NCAA Football 2018

Marshmallo

Seems as good a time as any to start this thread given the first Associated Press Pre-Season top 25 was released today:

1. Alabama (SEC)

2. Clemson (ACC)

3. Georgia (SEC)

4. Wisconsin (Big 10)

5. Ohio State (Big 10)

6. Washington (Pac-12)

7. Oklahoma (Big 12)

8. Miami (ACC)

9. Auburn (SEC)

10. Penn State (Big 10)

11. Michigan State (Big 10)

12. Notre Dame (Independent)

13. Stanford (Pac-12)

14. Michigan (Big 10)

15. USC (Pac-12)

16. TCU (Big 12)

17. West Virginia (Big 12)

18. Mississippi State (SEC)

19. Florida State (ACC)

20. Virginia Tech (ACC)

21. UCF (AAC)

22. Boise State (Mountain West)

23. Texas (Big 12)

24. Oregon (Pac-12)

25. LSU (SEC)

Tough to argue with the top 3 and it's a bit of a crap shoot below that.

Biggest off-season storylines imo:

1) Urban Meyer's suspension at Ohio State - can't see them firing him but it's a distraction they didn't need when they have legitimate national title ambitions

2) Kyler Murray - replaces Baker Mayfield as the Oklahoma starting QB despite being the 9th overall pick in the MLB draft. Big shoes to fill and will his mind be elsewhere?

3) QB Battles at Alabama/Clemson - the top two sides in the country have QB battles, although the Alabama one looks more live. Jalen Hurts won 26 games as a starter in his two seasons, but got pulled in the national championship at half-time for Tua Tagovailoa who put in a stunning performance. It looks like Tua will start which Hurts has been vocally not happy about. Kelly Bryant should be more secure at Clemson but true freshman Trevor Lawrence broke all DeShaun Watson's Georgia state high school records and has been described as a "once in a generation talent".

4) Can a group of 5 team make the playoff? - UCF went undefeated last year and did not get close to the playoff. They then beat Auburn (who'd beaten both Alabama and Georgia) in their bowl game. It's doubtful a non-power conference team will be that strong this year but it's interesting to think what would be required.

5) Coaching changes - Chip Kelly is back at UCLA, Scott Frost goes to Nebraska, Willie Taggart is at FSU, Jimbo Fisher is at Texas A&M and Dan Mullin is at Florida. That's some big names and big programs.

I'll predict

ACC - Clemson over Miami

Big 10 - Ohio State over Wisconsin

Big 12 - Oklahoma over TCU

Pac-12 - Washington over USC

SEC - Alabama over Georgia

Playoff discussion is likely to be whether the Pac-12 champs have done enough on the non-conference schedule to merit inclusion, whether a team out of the Big 10 can get in with 2 losses, and whether a non-SEC champ like Georgia/Auburn deserves to make it as they did last year.

I'll guess

1) Clemson

2) Alabama

3) Ohio State

4) Washington

With Clemson beating Ohio State in the national championship.

I've only been following yankball for about 4 years and last year was the first time I made a proper effort with the college stuff, and I have to say I much prefer it to the NFL. It feels much more authentic, the games seem to mean more, and the teams are all distinct with heaps of tradition. Really can't wait for it to start.

I know people have said before that they struggle to decipher what to care about since there's so many games, so I'll try and pick out a top 5 every week which deserve your attention.

Are Notre Dame likely to be any good this year? Seem to be ranked pretty highly when they've not been great for quite a while now? Are they still living off former glories? I never thought Jalen Hurts was that good albeit he had a great record (of course Bama under Saban win a lot more than they lose), it'll be interested to see what they do. I didn't catch much NCAA last year; hopefully I'll catch more this year on Saturday nights.

Seems as good a time as any to start this thread given the first Associated Press Pre-Season top 25 was released today:
1. Alabama (SEC)
2. Clemson (ACC)
3. Georgia (SEC)
4. Wisconsin (Big 10)
5. Ohio State (Big 10)
6. Washington (Pac-12)
7. Oklahoma (Big 12)
8. Miami (ACC)
9. Auburn (SEC)
10. Penn State (Big 10)
11. Michigan State (Big 10)
12. Notre Dame (Independent)
13. Stanford (Pac-12)
14. Michigan (Big 10)
15. USC (Pac-12)
16. TCU (Big 12)
17. West Virginia (Big 12)
18. Mississippi State (SEC)
19. Florida State (ACC)
20. Virginia Tech (ACC)
21. UCF (AAC)
22. Boise State (Mountain West)
23. Texas (Big 12)
24. Oregon (Pac-12)
25. LSU (SEC)

Tough to argue with the top 3 and it's a bit of a crap shoot below that.

Biggest off-season storylines imo:
1) Urban Meyer's suspension at Ohio State - can't see them firing him but it's a distraction they didn't need when they have legitimate national title ambitions
2) Kyler Murray - replaces Baker Mayfield as the Oklahoma starting QB despite being the 9th overall pick in the MLB draft. Big shoes to fill and will his mind be elsewhere?
3) QB Battles at Alabama/Clemson - the top two sides in the country have QB battles, although the Alabama one looks more live. Jalen Hurts won 26 games as a starter in his two seasons, but got pulled in the national championship at half-time for Tua Tagovailoa who put in a stunning performance. It looks like Tua will start which Hurts has been vocally not happy about. Kelly Bryant should be more secure at Clemson but true freshman Trevor Lawrence broke all DeShaun Watson's Georgia state high school records and has been described as a "once in a generation talent".
4) Can a group of 5 team make the playoff? - UCF went undefeated last year and did not get close to the playoff. They then beat Auburn (who'd beaten both Alabama and Georgia) in their bowl game. It's doubtful a non-power conference team will be that strong this year but it's interesting to think what would be required.
5) Coaching changes - Chip Kelly is back at UCLA, Scott Frost goes to Nebraska, Willie Taggart is at FSU, Jimbo Fisher is at Texas A&M and Dan Mullin is at Florida. That's some big names and big programs.

I'll predict
ACC - Clemson over Miami
Big 10 - Ohio State over Wisconsin
Big 12 - Oklahoma over TCU
Pac-12 - Washington over USC
SEC - Alabama over Georgia
Playoff discussion is likely to be whether the Pac-12 champs have done enough on the non-conference schedule to merit inclusion, whether a team out of the Big 10 can get in with 2 losses, and whether a non-SEC champ like Georgia/Auburn deserves to make it as they did last year.
I'll guess
1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Ohio State
4) Washington
With Clemson beating Ohio State in the national championship.

I've only been following yankball for about 4 years and last year was the first time I made a proper effort with the college stuff, and I have to say I much prefer it to the NFL. It feels much more authentic, the games seem to mean more, and the teams are all distinct with heaps of tradition. Really can't wait for it to start.

I know people have said before that they struggle to decipher what to care about since there's so many games, so I'll try and pick out a top 5 every week which deserve your attention.

Fantastic opening post by the way [emoji1303]

49 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Between TSN and the Buffalo channels I receive, there are 10 games on TV this Saturday.

Between my missus and her 'plans' for Saturday, I predict I get to see the last quarter of the Louisville-Bama game at most

11 games in the UK from Thursday to Monday night. Annoyingly a couple of the best ones aren't being shown/.

On 28/08/2018 at 17:42, Marshmallo said:

11 games in the UK from Thursday to Monday night. Annoyingly a couple of the best ones aren't being shown/.

They tend to lean towards SEC teams for over here, pretty much always at least one SEC game every Saturday. They almost never show Big12 games except, i think, Oklahoma vs Texas.

Edited by Super_A

Five biggest games this weekend (IMO):

1. Washington-Auburn (Neutral site) - Two teams who will have genuine playoff aspirations, returning proven QBs, talent in the skill positions and solid experienced defences. This could easily be a playoff game. Biggest game Washington will play all year - Pac12 teams will get judged on their non-conference when it comes to rankings and Auburn would be a huge scalp. Auburn are favoured by 1.5 points, I'll pick Washington outright though. This is live on BT on Saturday at 8:30pm.

2. Michigan @ Notre Dame - Two traditional powerhouses and both ranked in the top 15. Michigan IMO may be the most underrated team in the country, if Shea Patterson clicks for them at QB they could go well. Really tough division for them so a win here is vital. Notre Dame lost 2 players from the offensive line who went in the top 10 in the draft so the game could hinge on how their replacements fare. Mixture of spreads for this but it's essentially a pick em. I'll take Michigan narrowly in a reasonably low scoring game. Annoyingly, this isn't being televised over here.

3. LSU-Miami (Neutral site) - Again, two big programmes who are both looking to be "back". Miami looked great at times last year but ultimately fell short after years in the wilderness, and look like having an even better season this time. I don't trust Rosier at QB but he has talent all around him, if Ahmonn Richards stays fit he could be the most exciting WR in college football and a potential top 10 pick in the draft IMO. LSU have had a few issues over the off season and Etling and Guice being drafted leaves question marks in key positions. Miami are favoured by 3.5 points, I think they'll cover that.It's live on BT on Sunday night at 12:30am (I've taken the Monday off work).

4. Virginia Tech @ FSU - Probably two of the top four or five teams in the ACC. FSU were hugely disappointing last year and bring in a new coach in Willie Taggart. Both teams are ranked and will have potential to threaten the top 10 over the season. FSU are favoured by 7.5 points, I think they'll win but it's a tighter game than that spread IMO. Live on BT at 1am on Monday night.

5. FAU @ Oklahoma - Kyler Murray replacing Baker Mayfield, Lane Kiffin  in a big spot and FAU are going to be one of the best group of five teams in the country. Should be great fun. Oklahoma are favoured by 21 points - they'll win but won't cover. Not on UK TV.

Honourable mentions to Louisville-Alabama (would've been interesting if Lamar Jackson was still at Louisville) and Ole Miss-Texas Tech which will be a shoot out.

Well I'm glad that this site was down during the Huskies game. As I wouldost likely have been spamming it with expletives. End of the day folk are blaming the officials. But we need look no further than our redzone play calling. Three trips and three points. Brutal. Playoffs almost certainly gone and it's all about winning the PAC 12 now and hoping for the best. 

Pretty gutted Michigan lost, I can't stand Notre Dame, what kind of school can't even pronounce their own name properly? 

Missus went out on Saturday so I had free reign over the remote. Started off watching Florida Atlanta v Oklahoma, realised it was pump, switched to Ole Miss v Texas Tech and had already missed 3 touchdowns.  Caught some of WVU v Tennessee, always good to see Tennessee lose. Watched a little of Louisville - Alabama game but wasn't a great watch. Delighted with the game last night, the sight of disappointed Florida State fans was just what I needed to get over the long weekend being over.