Things that make you cringe

Sitting in the office on a quiet Friday morning reading P&B before begrudgingly getting on with some work, when all of a sudden the peace and quiet is rudely disturbed by a rapturous round of applause.  Yes once again someone is moving onto pastures new and is receiving the horribly awkward last day good bye circle jerk!

The poor c**t has to sit there while twenty odd people stand around grinning like morons as they watch them receive some shitty gifts, then of course the individual has to say something cripplingly witty like 'Ooh this'll be getting opened tonight' or 'I might be back in six months' to which every single fucker leering over them bursts out laughing as if The Big Yin himself has been dishing out his very best. 

Then there's the applause, drawn out awkward cringe worthy applause as if everyone there utterly adores the person, when in reality they couldn't give a flying f**k if they never see the c**t again.

Shit like this make my skin crawl,  so it got me to thinking. What other awkward social constructs like this make you cringe at the mere thought of them? 

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

Sitting in the office on a quiet Friday morning reading P&B before begrudgingly getting on with some work, when all of a sudden the peace and quiet is rudely disturbed by a rapturous round of applause.  Yes once again someone is moving onto pastures new and is receiving the horribly awkward last day good bye circle jerk!

The poor c**t has to sit there while twenty odd people stand around grinning like morons as they watch them receive some shitty gifts, then of course the individual has to say something cripplingly witty like 'Ooh this'll be getting opened tonight' or 'I might be back in six months' to which every single fucker leering over them bursts out laughing as if The Big Yin himself has been dishing out his very best. 

Then there's the applause, drawn out awkward cringe worthy applause as if everyone there utterly adores the person, when in reality they couldn't give a flying f**k if they never see the c**t again.

Shit like this make my skin crawl,  so it got me to thinking. What other awkward social constructs like this make you cringe at the mere thought of them? 

This exact situation happened at my work this morning. Woman from the Canteen who to be fair has been here for about 18 years is retiring. Went up and dropped her off a box of chocolates this morning thinking that was enough.

About half an hour ago, senior management are down rounding people up out their offices and we all have to head up to the canteen and stare at the poor woman for 10 minutes while a Director gives a speech and she gets handed a bunch of flowers, wine, cards etc.

Never want to be the first to leave as it looks bad!

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I have a friend who can't watch stuff like Borat and Bruno cos they make him cringe. Fair enough cos it's "real people", but he can't even watch stuff like Peep Show and Alan Partridge for the same reason. 

I love all the stuff, Sacha Baron Cohen's new stuff in America is meant to be brilliant. I'll need to catch up with it.

The only thing I find cringey is when they put chefs in professional kitchens on Masterchef, especially tge celebs. I don't know why but I find that really hard to watch.

Over here when someone has a birthday, the whole office has to stand in a line to shake their hand and offer some sort of birthday wish. It's incredibly awkward and really strange. 

16 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Over here when someone has a birthday, the whole office has to stand in a line to shake their hand and offer some sort of birthday wish. It's incredibly awkward and really strange. 

As if they actually achieved something, truly horrific. 

2 hours ago, SaintDougie said:

It's the leaving e-mail that gets me, what a load of utter tosh, who cares, just f'ck off.

I have a friend who can't watch stuff like Borat and Bruno cos they make him cringe. Fair enough cos it's "real people", but he can't even watch stuff like Peep Show and Alan Partridge for the same reason. 
Are his initials DS by chance? You've described someone I know [emoji38]

Funny this thread has started today as I was going to comment about something today on the TYWTS thread: People who interact with kids (toddlers or younger in particular) who clearly don't know how to or feel uncomfortable doing so. A guy serving me earlier spoke to my daughter and it was awful stuff. Either ignore the kid or just smile.

Line-ups at funerals and weddings.

People on karaoke who think they are actually good.

Most things drunk people say and do (when you're sober).

Pretty much anything that comes out my moronic sister-in-law's mouth.

3 hours ago, SaintDougie said:

I recently moved jobs and managed to avoid all this nonsense by not telling anyone I was leaving until the day I actually left.

We’ve had a few people leave recently. One of whom I actually got on. Was I f**k standing staring at them for 15 minutes while someone spoke pish though. I put in to their collection and messaged them saying saying all the best and keep in touch. Cringe inducing nonsense.
It got me thinking to leaving, I reckon I’ll say to my boss the day before my leaving date that I’ll not be in the following day, my last day, as I can’t be arsed with the fuss.

In my old work a new lassie joined and a few weeks afterwards she turned 30 so there was a collection for her - only milestone birthdays got a collection, which is more sensible than every birthday.  Fair enough.  Then she got married a few months later on and we had another collection.  Almost immediately after the marriage they seperated and she started seeing another guy in our work, they got engaged about nine months after her first wedding and the first thought people had was "not another fucking collection".  I'm sure she did it all just to get some more Debenhams vouchers, or whatever shite we bought her.

I’m leaving my work on Tuesday, been there since i left school, 35 years. I want a piper piping me oot the gates, I want a buffet, I want alcohol, I want presents, doves and balloons released as I walk out, or better carried out by workmates sitting in a chair on a pallet, a fly past by the red arrows would be taking the piss, but nice also. What I don’t want is a fuss

Archived