NCAA Football 2018

Marshmallo

Poor semis in a poor season but the championship game should be good. Can't see past Bama by at least 10 points right enough.
Will need a big improvement in the second half, Clemson lead 31-16 at the break. Bama haven't really got going on offense and have given up too many penalties.

On 01/12/2018 at 21:30, Salvo Montalbano said:

I like watching the college games but can any Americans or folk living out there explain why the crowds and TV deals are so huge for this and the basketball etc? I get that it's a breeding ground for the NFL/NBA stars of the future and all that, and I can kinda see why the students would maybe want their team to win (especially the frat boy types) but there seem to be a lot of families including kids etc. at college games - surely they don't all go to/have been to the universities involved? Even so, why do they care so much? I always play a pre-season friendly v Heriot-Watt when I play FM and I sometimes look at their results but that's about the limit of my interest.

I agree what many said previously  regards the ability to support  a local team.  Having visited about 20 college/universities in the states (mostly in the south) you cannot understate the impact the college has on the local community and how it is promoted accordingly.  Add to that how people buy into this on a personal level even if they never went there is incredible. You are almost expected to support the team.  Add to that the fact the university has so many teams and clubs there is something for everybody.  Due to the fraternity system and drinking laws, much of student social life is interlinked with this.

For many college towns they are one of the main employers and local communities make a living off that through services and customers.  Think the University of Georgia campus bus service was  the second largest bus service in the state and when I visited the University of Florida, I think it had 38,000 students, add in those working for it and those who benefit from it in other ways, this makes for a massive potential fanbase and customers to sell to.  Even the smallest local college has an intense local market.  Pride in your (or your local) university is almost akin to a religion.  Bear in mind that all of the above will already have been ingrained into you at high school level, it is almost a natural progression.

Finally, when it comes to marketing, nobody does it like Americans and you can include colleges in that.  There is literally nothing that you cannot buy with a college logo from a number plate to a BBQ.  I remember the first time I visited the University if South Carolina whose team are the Gamecocks.  It was not unusual to see males students wandering about in tees and caps or female students wearing vest and hotpants with the word "Cocks" emblazoned across them.  Pardon the pun but once you get sucked into being part of the university you are hooked, it is almost impossible to resist, hence the massive following.

Edited by Sugar_Army

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...