Things that make you cringe

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but women who call their dogs furbabies, and call themselves their dogs mum. 

Makes me seethe. 

I can't remember if it was on here or on my own Facebook but I saw a pregnant lady post a picture of her wee dog sitting on her bump with the caption 'Big sister duties' or such like.  Awful.

On 8/28/2018 at 09:35, accies1874 said:

Utterly dreadful. See also:

"I'm a Rangers fan but even I think this is wrong" in response to something that is clearly bad no matter what team you support, and...

"Rivalry goes out the window in times like this". 

They're usually followed by some no-mark with a club badge as their profile picture saying "Respect" with the clapping emojis. 

On 28/08/2018 at 17:38, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah, my job is an annual salary to meet the objectives of the job regardless of the time. The problem being that the industry/management are a bit old school in that if I come in at 7am and leave at 7pm I will get nothing extra, but if the following day I come in at 10am and leave at 3pm I would be getting asked questions. So whilst I’ll do the work that needs done, and as I’ve said before when under pressure to hit a deadline, I would do a couple of hours at home maybe, I will always power through all my work during work hours as I’m efficient and don’t want to waste my personal time working.

Essentially if you’re having to work consistently more than your working hours, either you’re inefficient and shite at your job and should be replaced, or the work is too much for 1 employee and you should be putting the case forward to management to employ support.

My workplace is odd in that most departments have flexi but ours doesn’t. So if you come in one minute late and leave twenty minutes after finishing to complete something it goes unnoticed but if you come in twenty minutes early and f**k about then leave on the dot that’s fine. I feel like I’m alienating myself and exposing the needless overtime culture by being conscientious and hardworking. I just like to finish jobs at the end of the day and go home stress free and start again if possible. You would think this would be appreciated but some colleagues can’t afford their lifestyle so expect constant overtime whether it’s justified or not. Sometimes I work weekends but I’ve came in to see people sleeping throwing paper aeroplanes etc and think f**k it I’m not stealing money off my employer or keeping others out of a job but some of the greedy fuckers hate me for working hard and tell me to slow down. I’ve worked seven days for over two years and it’s just not worth it, sitting about clock watching for no reason other than money. Utterly soul destroying.

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

The chap is asking if he should hope the supporters are OK.
He's not sure.

It's the whole 'despite the rivalry' (which isn't a particularly bitter one anyway).  I don't *really* think the rivalry should come into your mind when some people on the bus could've been seriously hurt.

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The chap is asking if he should hope the supporters are OK.
He's not sure.

Tbf fair I think he was clumsily hoping and asking if everyone was ok. The bird on the back of the motorbike they hit certainly isn't.

Often bump in to an old colleague who finishes every chance encounter by saying that she'll pop back in to the work to see everyone. 

We both know that she doesn't mean it and I cringe even before it's said knowing that it's an inevitable conclusion to our meeting. 

Nice lassie but I wish she wouldn't bother with that charade every single time. 

40 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Often bump in to an old colleague who finishes every chance encounter by saying that she'll pop back in to the work to see everyone. 

We both know that she doesn't mean it and I cringe even before it's said knowing that it's an inevitable conclusion to our meeting. 

Nice lassie but I wish she wouldn't bother with that charade every single time. 

On that note - it's cringey as f**k when someone who has left the company 'does' pop back in to see everyone. You've left, we've moved on, nobody's interested in making small talk with you. f**k off.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

On that note - it's cringey as f**k when someone who has left the company 'does' pop back in to see everyone. You've left, we've moved on, nobody's interested in making small talk with you. f**k off.

Aye, that too. 

Probably expecting to be warmly welcomed back like some kind of legend. 

Reality is, naebody could care less. 

The stuff about folk on a salary working extra hours to get stuff down is a load of pish.

You’re just encouraging employers to take the piss. You’re normalising that sort of behaviour and creating the expectation. Basically you’re allowing yourself to be underpaid by doing more hours than you get money for, and letting the employers reap the benefit of your extra (unpaid) efforts. You’re creating a culture where working past your normal hours is seen as the thing to do, and it will create pressure on others to do the same. It turns in to a race to see who the biggest mug is.

Also the mantra ‘you get out what you put in’ is bollocks as well. Quite clearly you don’t. You might get thanked by a manager or other colleagues for doing extra (unpaid) work, but you don’t anything from it. You might think you’re being some sort of company man who has a strong work ethic (mug), but almost certainly the company itself won’t give a shit other than the aforementioned manager thanking you.

As mentioned, you might think you’re making your work easier by working longer, but then you really should be asking why you need to do so in the first place.

Really you’re just living to work, and what’s the point in making the money when you’ll just be sat working all the time anyway.

You’re a mug and you need to cut it out.

The stuff about folk on a salary working extra hours to get stuff down is a load of pish.

You’re just encouraging employers to take the piss. You’re normalising that sort of behaviour and creating the expectation. Basically you’re allowing yourself to be underpaid by doing more hours than you get money for, and letting the employers reap the benefit of your extra (unpaid) efforts. You’re creating a culture where working past your normal hours is seen as the thing to do, and it will create pressure on others to do the same. It turns in to a race to see who the biggest mug is.

Also the mantra ‘you get out what you put in’ is bollocks as well. Quite clearly you don’t. You might get thanked by a manager or other colleagues for doing extra (unpaid) work, but you don’t anything from it. You might think you’re being some sort of company man who has a strong work ethic (mug), but almost certainly the company itself won’t give a shit other than the aforementioned manager thanking you.

As mentioned, you might think you’re making your work easier by working longer, but then you really should be asking why you need to do so in the first place.

Really you’re just living to work, and what’s the point in making the money when you’ll just be sat working all the time anyway.

You realise some people, particularly younger single people are motivated, enjoy work and are willing to put in a shift to get themselves up the career ladder.

If you look at a lot of graduate programmes that is the model, take young, single, highly motivated people and work them hard for a big reward. They will be fast tracked into some pretty senior positions pretty quickly and earning good money by their mid 20’s.

You’re not wrong, companies do take the piss but in these situations ‘getting out what you put in’ is very much the case.

Clearly it’s personal choice and if your preference is to work your hours and get home and enjoy your personal life more power to you but the judgement on those who don’t is unfair and ignorant.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You obviously haven't actually read or tried to understand the numerous posts on the subject. 

12 hours ago, Shotgun said:

That was never my experience. Unless they're all very good actors.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I like the philosophy you are coming at this with. As I understand it, you are saying "you owe your company nothing, they don't really value you, and work is just a means to an end, there's nothing inherently valuable about it. Life is about more than work. Get out and experience it". I totally get that. I am on the same page and I think most people are. Unfortunately you are not able to temper that ideal with any practical experience at the moment, and your posts show that. Sometimes, the thing that is best for a person, is to make a small sacrifice now for a bigger pay off later. It is called investment. Sometimes, it is, in a practical sense, better to get "mugged off" for an hour or two now, for a much bigger pay off later. That is just a reality.

It is great that you have this understanding already that work holds no intrinsic value. Unfortunately - as is common to humans - your lack of experience means you are still idealistic. And you are not taking on board the comments of people who have experience.

When you get the nice job you are going for, you will understand. And you will say "ach, those b*****ds on P&B were right". And we will all be on our yachts, because we are putting in the effort now. :thumsup2

Also....

You’re just encouraging employers to take the piss. You’re normalising that sort of behaviour and creating the expectation. Basically you’re allowing yourself to be underpaid by doing more hours than you get money for, and letting the employers reap the benefit of your extra (unpaid) efforts.

You have missed the point of a salary. Usually the contract will not have a specific maximum number of hours. You are not being paid for a certain number of hours. You are being paid for a certain outcome. That outcome is usually "be on site between X am - Y pm, and achieve objectives (i), (ii), and (iii)". You accept that when you sign the contract (albeit few of us have any choice except to work) and thereafter you are not being mugged off, that's just your job. It's a muggy part of the job, but it is your job.

Nothing wrong with folk who enjoy their work and want to get ahead.

But why should that mean doing unpaid overtime? Why should getting up the career ladder mean working outwith their contracted hours for no money?

As I said, it creates a culture where that’s expected, or at least where if you want to ‘get ahead’ it’s expected, which is not only dickhead behaviour but is also very unfair on those who can’t do it, such as people with young families or who have caring responsibilties etc.

Why can’t someone ‘put in a shift’ during their normal working hourse? Why can’t they be ‘motivated’ just by doing their normal working hours? Why can’t they ‘get ahead’ and ‘get themselves up the career ladder’ during normal working hours?

‘Getting out what you put in’ is akin to propaganda. It’s nonsense designed to take advantage of mugs. Companies must get countless hours for free by people living by this mantra. I just don’t think it’s smart and it’s all to the benefit of the companies.

Archived