in work time as opposed to continuously chasing my tail.

I'd only need to do the work in home time (for a couple of hours) once. After that, the game was mine......to quote Begbie.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Why didn't you use the free time at work to prepare for the next day?

See my reply to Rugster. Plus, I was a freelancer, so wasn't always in right at the start of a new job.

23 minutes ago, sjc said:

I have zero need to do any of that since I have a shit, boring admin job. It requires absolutely zero forward planning. I just come in, answer some emails, update some spreadsheets and try to pad out the day as much as possible. And yes, I am taking steps to remedy that.

However, even if my job was actually important and demanding I certainly wouldn’t be spending time working at home, for free. I’d do what I needed to at work. Otherwise your work encroaches in to your personal life, and really it just erodes the time you have to yourself. In my view we work far too much anyway, so f**k giving any more time up to that. There’s absolutely nothing smart about that.

My work personal life isn’t a shambles because of my job though.

Anything I care about and like I put plenty of effort in to.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I have zero need to do any of that since I have a shit, boring admin job. It requires absolutely zero forward planning. I just come in, answer some emails, update some spreadsheets and try to pad out the day as much as possible. And yes, I am taking steps to remedy that.

However, even if my job was actually important and demanding I certainly wouldn’t be spending time working at home, for free. I’d do what I needed to at work. Otherwise your work encroaches in to your personal life, and really it just erodes the time you have to yourself. In my view we work far too much anyway, so f**k giving any more time up to that. There’s absolutely nothing smart about that.

My work personal life isn’t a shambles because of my job though.

Anything I care about and like I put plenty of effort in to.

I understand that you don't have a job that requires the need for doing this, which is fair enough, but surely you understand and appreciate the logic in people in careers such as my old one that do?

I could count the number of jobs I had to do this on one hand in the 20 years I was in the industry and on each occasion it was 1 day for a couple of hours. If I was having to do this every weekend or more often then I'd definitely feel like a mug and probably questioning my suitability for such a career!

Archived