Scotland Under 21 Squad

Honest_Ally

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Scott Gemmill seems to be doing a decent job. Good to see after the u21s looked to be struggling for a while. Plenty very young guys in the team for the age group. Positive stuff all round.

We've drawn in Andorra, drawn at home to Latvia and lost at home to Ukraine this campaign, so lets not over-do the acclaim. We've had excellent home-and-away wins over the Netherlands, but in usual - rather frustrating - fashion these dropped points mean we'll still need some big results and other results going our way. We finish Ukraine (A) England (H)... while the Dutch have Latvia (A) Ukraine (H). England can't be caught now.

50 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

We've drawn in Andorra, drawn at home to Latvia and lost at home to Ukraine this campaign, so lets not over-do the acclaim. We've had excellent home-and-away wins over the Netherlands, but in usual - rather frustrating - fashion these dropped points mean we'll still need some big results and other results going our way. We finish Ukraine (A) England (H)... while the Dutch have Latvia (A) Ukraine (H). England can't be caught now.

We could catch England if they lost to Andorra... unlikely

We need to win both games to even stand a chance of being one of the best 4 runners up and even then it might not be enough to get in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We could catch England if they lost to Andorra... unlikely

True.

I was discounting a side which has won 1 qualifier in history (H v Lithuania last campaign) winning at the unbeaten group leaders, World & Toulon champions and European Semi-finalists.

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

True.

I was discounting a side which has won 1 qualifier in history (H v Lithuania last campaign) winning at the unbeaten group leaders, World & Toulon champions and European Semi-finalists.

As Greavsie (is he still alive?) used to say, "it's a funny old game".

3 more goals and he's all time u21 top scorer!
Be excellent if he got a shift of first team action for Everton. Would almost make MOTD worth watching again.
Wonder how far away he is from that?

I wondered the same thing - Calvert-Lewin got injured playing for England the other night but they still have Tosun and Niasse. In addition, I had a look at the official Everton site and it appears Hornby did great for their u18s scoring plenty of goals and getting a first team start in a dead EL match last season, then has played well since stepping to the u23s midway through that season, but I don’t think he’s scored any goals for them yet.

As such it would be a surprise (although not impossible) to see him get a league game. Might get a look in the squad for the upcoming League Cup game against Huddersfield.

Most likely he’ll go out on loan. Everton gave him a 3-year contract in the summer so he’s obviously well thought of there, so hopefully he gets a good loan move and plenty of first team experience.

On 11/09/2018 at 19:58, Gordopolis said:

3 more goals and he's all time u21 top scorer!

Be excellent if he got a shift of first team action for Everton. Would almost make MOTD worth watching again.

Wonder how far away he is from that?

I suspect a million miles away he's an utter cart horse as far as strikers go in today's football his best chance to make it is convert to a CB or his destiny awaits in English league 1

I suspect a million miles away he's an utter cart horse as far as strikers go in today's football his best chance to make it is convert to a CB or his destiny awaits in English league 1

There are some negative comments about young Scotland players on here regularly, but this is quite possibly the worst one ever.

An 18 year old, playing a few years above his level scores five goals in two games and is labelled an utter cart horse [emoji23]

2 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Behave. You've watched him score 5 goals in 2 games and that's your conclusion?

He's never going to be Thierry Henry, but there are different types of striker even in today's game.

30 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Just realised he hit that 35 harder with his weaker foot.

Not bad for a carthorse

Not having a go at you specifically, but I've noticed a few people talking about his "wonder goal from forty yards" since it happened, and everyone seems to make it sound like a screamer, when the truth is he successfully passed a ball thirty yards into an unguarded net under no pressure. 

6 hours ago, kenny131 said:

What an embarrassment of a post.  Unlike yourself (your non attendance is implicit from your facile dismissal of Hornby’s potential), I was at Tynecastle for the match against Andorra. He played very well, was a constant threat, scored a hat trick, and got a very appreciative response from the fans when he was substituted late in the game. He clearly relished playing (and scoring) for Scotland. 

It’s early days, as he’s just turning 19, but on the basis of that game, and the Dutch encounter (which I watched online), he clearly has ability. He’s good in the air and on the deck, has decent pace, has commanding physical presence, and if he continues to progress, has a chance to make a good career for himself in the game. Nothing is guaranteed of course, and a lot of promising Scottish players fail to make the grade, but your rush to write him off is frankly pathetic. 

What an embarrassment of a post.  Unlike yourself (your non attendance is implicit from your facile dismissal of Hornby’s potential), I was at Tynecastle for the match against Andorra. He played very well, was a constant threat, scored a hat trick, and got a very appreciative response from the fans when he was substituted late in the game. He clearly relished playing (and scoring) for Scotland. 
It’s early days, as he’s just turning 19, but on the basis of that game, and the Dutch encounter (which I watched online), he clearly has ability. He’s good in the air and on the deck, has decent pace, has commanding physical presence, and if he continues to progress, has a chance to make a good career for himself in the game. Nothing is guaranteed of course, and a lot of promising Scottish players fail to make the grade, but your rush to write him off is frankly pathetic. 

I agree with you. Also noticed more and more scotland fans who will just spout absolute garbage like Mcginn was shite the other night, mulgrews been awful for Scotland or we played long ball under Strachan etc etc then when you question them they weren’t at game and didn’t even watch it on TV lol

Hornby has great potential it’s whether or not he has the ability to push on and improve every year.

Still think Mcburnie will be our main striker in a few years can see a big club coming in for him if he keeps his current form up in championship and only 22.

Not having a go at you specifically, but I've noticed a few people talking about his "wonder goal from forty yards" since it happened, and everyone seems to make it sound like a screamer, when the truth is he successfully passed a ball thirty yards into an unguarded net under no pressure. 
When so many Scottish players can't play a 10 yard pass under no pressure with their stronger foot, hitting a ball from about 35 yards with his weaker foot up and down then into the goals with his weaker foot is still very impressive tbh.

Archived