Brechin City v Dumbarton

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I know Little played as a forward for Rangers, and maybe right midfield, but does he have any or much experience at centre half?!

I don't think he does unfortunately. Right-back and centre-forward were his two main positions.

I wonder if Carsy could do a job at centre-half. He's disciplined positionally, decent enough in the air and a good tackler. Would also allow us to play Thommo in midfield. I like him a lot, but his very physical approach might be an issue at centre-back.

If Stevie even contemplates putting Carswell at CB like he did in one of our pre-season friendlies then I will lose my shit. I just don't think he has the physicality for it. I think most strikers in the league will breeze straight through Carsy..

Although Brechin might be the best team to put that theory to the test.

I'd far rather Carswell at centre back than Andy Little. The fact he brought him on there on Saturday and changed his mind within 30 seconds would suggest he doesn't fancy it himself.

I reckon it will be 3 at the back with either Thomson or Carswell partnering Dyer and Dowie with Little and Barr at full back. I'm not really sure what else he can do in this situation tbh.

Edited to add: wing back, not full back.

19 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'll call tomorrow's team right now:

Adam - Dyer, Dowie, Little, Thomson - Barr, Carswell, Hutton, Paton - Beany, Loy

Subs: Keeper, Seagal, Forbes

Old school 3 on the bench

Dare i even suggest this but at a push could KH play at centrehalf? ( puts helmet on).

9 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I don't think he does unfortunately. Right-back and centre-forward were his two main positions.

I wonder if Carsy could do a job at centre-half. He's disciplined positionally, decent enough in the air and a good tackler. Would also allow us to play Thommo in midfield. I like him a lot, but his very physical approach might be an issue at centre-back.

I agree with you on Thommo. I think he is best deployed in midfield possibly in a 4-4-2 with either Carswell or Hutton next to him. I see him as more of a complete midfielder than the other 2. Just as capable of taking the ball forward as he is at putting himself about. He has alot of positive aggression and I think his sharpness and attitude have been right up there compared to most of the other squad members.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd far rather Carswell at centre back than Andy Little. The fact he brought him on there on Saturday and changed his mind within 30 seconds would suggest he doesn't fancy it himself.

I reckon it will be 3 at the back with either Thomson or Carswell partnering Dyer and Dowie with Little and Barr at full back. I'm not really sure what else he can do in this situation tbh.

Whatever Stevie decides to do. It's going to be a tough ask for Dowie to hold everything together with possibly 2 out of position players making up his 4 man defence.

It is certainly a tricky situation

Hutton or Carswell would certainly be options but if we do have problems at the back then I dare say we might actually need 2 defensive midfielders protecting the defence. I'd prefer Carswell of the 2 as Hutton can be a bit clumsy in the tackle at times but I'd have neither.

Little can play right back so he should have some defensive awareness and a bit of tackling ability. It's also not uncommon for strikers to be able to fill in at centre half as they'll know how a striker would read the game and position themselves. Paul Rideout was particularly good filling in at the back despite being a striker for Everton and Rangers. I reckon Dowie will be the guy who closes down opponents the way that we'd expect Mango to do and that Little will act as the covering centre half. It's a worry because if Little does play centre half and Thomson is right back then we have 2 guys filling in on that right side. If I was Brechin then I'd be targetting everything down their left/our right.

It's not ideal but I think we'll need a strong performance from the 2 grafters in the middle of the park and I don't see a midfield do of Ross Forbes and AN Other giving us that.

I no longer believe Calum B's  injury is 'niggling'.Clearly he has a serious injury that will need time to clear up if it does at all.Get the niggling to f**k and tell us the truth.He has done very little pre season training...on;y light training i believe..and played about 50 mins.In terms of match fitness and game time he is well behind the rest.Very unfortunate as he could have been a key signing this summer.

8 minutes ago, super-son said:

If Stevie even contemplates putting Carswell at CB like he did in one of our pre-season friendlies then I will lose my shit. I just don't think he has the physicality for it. I think most strikers in the league will breeze straight through Carsy..

Although Brechin might be the best team to put that theory to the test.

If you're not moving Carswell back there then you're going with a back 3. Andy Little cannot play centre half, hence why we went to a 3-4-3 when Barr went off last week.  Brechin appear to have two midgets up front in Jackson and Melingui, if Carswell can keep his positional discipline then he'll cope fine in there. I would play this tomorrow:

Adam

Little -- Dowie -- Carswell -- Dyer

Paton -- Hutton -- Thomson -- Forbes

Gallagher -- Russell

I expect Loy will play though and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mr T. Rialist either on the bench or starting in defence given our injury situation.

30 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'll call tomorrow's team right now:

Adam - Dyer, Dowie, Little, Thomson - Barr, Carswell, Hutton, Paton - Beany, Loy

Subs: Keeper, Seagal, Forbes

Old school 3 on the bench

Proper old school is 2 on the bench.

Proper proper old school is no bench at all! ;)

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

I no longer believe Calum B's  injury is 'niggling'.Clearly he has a serious injury that will need time to clear up if it does at all.Get the niggling to f**k and tell us the truth.He has done very little pre season training...on;y light training i believe..and played about 50 mins.In terms of match fitness and game time he is well behind the rest.Very unfortunate as he could have been a key signing this summer.

He has a tear on his thigh. Imagine he'll be out for a few weeks more.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

He has a tear on his thigh. Imagine he'll be out for a few weeks more.

So it could be October before he is back.Id settle for that anyday over a GG situation.Trialists are needed clearly as all the formations offered above show serious signs of weakness.

15 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Same. I'm also worried about Cammy's :P

Could this be why Ballantyne turned down a trial at QoS to join us; because he knew he wouldn't be able to prove his fitness?

Anyway, it is what it is. I would be surprised if Aitken starts with three at the back tbh. I think we'll see 4-4-2 with Carswell at centre-half, Little at RB and Thomson alongside Hutton in centre mid.

Archived