Things that make you cringe

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I always thought that Lee Power was a colloquialism for vaulting something.

This and the pun in the Facts you made up thread, absolutely disgusting stuff :angry: 

thread seems to have gone a bit off track.

the thing that makes me cringe the most are feet. they are bogging in everyway. i dont like touching anyones, mine being touched or seeing anyones being touched.

if it was uo to me we woukd all be cutting about balancing on bloody stumps!

On 24/08/2018 at 23:38, welshbairn said:

I'll be sitting on a bus and a memory of behaving like a twat years ago will hit me and I'll be full blown cringe mode, and sweaty blushing. Nothing major, just embarrassing  memories. Still building up the courage to watch the latest Borat thing.

I do this. I'd love to understand the psychology of how this stuff is repressed. If I had to make a list right now of the top 10 embarrassing/cringeworthy things that I've done, I would probably struggle to come up with anything too bad.  And yet every so often, I'll be walking down the road, thinking of some mundane shite and suddenly get a flashback to me acting like an arse in 2009 which makes me want to end myself fuckme.png 

12 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah, my job is an annual salary to meet the objectives of the job regardless of the time. The problem being that the industry/management are a bit old school in that if I come in at 7am and leave at 7pm I will get nothing extra, but if the following day I come in at 10am and leave at 3pm I would be getting asked questions. So whilst I’ll do the work that needs done, and as I’ve said before when under pressure to hit a deadline, I would do a couple of hours at home maybe, I will always power through all my work during work hours as I’m efficient and don’t want to waste my personal time working.

Essentially if you’re having to work consistently more than your working hours, either you’re inefficient and shite at your job and should be replaced, or the work is too much for 1 employee and you should be putting the case forward to management to employ support.

I think it comes with the territory when you are at a certain level in the company and even in certain industries - working late is the norm and perhaps even expected  but it's frowned upon if you leave early, it's not swings and roundabouts.   I rarely worked from home when I was in the UK, I preferred to stay in the office but that was before I had a child so maybe that was a factor.  I travelled a lot as well, so very early starts and very late returns was normal.  It simply was the job and if you couldn't accept it then you couldn't do the job.  

I'm not sure about the final sentence - some positions pretty much require long hours but it can't really be classed as overtime as there are no real standard hours - the contract must state working hours but there will be a catch-all to make this meaningless.  It's not really about efficiency or being too busy in many situations  - it's just the job.

I fully understand that people in an hourly-paid job wouldn't expect to work a minute extra unpaid, but by the same token people in a salaried position MAY be expected to work as many hours as needed to get the job done.  

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure about the final sentence - some positions pretty much require long hours but it can't really be classed as overtime as there are no real standard hours - the contract must state working hours but there will be a catch-all to make this meaningless.  It's not really about efficiency or being too busy in many situations  - it's just the job.

I fully understand that people in an hourly-paid job wouldn't expect to work a minute extra unpaid, but by the same token people in a salaried position MAY be expected to work as many hours as needed to get the job done.  

That’s kind of the point though. If your contract states your working hours are 60 a week then that’s fine, you know what you’re signing up for, but if it says 40 and it’s just an unwritten expectation that you’ll work 60/70/80 then essentially the company are employing one person to do the work of two. They should be hiring another person to share the responsibilities, not squeezing every moment out of someone’s personal life. I know that’s the way the world works, but that doesn’t make it right.

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That’s kind of the point though. If your contract states your working hours are 60 a week then that’s fine, you know what you’re signing up for, but if it says 40 and it’s just an unwritten expectation that you’ll work 60/70/80 then essentially the company are employing one person to do the work of two. They should be hiring another person to share the responsibilities, not squeezing every moment out of someone’s personal life. I know that’s the way the world works, but that doesn’t make it right.

Contracts are only one part of it. There will always be people willing to work those extra hours in order to advance their career prospects.

Effort in affects results out. Seems perfectly fair...?

My busiest time at work is usually after office hours, I’m very partial to sending antagonistic mails, completing reports, arranging ridiculous face- to - face meetings, promising things I’ll never deliver, having ideas for company re-organisation, that make no sense etc.
Most of this happens between 6-9pm.
To be fair, I’m salaried, have no supervisor in the same country as me & I’m usually in the pub by 1pm, so I don’t mind having drunken diatribes outwith normal office hours.

31 minutes ago, banana said:

Contracts are only one part of it. There will always be people willing to work those extra hours in order to advance their career prospects.

Effort in affects results out. Seems perfectly fair...?

Maybe I’m just incredibly good at my job that I’m able to do the required work (the vast majority of the time) in my regular working hours and rise past those working until 7pm every night.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Maybe I’m just incredibly good at my job that I’m able to do the required work (the vast majority of the time) in my regular working hours and rise past those working until 7pm every night.

How did your commute go today? I'm on tenterhooks. 

Some of the smartest and most efficient people I know have been unable to avoid working overtime in jobs I’ve had in the past. I don’t know what you do so wouldn’t pass judgement but you’re naive if you think that anyone working unpaid overtime is just inefficient.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Some of the smartest and most efficient people I know have been unable to avoid working overtime in jobs I’ve had in the past. I don’t know what you do so wouldn’t pass judgement but you’re naive if you think that anyone working unpaid overtime is just inefficient.

Are you intentionally ignoring the other posts I’ve made saying that if it’s a random occurrence then yes people might have to work longer to get it done, but if it’s a consistent pattern then it’s either inefficiency or a business refusing to correctly staff the place?

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Contracts can only state what's legal in terms of working hours - max 48 I think.  It's often not an unwritten expectation that you will do more - at certain levels it will state this explicitly.  At lower levels i agree that excessive extra hours suggests undermanning, but when you get to higher levels it really is the nature of the job and not questioned by those doing it.  Nobody is getting shafted at those levels - but I totally agree that further down the structure there is plenty of companies taking advantage.    

People bragging about a shitty, generic Spanish beach holiday they've got planned make me cringe.  Or going on about how much money they paid for a specific item.  Very good, you come across as a tosser.

Quite a lot of things that people say and do either make me cringe or annoy me.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

People bragging about a shitty, generic Spanish beach holiday they've got planned make me cringe.  Or going on about how much money they paid for a specific item.  Very good, you come across as a tosser.

Bragging about anything is cringeworthy.  I was just saying that to the two supermodels I was shagging in the back seat of my Maserati last night.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bragging about anything is cringeworthy.  I was just saying that to the two supermodels I was shagging in the back seat of my Maserati last night.

No way is there room to shag 2 supermodels in the back of a Maserati unless they're dwarfs. Respect.

Are you intentionally ignoring the other posts I’ve made saying that if it’s a random occurrence then yes people might have to work longer to get it done, but if it’s a consistent pattern then it’s either inefficiency or a business refusing to correctly staff the place?

No I’m not ignoring them. The chances are it is a company operating with as tight a resource as they possibly can and it’s the employee who pays he price.

I was challenging your assertion that you must be super efficient and talented compared to those who do overtime.

The travel forum is just one big bragging session.

Archived