Things that make you cringe

Aye well you are just deciding not to read what anybody posts then or just consistently failing to understand it. There is no-one here who disagrees with you that a culture which sets specific work hours then demands more than that is anything but shite. There is also nobody here who works outside of office hours for that reason so I have no idea why you are banging on about that?

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sitting in work yesterday and there were a few folk discussing the film Snatch and the amount of information they got wrong about the actors/characters/plot/quotes made me cringe so hard as it was obvious that not one of them knew the film well enough to discuss it at length but made out they'd seen it loads of times.

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nothing wrong with folk who enjoy their work and want to get ahead.

But why should that mean doing unpaid overtime? Why should getting up the career ladder mean working outwith their contracted hours for no money?

As I said, it creates a culture where that’s expected, or at least where if you want to ‘get ahead’ it’s expected, which is not only dickhead behaviour but is also very unfair on those who can’t do it, such as people with young families or who have caring responsibilties etc.

Why can’t someone ‘put in a shift’ during their normal working hourse? Why can’t they be ‘motivated’ just by doing their normal working hours? Why can’t they ‘get ahead’ and ‘get themselves up the career ladder’ during normal working hours?

‘Getting out what you put in’ is akin to propaganda. It’s nonsense designed to take advantage of mugs. Companies must get countless hours for free by people living by this mantra. I just don’t think it’s smart and it’s all to the benefit of the companies.

You seem to be hanging your hat on one perspective and point-blank refusing to see any other.

How about people in roles who don't have contractual hours, who accept they are required to do what is needed to fulfil the needs of the role?  And who are compensated well in terms of salary, bonus and other benefits?  Or those who actually like their work, and are motivated by it both inside and outside the workplace - such people do exist?

Not everyone who is committed to their job is being mugged by their employer.  

Guest bernardblack

People who takes fives far too seriously. 

Don't get me wrong, love a competitive game of fives but cringe when someone (usually the worst player there) is treating it like he isn't 40 and there are scouts watching. 

In places I've worked in the past managers and more senior staff were expected to be routinely available outside working hours.  I had a manager who was always available any time, you could phone her at 3am and she'd answer.  The only team she was offline was if she was on a holiday or had a family activity, and she'd let people know in advance.   She was very well paid (bought a new Porsche with her bonus one year) and it was expected - you get paid six figures then you can answer your phone at 3am.

I am in the middle on it - I'll work extra hours if required.  I work in a reactive role, I deal with things that happen most of the time rather than methodically working through tasks so it can be feast or famine.  If I need to work past when I'm normally finishing I'll do it, unless I've got a family reason not to.  If I do more than a couple of hours I'll claim overtime for it and they always pay you for it.  I sometimes work past my contracted finish time to get things tidied up to make sure I can start the day without anything on my plate - this also helps my colleagues who might have to deal with my mess should I not do it properly.

I get paid a good wage and I'm happy to put the hours in to get the job done, if that's whats needed.  If my work took the piss I'd happily tell them but they don't.  One thing that is often a mask for managers taking the piss in this area is flexitime.  When I worked in a previous job we had Flexitime but you could only tkae two days a month back and weren't allowed to accrue more than a weeks worth.  You could finish early but what happened was everyone ended up accruing too much to use and we'd lose it.  If we ever asked for it to be paid as overtime we were told there wasn't a budget.  When I left I had a weeks worth in my bucket, which I lost.  c***s.  Still I left for a measly 50% pay rise.

15 hours ago, Shotgun said:

On that note - it's cringey as f**k when someone who has left the company 'does' pop back in to see everyone. You've left, we've moved on, nobody's interested in making small talk with you. f**k off.

^ ^ ^ image.jpeg.05ebeefb391ffc363f003f4afff2720e.jpeg IMO

My annual outgoings - rent, food, bills, and a bit for leisure - are about £17k. After that, and tax, everything goes in the savings pot. I am hoping to retire, or go part-time, within the next ten years (i.e. mid-to-late 30s). I am happy to graft a bit extra to make that happen. I am in a relationship though so there is a limit. More than 2 or 3 weekends a year is too much.

Why should higher pay mean you should be expected to give up personal time? It should surely mean that you're more skilled and take on greater responsibility. 

But why should that mean being available at 3am to use the example given above?

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why should higher pay mean you should be expected to give up personal time? It should surely mean that you're more skilled and take on greater responsibility. 

Erm, matey, for the six hundredth fucking time, sometimes you take higher pay because you are committing to unpredictable and inconvenient working hours. Same job, worse hours, better pay.

Why not just fucking get one of these jobs, find out what it's like and THEN fucking comment.

19 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Erm, matey, for the six hundredth fucking time, sometimes you take higher pay because you are committing to unpredictable and inconvenient working hours. Same job, worse hours, better pay.

Why not just fucking get one of these jobs, find out what it's like and THEN fucking comment.

Fine if it says you don't have spread hours. But if you have for example 40 hours a week stated in your contract, then it's an issue when you do more for reasons I've outlined above.

I highly doubt I could get a job like that. I highly doubt I would want one.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

My annual outgoings - rent, food, bills, and a bit for leisure - are about £17k. After that, and tax, everything goes in the savings pot. I am hoping to retire, or go part-time, within the next ten years (i.e. mid-to-late 30s). I am happy to graft a bit extra to make that happen. I am in a relationship though so there is a limit. More than 2 or 3 weekends a year is too much.

Good luck with that plan, m8.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

This is getting into a 9-year old's tantrum territory for having to do homework or wash the dishes to get pocket money.

Bar nepotism and sucking the right people's cocks, getting anywhere generally requires more effort and commitment than the mass of other people doing their 40-hours-and-no-more.

Fine if it says you don't have spread hours. But if you have for example 40 hours a week stated in your contract, then it's an issue when you do more for reasons I've outlined above.
I highly doubt I could get a job like that. I highly doubt I would want one.

As has been said if you don’t want a job like that then more power to you and fair play.

But don’t judge others and without having experienced a role like that you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

28 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Thanks. I suspect having kids will wreck it.

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

They fucking wreck every single dream you ever had. 

But then they have kids and it's schadenfreude time...

Archived