Ones that got away

1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

I'm sure her name was Rie or something like that. Wouldn't hear a bad word against him! She even followed him to Cowdenbeath!

and beyond.. but that's a different story... 

Alex Miller tried to sign David Platt for Hibs from Crewe but the board wouldn't stump up the money and Aston Villa signed him instead. He did not too bad in his career.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Hibs signed him from Rangers. Before punting him back out to St Johnstone in the Championship.

Did you see Dundee’s strikers?

Kris Boyd was the leagues top scorer last season! Of course Dobbie would still be good enough.

Edit - wrong thing quoted but can’t be fucked changing it.

Did you see Dundee’s strikers?

Kris Boyd was the leagues top scorer last season! Of course Dobbie would still be good enough.

Edit - wrong thing quoted but can’t be fucked changing it.

He would probably get in one of the lower teams in the Premiership but what I said was he wouldn’t cut it which I don’t think he would. Just because he’s better than someone like Moussa doesn’t mean he’s good enough to score regularly in the Premiership.

When we signed Anthony Stokes on a 4 month loan deal back in summer 2006  we were originally offered him for £200K but shat the bed at the price.

In January 2007 Sunderland bought him for £1.7M purely on the back of his incredible goals tally for Falkirk in the SPL.

I'm absolutely not bitter at this at all

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He would probably get in one of the lower teams in the Premiership but what I said was he wouldn’t cut it which I don’t think he would. Just because he’s better than someone like Moussa doesn’t mean he’s good enough to score regularly in the Premiership.

Which is spectacularly missing the point of the thread regardless of whether you are right (though you are not). 

Which is spectacularly missing the point of the thread regardless of whether you are right (though you are not). 

I didn’t say it had anything to do with the thread. I was responding to a point raised earlier about Dobbie.

We allegedly had the opportunity to sign Graham Dorrans permanently after a very impressive loan spell back in the 05/06 season. 

Not necessarily one that "got away" but something that has always grated on me was back when we won promotion to the SPL. Nacho Novo had just finished top scorer in the league for a Raith team that got relegated. There was a lot of chat that he was going to move for circa £100k. I seem to recall we were credited with an interest at one point but baulked at the price. But soon after, Lambie offered £100k for Pat Keogh at Clyde. :huh:

Even then, he was pretty despised after an incident in a Challenge Cup game at Starks where he contributed to an injury to Davie McCallum - one that he never really recovered from for us anyway. But unpleasantries aside, he was cracking player and a pain to play against. 

That same summer however probably has the best "one that got away". It was announced on the radio and in the papers that we'd signed Ricky Waddell and Lee Miller from Falkirk. Although we hadn't. We'd signed Waddell and Ian Morris. No doubt another "Andy Gibson"* moment from Lambie!

*for those that don't know that story, Lambie signed Andy Gibson from Aberdeen and it was only when watching him for the first time that he realised he meant to sign Andy Roddie.

11 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I'm sure her name was Rie or something like that. Wouldn't hear a bad word against him! She even followed him to Cowdenbeath!

Did she not follow him to the Hibs youth teams or something? 

9 hours ago, grumswall said:
13 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:
Scott Brown is from Dalgety Bay I'm sure so we should definitely have grabbed him emoji20.png

He's from Hill of beath.

Arguing over hovels, to be fair. 

10 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

When we signed Anthony Stokes on a 4 month loan deal back in summer 2006  we were originally offered him for £200K but shat the bed at the price.

In January 2007 Sunderland bought him for £1.7M purely on the back of his incredible goals tally for Falkirk in the SPL.

I'm absolutely not bitter at this at all

What a board we had. No money for Stokes, but we'd happily sign McNamara, McCann and Lovell. 

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

We allegedly had the opportunity to sign Graham Dorrans permanently after a very impressive loan spell back in the 05/06 season. 

Not necessarily one that "got away" but something that has always grated on me was back when we won promotion to the SPL. Nacho Novo had just finished top scorer in the league for a Raith team that got relegated. There was a lot of chat that he was going to move for circa £100k. I seem to recall we were credited with an interest at one point but baulked at the price. But soon after, Lambie offered £100k for Pat Keogh at Clyde. :huh:

Even then, he was pretty despised after an incident in a Challenge Cup game at Starks where he contributed to an injury to Davie McCallum - one that he never really recovered from for us anyway. But unpleasantries aside, he was cracking player and a pain to play against. 

That same summer however probably has the best "one that got away". It was announced on the radio and in the papers that we'd signed Ricky Waddell and Lee Miller from Falkirk. Although we hadn't. We'd signed Waddell and Ian Morris. No doubt another "Andy Gibson"* moment from Lambie!

*for those that don't know that story, Lambie signed Andy Gibson from Aberdeen and it was only when watching him for the first time that he realised he meant to sign Andy Roddie.

Not even close to peak Lambie as far as this Falkirk fan is concerned. 

Give yourself peace. He's been banging goals in for us for 2 seasons (over 20 each time) and we were an average side overall both seasons. If he was in a side who could create chances he'd comfortably reach double figures in the top flight.

13 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

John McCormack once signed the wrong Marc/Mark McCulloch as Morton manager - he brought in the left back Marc McCulloch from Arbroath instead of the left back Mark McCulloch from Ross County, who was by any reasonable guess ten times better than the time-served jobber who waddled into Cappielow for the first few months of the 2004-05 campaign. His time at The Famous didn't long outlast McCormack's spell in charge. 

An easy mistake to make if you're one of Scottish football's permaraging dinosaur figures. 

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Give yourself peace. He's been banging goals in for us for 2 seasons (over 20 each time) and we were an average side overall both seasons. If he was in a side who could create chances he'd comfortably reach double figures in the top flight.

Michael Moffat can bang in twenty goals a season in the third tier but is absolutely dung at the level above. The same applies to your beloved Dobbie - a flat-track bully who has never actually amounted to much within the Scottish game. 

On 8/23/2018 at 17:24, Edmond Dantès said:

Colin Calderwood, Kevin Kyle and Chris Iwelumo were all released by us as youngsters. All of them went on to play for Scotland.

He must have been really young because he made his debut for St Mirren aged 17, coming off the bench and scoring the fifth in a 5-0 win v Dumbarton.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1995&GameID=199602030

But did extremely well in harder divisions in a different country. I'm sure he'll look back on his career though and think "my goals in the English Premier League play-offs were a decent achievement but my main regret is not scoring against Aberdeen and Motherwell in the SPL, what a waste of a career".

No. No he wouldn’t.

Michael Moffat can bang in twenty goals a season in the third tier but is absolutely dung at the level above. The same applies to your beloved Dobbie - a flat-track bully who has never actually amounted to much within the Scottish game. 

Moffat won’t get double figures this season (don’t think he has in either season he’s been in this league) but the rest of his game is more important and means that to call him “dung” is incredibly harsh.

Whatever striker plays alongside him is instantly a better player for doing so.

Daziel brought over a squad one summer, Vareille, Jimmy Boco, Stefen Adam and a few others but someone alerted their talents to other clubs and we lost them. It was around the same time Bobby Connor was sacked by the club. 

We almost signed Robert Snodgrass but wouldn't pay the minimum fee. 

Daziel brought over a squad one summer, Vareille, Jimmy Boco, Stefen Adam and a few others but someone alerted their talents to other clubs and we lost them. It was around the same time Bobby Connor was sacked by the club. 
We almost signed Robert Snodgrass but wouldn't pay the minimum fee. 

Was it not that Snodgrass was all tied up but then either he or Livi asked for an extra 100 quid or so and we couldn’t afford it?

I’m pretty sure we were offered Steve Archibald as well when he was at Clyde and we passed and a year later Aberdeen bought him.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

But did extremely well in harder divisions in a different country.

I think you'll find that Dobbie scored just 35 goals in 177 appearances across seven different clubs in a different country - if that's your definition of 'doing extremely well' then I'd hate to see 'being utterly mediocre'. Given how his scoring record quite clearly slumped once not playing against the likes of Brechin or Ayr every few weeks your claim that he'd easily net double figures in the Scottish top flight can be safely filed in the bin marked 'utter bollocks'. 

I'm sure he'll look back on his career though and think "my goals in the English Premier League play-offs were a decent achievement but my main regret is not scoring against Aberdeen and Motherwell in the SPL, what a waste of a career".

Last time I checked, the original claim was that Saint Johnstone would lament Stephen Dobbie as a player that 'got away' from them: when they were winning a second tier that Dobbie has never won and never will; when winning a Scottish Cup that Dobbie has never won and never will; when winning European matches that Dobbie has never won and never will; when spending a full decade playing at a level that Dobbie has never been good enough to break into and never will. 

So no matter the amount of blubbering and whataboutery that your gormless fanbase put forward, the clear and obvious loser from that parting of the ways was Stephen Dobbie and not his former club. Thanks for playing anyway champ. 

Archived