Flares/Pyrotechnics; Fun? Annoying? Dangerous?

What do you think of flares and pyrotechnics?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Police Scotland fear death from pyrotechnics in Scottish football

Fun?

I quite like the effect, I'm guessing for a certain generation of football fans the bouncing fans and coloured smoke drifting across a night's sky is the epitome of a European tie. While I take the negatives on board I still broadly like the aesthetics of them.

Annoying?

How many times have they been thrown on the pitch in order to either slow down play or noise up the opposition. I like seeing fans celebrate (unless against us, of course.. <_<) but using flares to stop the game just seems a shitty way of using them.

Dangerous?

Are they dangerous? People have died and the numbers are very low but it has happened. These things can get very hot and could easily scar someone for life should they pick it up or have it thrown at them. That said, more people have died from falling down the steps at a stadium, so where do you draw the line in terms of risk? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly these are a serious menace to society.

As previously mentioned, stairs are also dangerous and should be banned.

No hot drinks or food should be sold in stadia as these present a scalding hazard.

Actually all drinks should be banned in case of drowning.

Following the recent spectacle tragedy in the highlands I would also ban the ball, or at least place suitable restrictions on its permissible speed.

The most important thing is to have fun though.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Police Scotland fear death from pyrotechnics in Scottish football

Fun?

I quite like the effect, I'm guessing for a certain generation of football fans the bouncing fans and coloured smoke drifting across a night's sky is the epitome of a European tie. While I take the negatives on board I still broadly like the aesthetics of them.

Annoying?

How many times have they been thrown on the pitch in order to either slow down play or noise up the opposition. I like seeing fans celebrate (unless against us, of course.. <_<) but using flares to stop the game just seems a shitty way of using them.

Dangerous?

Are they dangerous? People have died and the numbers are very low but it has happened. These things can get very hot and could easily scar someone for life should they pick it up or have it thrown at them. That said, more people have died from falling down the steps at a stadium, so where do you draw the line in terms of risk? 

Image result for jeremy paxman newsnight

Set off a flare at the football and you will be jailed, but its ok if your on a sinking ship, lost on a remote mountainside or about to launch a Military attack on an enemy position, all of which are far more dangerous scenarios than attending a football match. 

Once again Football Supporters are treated as social Pariahs and singled out for unfair treatment.

Set off a flare at the football and you will be jailed, but its ok if your on a sinking ship, lost on a remote mountainside or about to launch a Military attack on an enemy position, all of which are far more dangerous scenarios than attending a football match. 
Once again Football Supporters are treated as social Parahias and singled out for unfair treatment.
As social what now?

Also, football stadiums don't have much in common with sinking ships or war zones.

12 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

:lol:

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Clearly these are a serious menace to society.

As previously mentioned, stairs are also dangerous and should be banned.

No hot drinks or food should be sold in stadia as these present a scalding hazard.

Actually all drinks should be banned in case of drowning.

Following the recent spectacle tragedy in the highlands I would also ban the ball, or at least place suitable restrictions on its permissible speed.

The most important thing is to have fun though.

You forgot breathing air, roughly 95% of people who have breathed air are dead.

1 hour ago, killiekranky said:

Once again Football Supporters are treated as social Pariahs and singled out for unfair treatment.

This is covered in existing legislation and there's no need for an Offensive Behaviour At Remotemountainsides & Sea Act (OBARSE)

1 hour ago, killiekranky said:

You do realise that what you’ve said is utter nonsense and typical football fan “they’re picking on us, so they are” mentality. There is absolutely no need to take a flare, smoke bomb or whatever, to a football match. 

Archived