Brechin City v Dumbarton

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok still not convinced that Dods is the man . But credit where credit due it was a great comeback from 2 down . Still got the fear for Gayfield next week . Regarding the  incident  surely if someone felt threatened the correct thing to do would be contact one of the stewards AT THE TIME  and let them deal with it , and not clog up this FOOTBALL thread with this they said we said guff.

If Loy could maybe look like a quarter of the player he has proven himself to be in the past then he could have scored a hat trick in that match yesterday. Also think he made a bit of a meal of the penalty claim. Looked like we actually created a lot of chances and should have scored way more than 2.

Dowie was disappointing at the goals and all 3 goals should have been easily preventable - which makes it worse to take - especially the winner at the end. Also agree that Adam looks an absolute bomb scare. I said so within 5 mins of the first game I seen him and all he has done since is prove me right. But he is a league 1 'keeper and I don't see how we could have expected much better to be honest.

Having watched the highlights there is no way either of those penalty shouts for us was going to be given. IMO the ref got both right and our fans that seem to be blaming him for the defeat are in denial.
Adam is a horrific GK. What was he doing early on punching the ball straight up in the air when no one near him? He could do a lot better with at least 2 of the goals. He inspires no confidence from me so got knows how our defence feels.

Having watched the highlights there is no way either of those penalty shouts for us was going to be given. IMO the ref got both right and our fans that seem to be blaming him for the defeat are in denial.
Adam is a horrific GK. What was he doing early on punching the ball straight up in the air when no one near him? He could do a lot better with at least 2 of the goals. He inspires no confidence from me so got knows how our defence feels.

I don’t think anyone was using the ref and linesman as an excuse. However, when even the mild mannered Tommy Hughes loses the rag and is shouting to them that they are an embarrassment, then there’s something wrong. They were rotten.

46 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I don’t think anyone was using the ref and linesman as an excuse. However, when even the mild mannered Tommy Hughes loses the rag and is shouting to them that they are an embarrassment, then there’s something wrong. They were rotten.

I feel your pain but if it makes things any easier we have been victim to some horrendous decisions too.  I don't think they mean to be biased , they are just shite refs. 

One huge thing stuck out in the highlights, where is the real Andy Dowie? Has someone taken him hostage? Because that guy that played at the weekend looked absolutely nothing like player that is pretty much universally rated by Sons fans (not many players recently can say that!)

I know he's in a back four held together by tape and glue, but he was the one I had no concerns about, yet Melingui absolutely tore him to shreds. Say what you want about Stevie's management and the likes, but there's not very much he can do when the best defender in our back four has a nightmare.

I also thought the highlights showed what Loy is about. I fully get BallochSonsFans point about him not being a League One striker (AKA an all action Garry Fleming, Jim Lister type who'll smash into challenges, run himself into the ground and generally just be a pest) but he very, very rarely gives away possession and with a bit more of a clinical edge could easily have walked away with a goal (the earlier header) and two assists (the Beany chance, and the goal). I saw definite signs of a partnership between him and Beany, albeit only in flickers, but give him time and I think he'll be a good player for us. Maybe not a prolific goalscorer, but he'll contribute - even if folk do find his style frustrating. 

If, come December, he has the same 'could've been' game then I'll be more concerned. But he's slowly adapting to part-time football and nightshifts and people need to lay off him at games. I get frustration, but he's very much a confidence player and shrieking at him (or any of our players fwiw) is a pointless exercise. 

Nice to see the defensively lazy Ross Forbes robbing Dill of the ball for the second goal too :ph34r:

Once the SeaGal is fit it'll be interesting to see him and Loy together. I love Beany, but Calum's physical attributes probably make him a more suitable partner.

One huge thing stuck out in the highlights, where is the real Andy Dowie? Has someone taken him hostage? Because that guy that played at the weekend looked absolutely nothing like player that is pretty much universally rated by Sons fans (not many players recently can say that!)
I know he's in a back four held together by tape and glue, but he was the one I had no concerns about, yet Melingui absolutely tore him to shreds. Say what you want about Stevie's management and the likes, but there's not very much he can do when the best defender in our back four has a nightmare.
I also thought the highlights showed what Loy is about. I fully get BallochSonsFans point about him not being a League One striker (AKA an all action Garry Fleming, Jim Lister type who'll smash into challenges, run himself into the ground and generally just be a pest) but he very, very rarely gives away possession and with a bit more of a clinical edge could easily have walked away with a goal (the earlier header) and two assists (the Beany chance, and the goal). I saw definite signs of a partnership between him and Beany, albeit only in flickers, but give him time and I think he'll be a good player for us. Maybe not a prolific goalscorer, but he'll contribute - even if folk do find his style frustrating. 
If, come December, he has the same 'could've been' game then I'll be more concerned. But he's slowly adapting to part-time football and nightshifts and people need to lay off him at games. I get frustration, but he's very much a confidence player and shrieking at him (or any of our players fwiw) is a pointless exercise. 
Nice to see the defensively lazy Ross Forbes robbing Dill of the ball for the second goal too [emoji185]
Once the SeaGal is fit it'll be interesting to see him and Loy together. I love Beany, but Calum's physical attributes probably make him a more suitable partner.

Totally agree. It's frustrating just now for us all, I get that. But people saying Loy is 'pish' is just that. Frustration. He's clearly not. I really hope and I do believe he'll come good. Whether that's soon enough for Stevie to see the benefit of is another matter...

Two Loy headers and the Russell 1 on 1.  All of those chances are ones you need to take if you want to challenge in this league. The defending on show was woeful for Brechin's goals. It's clear we need Calum Gallagher playing and I tend to agree with S08 that it should be with Loy. Also, if I was Jim McGowan I'd be knocking on Aitken's door on Tuesday night demanding a chance in goals, Adam is a walking brain fart.

And can I just point out - Carswell is removed through injury and we concede 3 goals in a game we just had to see out.  It's such a shame he's the one out injured and not Kyle Hutton. Interesting to see what Aitken does squad wise this week, we can't go to Stenny with 12 players, two of which are goalkeepers.

7 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

However, when even the mild mannered Tommy Hughes loses the rag and is shouting to them that they are an embarrassment, then there’s something wrong. They were rotten.

The last time that happened, I believe, was a shambolic 2-1 loss up at Elgin under McCabe (where McCabe made a complete fool of himself). If that’s a precursor to how this season is going to go...

Archived