Players that didn't quite make it

Steven Bell was a class above before his injury. When he played for Stirling you immediately saw that he was special and I creamed when it was announced he was joining us. He was played out of position constantly but when McIntyre finally played him in CM he totally bossed it in the First Division. A midfield of him, Gibson, Cardle and Graham was sublime. Played some awesome football back then. I honestly thought he would have went on to be a top Premiership player, but, as alluded to previously, he's lucky he's even still playing professional football. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, k-ton said:

I'd probably offer Craig 'Hagi' McPherson.  An incredible left peg on him.

Finished off well thought of at Falkirk, but agree, should have played at a far higher level with that left foot of his.

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mark Millar I presume you mean? Whilst it's true, I don't think he or Conroy or probably even Brian Gilmour are anywhere near a shout. They were all already condemned to the life of the lower League "journeyman" (c) Peter Houston before they arrived at us.

If you are old enough then for a short while when he first came into our side everyone though Sandy Hodge would be a player who went far in the game and went for big money but he never really progressed, went backwards and ended up at Stranraer in a swap deal instead.

He was never truly "ours" but the obvious example for us is definitely Jamie Adams. I'm convinced if he'd not done his cruciate twice while on loan to us he'd have gone on to play for Scotland. His performance in our away leg in Denmark was as good as I've seen from any QoS midfielder and he completely dominated the middle of the park in those days. It's a crying shame how injuries ruined him.

Yep Mark Millar. Thanks for the correction.

Steven Bell was a class above before his injury. When he played for Stirling you immediately saw that he was special and I creamed when it was announced he was joining us. He was played out of position constantly but when McIntyre finally played him in CM he totally bossed it in the First Division. A midfield of him, Gibson, Cardle and Graham was sublime. Played some awesome football back then. I honestly thought he would have went on to be a top Premiership player, but, as alluded to previously, he's lucky he's even still playing professional football. 

Seems to only be capable of playing centre half now. Was a revelation when we signed him in January as our defence suddenly became a lot more solid when he started playing alongside Michael Rose.

Don’t think he’ll start many games this season but he’ll be a decent player to bring on if we’re trying to defend a lead.

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was never truly "ours" but the obvious example for us is definitely Jamie Adams. I'm convinced if he'd not done his cruciate twice while on loan to us he'd have gone on to play for Scotland. His performance in our away leg in Denmark was as good as I've seen from any QoS midfielder and he completely dominated the middle of the park in those days. It's a crying shame how injuries ruined him.

I suppose on reflection there's an argument that the golden generation of Holt, Durnan, Reilly and Carmichael could all be added to this. Injuries have probably killed off Danny's football really. He barely played for Hibs following his big move and didn't play that often for us in two years back. The others haven't really kicked on with Holt the only one of them who really got himself regular football at Premiership level and even he wasn't quite an automatic pick at Dundee and has now ended up in Cyprus. Durnan was possibly the best of an underperforming Dundee United defence over the last three years but didn't step up the way many thought he would and is now at Dunfermline. Reilly initially did ok at Hearts without really excelling but was deemed surplus to requirements and then had a horror year at Dunfermline before bouncing back well to win the division with St Mirren last season. Even then he was largely a bit part player after losing his place to Danny Mullen in the second half of the season. Now warming Bristol Rovers bench.

Three of them are still young enough that they could get back to top level yet of course.

If Michael Moffat had started playing the game at a younger age then imo he’d be playing at a much higher level.

He didn’t make his debut for Girvan until he was in his twenties and it was more down to him being more interested watching Celtic play on a Saturday rather than a lack of ability.

I've often wondered what would've happened with Rory McAllister.  As many of you may remember, when he came near to the age for breaking into the first team the SPL had that stupid three U21 players on the bench rule.  This usually meant that we had the likes of Guy Kerr and Stuart Soane on the bench, who had absolutely no chance of getting on the park.  As McAllister was a striker and scored regularly in the reserve league, he usually took the third spot and was often used to run down the clock, often coming on with minutes remaining.  Granted, he often didn't look any good but perhaps had it not been for this rule, he would've been loaned out to a Division 2 side and banged in the goals.  Perhaps then, with his confidence up, he could've broken into the ICT first team and scored regularly in the top flight.  Possibly a player damaged by stupid SPL rules.

Gabriel Rojo de la Vega Piccolo. 
Played for us in the Premiership.  Failed to find a club after that and then retired, aged 24, possibly because no one else at any level wanted him. Useful in quiz questions on footballers named after musical instruments.
Not in any way a reflection on AA's ability to spot a player.

Probably earns more money now due to being handsome as f**k.

Mark Millar I presume you mean? Whilst it's true, I don't think he or Conroy or probably even Brian Gilmour are anywhere near a shout. They were all already condemned to the life of the lower League "journeyman" © Peter Houston before they arrived at us.

Not sure that's the case with Gilmour tbh. He was 20 when he arrived at us so I think there was every chance he could have kicked on at us and got a move. At 20 years old I think it's very harsh to already condemn what was a promising young player, especially when you consider Dobbie never got his act together until he was about 25 and completely turned his career around.

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not sure that's the case with Gilmour tbh. He was 20 when he arrived at us so I think there was every chance he could have kicked on at us and got a move. At 20 years old I think it's very harsh to already condemn what was a promising young player, especially when you consider Dobbie never got his act together until he was about 25 and completely turned his career around.

Yeah, maybe. He'd already been at Clyde before us but to be fair so had Bob Harris and it didn't stop him kicking on. I'm maybe under-rating what a positive signing he was seen as being at the time.

Chic Charley is the obvious one for us, I think. The man is almost a byword for unfulfilled potential (although it did mean he played for us). 

Controversially, I’d also include Scott Paterson. I reckon that he, aside from Chico, is the best player I’ve seen at Thistle. A long term hip injury meant his career took a while to get going, and caused it to end quite prematurely. 

The more recent example would be Adam Strachan. After the most exciting debut of any Thistle player in a generation, he developed into a grade 1 bamstick. He now plays with East Kilbride in the lowland league.

3 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

Can’t remember whether he was actually any good or not, but Greg Cameron is a name that springs to mind. Seemed to play almost every game in one mid noughties season for us, then disappeared off the face of the earth.

I grew up with Greg, sure he works in the Michelin now

8 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Stephen Mcanologue (sp?) and Jamie McCunnie spring to mind at Utd. 

McConologue usually ended up playing for a top-flight English club in late-Nineties Championship Manager, which gives an idea of how well he was thought of at the time.

We had a young Titan sign for us a few years back; Sir Geoffrey of Mitchell. Some you may remember him. He played in a couple of pre-season friendlies and was terrifying - dominant in the area without even trying, lethal in the finish, and the ground shook beneath the bulk of his muscular 7ft frame. He was a beast, and not in that bad way. We were in awe; a contract was quickly offered and signed, and we couldn't wait to see him unleashed upon on unsuspecting opponents.

Sadly, he turned out to be a complete haddie who'd played out of his skin in a couple of games, and was totally out of his depth. Highlights included an inability to win headers against players approximately half his height, being knocked off the ball by small children, and failing to outpace fans on their way to the pie shop. It only took three or four games for the contract to be cancelled by mutual agreement, and Sir Geoff was last sighted physically assaulting his teammates as a sleeper agent for Maidstone United.

(possibly slightly exaggerated; YMMV) 

Archived