Ones that got away

Probably been done before, but meh.

I’m not talking about guys you almost signed. I mean players who were actually at your club but who were released or allowed to leave and have went on to become good. Think Andy Robertson at Celtic as an example.

I’ll start with a pretty tame one. We had Stefan Scougall at East End as a young player. Seemingly the coaching staff didn’t rate him and he was released.

We did have Lawrence Shankland on load a few years back, when we were in League 1. However I wouldn’t really class him as ‘one that got away’ really since he was decent but no more, and a trifle overweight.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomas Danilevicius played for us 3 times on loan. He went on to have a pretty successful career in Italy as well as scoring 19 goals for Lithuania.

However he was absolute gash when he played for us, including skying the ball over the bar when faced with an open goal in his debut against Hibs. I don’t even remember the other games he played for us.

So a totally pointless anecdote there.

1 minute ago, IainMorton said:

Obviously Riyad Mahrez at St. Mirren is the best one. Weren’t they also talking to a young Ronaldinho aswell? :lol: 

The Mahrez story :lol:

I had totally forgotten about that one. Brilliant stuff.

Not sure the Ronaldinho one counts really, as they were only in talks. He wasn't actually at St Mirren unlike Mahrez.

We had Stuart Armstrong for a year when he was a youth player.

Edit - We also had GMS on trial after his release from Liverpool but he broke his leg, recovered and joined Airdrie United.

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Probably been done before, but meh.

I’m not talking about guys you almost signed. I mean players who were actually at your club but who were released or allowed to leave and have went on to become good. Think Andy Robertson at Celtic as an example.

I’ll start with a pretty tame one. We had Stefan Scougall at East End as a young player. Seemingly the coaching staff didn’t rate him and he was released.

We did have Lawrence Shankland on load a few years back, when we were in League 1. However I wouldn’t really class him as ‘one that got away’ really since he was decent but no more, and a trifle overweight.

He was more than one "trifle overweight" 

We had Grant Hanley here as a youth player but he didn't exactly "get away" in terms of we mistakenly let him go. He moved down to Crewe as soon as he was old enough to change countries. It wasn't something we could control. Likewise we had Denny Johnstone here as a youth and he moved to Celtic as is his right, though we got some compensation from Celtic for it.

Going slightly further back Ryan McGuffie and Colin McMenamin were in our youth system before coming to prominence at Annan Athletic and moving on to Newcastle United. Neither made a first team appearance for Newcastle but they made decent careers for themselves, both of them eventually coming full circle and signing for us as pros. Danny Carmichael also drifted out of our youth system before returning to us, twice. Even Gavin Reilly left us briefly during his time as a youth and was at Carlisle United for a few months before coming back.

I'm not sure there's anyone we've consciously released or not signed once reaching pro who has come back to haunt us. James Fowler had Andy Ryan on trial for 2 or 3 weeks before he went off to Arbroath instead and eventually did great at Airdrie, earning his move to Dunfermline.

44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The Mahrez story :lol:

I had totally forgotten about that one. Brilliant stuff.

Not sure the Ronaldinho one counts really, as they were only in talks. He wasn't actually at St Mirren unlike Mahrez.

For the benefit of those who don't remember/didn't know about Mahrez at St. Mirren

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10262801/leicesters-riyad-mahrez-once-fled-a-trial-at-st-mirren-because-of-the-cold

Was expecting a thread about DA Baracus' Jeffrey Dahmer-esque tales of those lucky few who made it out of his lair with all their limbs and genitals still attached to their body. 

Pars punted Stevie Crawford for being two wee before re-signing him seven years later (probably on about 100x his previous wages). 

Scott Pittman at Livingston. Was with us in 2011, made one appearance  before we punted him to the juniors with Broxburn, i think he then moved on to Bo'ness, before Livi took a punt in him and the rest as they say is history. 

We had a ginger winger called Ben Pringle on trial in a pre-season match v Brora around about 2008 but he didn't get a contract.

He then signed non-league at Ikelston, got POTY, and made a big move to Derby. He's been playing in League 1 or the Championship ever since for the likes of Preston, Ipswich, Fulham, with his most successful spell being at Rotherham.

Sam Winnal was on loan to us in 2012, didn't do much and has subsequently had a pretty decent career at English Championship. and League one level.

A good example for another team is when Paul Ritchie was rejected after a trial at St Mirren.  Steve Paterson signed him for us and he scored more than 60 goals in three seasons, including a couple of hat-tricks against the Buddies.

Archived