Motherwell v Rangers - Sunday 26th August

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Ha!  I was on the phone to her earlier and she was laughing at our poor outcome today.  She'll be 91 next week and a feisty Airdrie fan.

Chap on her door tomorrow and she'll make you a cup of tea with a teacake.  Be sure to put a couple of quid in to the Women's Guild collection box on yer way out.

Some nerve.

51 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

Forgive me for not reading the 20 odd pages of what I imagine will be gloating... I might later in the day

I have been very critical of officials in the past and CT in particular but I have to say I thought he had a very decent game. He let quite a lot go but he did it even handedly. It was like watching a game from years gone by when tackling was allowed. Both sets of players battled away for 95 minutes and walked off the park shaking hands. 

Everybody in the pub was gutted when Hartley , it had to be him :lol:, scored the equaliser.  I just turned to my mate and said thoroughly deserved. It would have been absolute robbery if Rangers had taken all three points yesterday. 

Rangers are a work in progress and Gerrard will learn from games like this. He ll learn more from yesterday than any previous games. You don’t throw on young Middleton into a game like that in those conditions when you still have McCrorie and Candieas there!! We were hanging on and needed strength in there nota nippy wee speed merchant!!

I thought Motherwell were excellent and their manager got it spot on. They are not pretty on the eye but very effective at what they do. 

I was looking for a win yesterday and then two draws. If we can grab two draws in our next two games it will have been a very decent start to the season 

Is 55 off again then? I canny keep up with this shit.

12 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

:lol: There is nothing in that at all. Falls on him.

He saw an opportunity to fall on him and he took it. I never saw the elbow but thought he made sure his knees got him. 

Thats just the way I saw it and nothing the compliant officer can do as it’s all inconclusive 

28 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Great match!! Best since the Hibees 5-5 match at end of last season and a tremendous advert for top flight football in Scotland. 

Thoroughly deserved point for Motherwell.  If they can keep up that level they'll fly up the table.  I thought the ref had an excellent game.

Gael Bigirimana really caught my eye.

In the final 30 minutes Rangers had nothing left and I don't know if their Euro campaign has had any affect on them but I can't see them getting past Ufa on Thursday based on that performance.

I don’t think it was so much they had nothing left but more Motherwell threw everything at them and they did hold strong until the very last kick of the ball

Taking off Barisic and bringing on Middleton was a huge error by Gerrard. He had two players on the bench who could have made us far stronger defensively. Young  is a very promising young Scottish player but will never be known for being defensive!!

15 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

With Rangers squad I don't think they should have to shut up shop for 30 minutes against Motherwell but that's what they chose to do and got deeper and deeper.  The couple of times I've seen Middleton he looked quick and direct and presumably was brought on to try and exploit spaces made by Motherwell coming forward BUT I don't think Rangers were able to get the ball to him once. 

Not so much a case of shutting up shop and more a case of trying to get some meaningful possession!! We hardly strung two passes together the last 15 minutes! Lumping it aimlessly forward only for it to come straight back was always going to lead to trouble.

Obviously he was wanting Middleton to be an out ball. Quick direct player to cause them problems on the counter. Great idea , wrong player!! Candieas offers that plus closing down and tracking back. 

As I said it’s a work in progress and I’m sure Gerard will learn more from this game than he has from any other

1 hour ago, BobWilliamson said:

He saw an opportunity to fall on him and he took it. I never saw the elbow but thought he made sure his knees got him. 

Thats just the way I saw it and nothing the compliant officer can do as it’s all inconclusive 

Never a truer word typed, Bob!

15 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

As I said it’s a work in progress and I’m sure Gerard will learn more from this game than he has from any other

In all seriousness,  i've heard countless managers and pundits say you should never make a substitution when defending a set piece,  Gerrard promptly does so in the 94th minute and concedes an equaliser,  Murty or Caxinha would have been slaughtered for that.

2 hours ago, Jdog said:

That's actually quite bizarre - never seen that one before and certainly didn't pick up on it at the game...knew exactly what he was doing obviously.

To be honest, I couldn't really care if anything comes from it from the compliance officer as it will only make a difference to the OF game and I don't care about that.

Archived