Brechin City v Dumbarton

48 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A season and a half of fairly dreadful, negative performances has the majority of the Sons fans wanting Aitken out the door. A home defeat to Forfar didn't help either. You're right, we aren't exactly struggling, but again we're not where we want to be. I think the worry for most Sons fans is that the team doesn't gel and we end up with another season of inconsistent and shite performances.  

I hope it all comes together, but we need everyone fit and sharp for that and right now we look to be a far way off that.

You know what I don't think League Cup helps being so early in  season .You have less time for friendlies,  trialists at a minimum .. On paper the section set up s a good idea but it's all for the full timers . 

I think managers / committee s plans are really hindered by this .A lot of our players don t look near match fit yet  lot looking heavy . 

In fact that's the reason we have 1 win in 40 league games ... The new set up  ha ha ha ... 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Why is Aitken under pressure ? It's hardly a disaster your start to season and no shame on being relegated last season you guys have done part time footy proud . Swap fortunes with you guys any day . You ve a great squad once you gel you won t be far away 

sons fans are split on this..just read our thread.Basically dire turgid performances over the past couple of seasons have wearied many fans.We mix in the realism of low budgets etc so most fans are willing to give him until the first quarter to improve things.But the pressure is on deffo,

12 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

sons fans are split on this..just read our thread.Basically dire turgid performances over the past couple of seasons have wearied many fans.We mix in the realism of low budgets etc so most fans are willing to give him until the first quarter to improve things.But the pressure is on deffo,

Ah right never  thought it was that bad .

We have a committee who are happy to lose games and see dwindling home attendances.  As longs the boardrooms well stocked on a Saturday they re happy . 

I reckon Stevie will be delighted that this game's away to be honest. If it had been at home and we lost then he'd be in for it from a large percentage of our home support.

After this and Stenny I think we'll have a good idea of how we're looking this season. Ten points from our first five games would be an excellent return all things considered. Four would be dire, and he'd be heading into a couple of home games under serious pressure. 

3 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I reckon Stevie will be delighted that this game's away to be honest. If it had been at home and we lost then he'd be in for it from a large percentage of our home support.

After this and Stenny I think we'll have a good idea of how we're looking this season. Ten points from our first five games would be an excellent return all things considered. Four would be dire, and he'd be heading into a couple of home games under serious pressure. 

If 9 points aren't achieved from the next 3 games I'll be fairly disappointed.  I don't mean any disrespect there, but if we're serious about mounting a challenge then Brechin, Stenny and Montrose need to be dispatched. That would take us into games against Airdrie and Raith with a good bit of momentum and confidence.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If 9 points aren't achieved from the next 3 games I'll be fairly disappointed.  I don't mean any disrespect there, but if we're serious about mounting a challenge then Brechin, Stenny and Montrose need to be dispatched. That would take us into games against Airdrie and Raith with a good bit of momentum and confidence.

I agree. Given our injury issues I'd be quite happy with seven out of nine to be fair, but anything less than that would have to be an underachievement.

That is no slight at all on the teams we are playing by the way. Stevie's built a squad good enough to make us joint favourites for the league, it's now down to him to mould them into an effective team. At the moment, barring a handful of impressive bursts, he hasn't managed that yet, and Ross Forbes' goal last week may have just bought him a wee bit extra time from the fans. Weirdly I've had the Stenny game in my head as the day we'll know how the season will go for a while. I don't know if it's just throwbacks to Chapman and the 4-0 game that ended his tenure or what, but that game has been sticking out since the fixture list was published as an important one for me.

Our last run of three consecutive victories started with an away trip to Brechin. So hopefully that's a sign 8) 

Just now, Infirmary Street said:

Looking forward to this one. Worth £15 of anyone's money to watch Ross Forbes walk around for 90 minutes again.

I'll probably just pick a spot and stick with it, and then move at half-time to be honest.

This.

I'll be expecting 9 from 9 and would probably deem 7 from 9 acceptable. Anything less and I'll be massively disappointed. To challenge in this league you need to put a run of results together, something we seem incapable of in recent times.

I actually don't think Aitken and a few of the players have done themselves any favours during the summer with some of the comments they made. We've had Aitken promising better football and 2 or 3 of our players telling us we'll be challenging for the league. Add to that the fact we have made some impressive signings and fans are quite rightly expecting results. Not that I'd be expecting Aitken to tell us this season would be tough, bit of a catch 22 for him in that sense.

The whole team needing time to gel/players getting used to this level/players needing to get up to fitness excuses are losing substance with each passing week. We are now EIGHT competitive games into the season, I'd be expecting the team to be fit, firing and have developed an understanding with their team mates by this stage. The next three games are huge for Aitken.

One thing that has been in the back of my mind is John Steele with regards the manager situation. He's been a breath of fresh air so far but he does strike me as the friendly, loveable type. Will he have the balls to take action if we are struggling after quarter 1?

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

One thing that has been in the back of my mind is John Steele with regards the manager situation. He's been a breath of fresh air so far but he does strike me as the friendly, loveable type. Will he have the balls to take action if we are struggling after quarter 1?

John's middle name is "Ballsof".  

In all seriousness, given the money situation at the club, if we are not on target then I fully expect Stevie will be emptied.  

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This.

I'll be expecting 9 from 9 and would probably deem 7 from 9 acceptable. Anything less and I'll be massively disappointed. To challenge in this league you need to put a run of results together, something we seem incapable of in recent times.

I actually don't think Aitken and a few of the players have done themselves any favours during the summer with some of the comments they made. We've had Aitken promising better football and 2 or 3 of our players telling us we'll be challenging for the league. Add to that the fact we have made some impressive signings and fans are quite rightly expecting results. Not that I'd be expecting Aitken to tell us this season would be tough, bit of a catch 22 for him in that sense.

The whole team needing time to gel/players getting used to this level/players needing to get up to fitness excuses are losing substance with each passing week. We are now EIGHT competitive games into the season, I'd be expecting the team to be fit, firing and have developed an understanding with their team mates by this stage. The next three games are huge for Aitken.

As regards your opening paragraph, I no longer expect anything; I've walked out early on one game (Paisley) and felt strongly like doing so at the Forfar game.  When what's on view becomes borderline unprofessional that's my reaction.

As has already been intimated, a squad which looked decent on paper is proving to be anything but in reality, and no, I'm sorry but the need to gel only stretches so far.  Stevie Aitken was not wrong to talk up our prospects but I think some of our players now need to take along hard look at themselves, especially with regard to their personal fitness levels. 

Not many fans were disappointed with the majority of the signings and I think we all realise the tough times the club is going thro, but thus far the collective and individual performances have been way below par.  For a ten minute spell in the second half last week one player in particular delivered a series of kamikaze passes, each of which could easily have resulted in an Arbroath goal, to the extent that I thought an Asian betting syndicate was involved.

SA can be blamed for many things but some stuff is down to the players.  And in the middle of it all we have the Dumbarton Triangle of injury, previous long-term residents Gallagher and Handling worryingly being replaced by C.Ballantine.

The injury update for this one will be very interesting. I agree we need 9 from 9 in the next three games, but I’m not confident we’ll get it.

One thing I actually think will be crucial is Rory Loy getting his first goal (another reason why we should’ve given him the Forfar pen). If we get the player we all expected, it would be an absolute game changer. Once he opens his account, I think we’ll see his confidence pick up massively. However, the longer he goes without getting it, the more of an issue it will become.

RL like most strikers relies on confidence hence his run in the team.But like most things if he isnt scoring goals and our league position is not great  then maybe by the end of Q1 we should see him benched.He is a professional and so should act like one.No one player can be bigger than the club.

16 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Perry, Mango and Ballantyne all out. On the positive side Little is back, but I've no idea how we'll be able to play a back four. 

I'll call tomorrow's team right now:

Adam - Dyer, Dowie, Little, Thomson - Barr, Carswell, Hutton, Paton - Beany, Loy

Subs: Keeper, Seagal, Forbes

Old school 3 on the bench

Archived